Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFID Tickets

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    I am not a fan of rfid systems. Ticket scanners make the resort feel more human. To me it seems like this societies stupid obsession with wireless, kinda electronics with the slow inefficient wireless chargers and bluetooth for earbuds.
    Regarding the human element, you still have a person monitoring the RFID gate, standing there talking to you, asking you how your day is going... iin fact that person is often more freed up to be human and engaging because he/she is not struggling to find your bar code and scan it. If all is going smoothly through the gate I always see those people right there at the gate talking and joking with everyone at stowe and when i went to jay.

Scanning is a nuisance. You have to fish out your pass to present it, the scan guns usually take a few tries to read the barcode, and the scan personnel gum up the lines (and mostly add no particular warmth or friendliness to the place). It annoys me EVERY time I have my ticket scanned and I think paying scanners is possibly the dumbest possible use of SB resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
    Scanning is a nuisance. You have to fish out your pass to present it, the scan guns usually take a few tries to read the barcode, and the scan personnel gum up the lines (and mostly add no particular warmth or friendliness to the place). It annoys me EVERY time I have my ticket scanned and I think paying scanners is possibly the dumbest possible use of SB resources.
    With the amount of criticism that you voice Orca, this may not be the mountain for you. Stowe may indeed be a place you might enjoy more.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    With the amount of criticism that you voice Orca, this may not be the mountain for you. Stowe may indeed be a place you might enjoy more.
    Apparently having the temerity to express a few opinions disapproving of SB managerial decisions gets you an invitation to leave the place from the big man himself. Good grief.

You should know that honest feedback is valuable information, even if it is unfavorable or hard to hear. Feedback is useless if it is all fawning and truckling. You don't have to answer to any of it, but you ought to listen to all voices to distill the sense of the people who are your patrons. We posters here on SkiMRV are patrons who care about SB, we are part of the community, we value the place.

I missed this. LOLOLOLOLOL Seriously dude that is your opinion? Over the last 3 weeks I have been at all resorts with RFID and it is seriously way easier and better. What it does is gets people verified prior to lining up to get on the lift. You never see empty chairs or empty seats. My sugarbush pass never works. I can't tell you how many times my group has to wait for me in line. I am going to try new media again to see if it gets fixed. Hey even the lifties say those scanners suck.

I am not a fan of rfid systems. Ticket scanners make the resort feel more human. To me it seems like this societies stupid obsession with wireless, kinda electronics with the slow inefficient wireless chargers and bluetooth for earbuds.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Wow. Maybe try counting to ten next time.

Quote Originally Posted by southvillager View Post
    Wow. Maybe try counting to ten next time.
    My point to Orca was this. We appreciate all feedback which is why I read and respond to this blog. But it is impossible to be all things to all people. At some point, one may find that other offers something they like better than we can offer. That is the beauty of the free market and competition. We can just try to provide what we think the majority of our guest's value and when we get it wrong adjust. One also has to prioritize improvements.

The scanning isn't too much of a hassle. The employees that are scanning are far enough ahead of where the lifts load that scanning "gotchas" don't seem to slow up the lift, at least that's my opinion/observation. As a plus, the employees that scan passes/tickets actually engage with me. Real human to human interaction. I like that.

My RFID data point is just that, A data point. Wachusett started using RFID passes this season. There is LESS engagement from the lift employees. Generally they're focused on loading the chairs (a good thing) and manning the RFID "terminal" ( iPad or tablet) and not engaging the customers unless there is an issue with the RFID gate. I've seen countless times where 1 customer cannot get through the gate, and the line completely stops, leading to empty chairs. It's a new system, and I expect growing pains. I just thought those faults would have been worked out by now.

So, I don't mind the scanners and I really enjoy the employees asking how my day is going.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

In terms of engagement from lifties...it depends entirely on the lifty in my opinion and has nothing do with scanning. I routinely get more engagement from the lifties on HG than I do from many of the scanners on Bravo. RFID really should have little to no impact on interaction the more I think about it.

As for criticism and win's comments to Orca, there's a difference between constructive criticism vs what seems to be non-stop negativity about everything. Sure Orca has some valid points (i.e. the snowmaking one in the other thread), but perhaps it is just the way he words things sometimes that rubs people the wrong way (i.e. saying paying scanners is a dumb use of resources).

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    My sugarbush pass never works. I can't tell you how many times my group has to wait for me in line. I am going to try new media again to see if it gets fixed. Hey even the lifties say those scanners suck.
    This happens to me all the time. The lift attendant tries scanning and after about 10 seconds, I say "Beep!" and they let me go through. Probably 25% of the time.

I also don't think that the pass office is too keen on giving out a new pass card to see if that works. I could be wrong. Here's my experience with them. I lost a pass on a run through the woods a couple of years ago. It broke off. When I went to the pass office to get a new one, I felt like I was getting a hassle about it. It was unreasonable for me to trace my tracks back up through the woods to find it and going to the pass office was my only option. Not too sure why I got such a hassle or if that's standard practice to try to make people more responsible about caring for their pass. Now I am afraid of the people in the pass office

I also agree that the team at HG are always very personable.

Quote Originally Posted by BarkingDog View Post
    I also don't think that the pass office is too keen on giving out a new pass card to see if that works. I could be wrong. Here's my experience with them. I lost a pass on a run through the woods a couple of years ago. It broke off. When I went to the pass office to get a new one, I felt like I was getting a hassle about it. It was unreasonable for me to trace my tracks back up through the woods to find it and going to the pass office was my only option. Not too sure why I got such a hassle or if that's standard practice to try to make people more responsible about caring for their pass. Now I am afraid of the people in the pass office
    My experience when I lost my pass (happened at ME last year) was extremely smooth. They gave me a new pass no questions asked. I don't know why, but I was actually expecting it to be more of a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    As for criticism and win's comments to Orca, there's a difference between constructive criticism vs what seems to be non-stop negativity about everything. Sure Orca has some valid points (i.e. the snowmaking one in the other thread), but perhaps it is just the way he words things sometimes that rubs people the wrong way (i.e. saying paying scanners is a dumb use of resources).
    ^this^
    Seriously, some people aren't happy unless they are unhappy. I remember 2 seasons ago this forum became the complaints department for the CRP because it had no mountain view and the bar was the wrong shape and the lighting was not at the right point of the warmth scale.

Orca, if you want to leave, buh-bye. I love SB, warts and all. No mountain is perfect. For fuck's sake, THE WORST DAY AT THE MOUNTAIN IS STILL BETTER THAN THE BEST DAY AT WORK!

The mountain should try larger bar codes or QR codes. Mt snow has large QR codes on there tickets and they scan really easily.

The mountain should try larger bar codes or QR codes. Mt snow has large QR codes on there tickets and they scan really easily.
    It makes no sense to even think about investing any additional money in a bar code type system. If you're going to invest money in anything ticket related, it should be rfid at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benski- have you ever been to an area that has RFID PASSES?
    It is so much better than the gun technology. Do the guns work? Yeah most of the time. But plenty of times they are not scanning for any number of reasons. I have no idea what the investment is for the system, but it is far superior than the current system. There will still be someone monitoring people going through the gates, so there will still be a Human element. But my guess is - you will not see empty chairs going up b/c people can't get their tickets scanned.