Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 game on

Great seeing those numbers. Wish I could be out there enjoying it, but someone has to make the snow
    No problem, plenty of season still to come, including the best parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    It's OK Howie. You will get some soon enough. The word from the secret poachers coalition is that CR is skiing pretty good. Wish I could be up there but work sux right now. Alas. the weather guys are starting to slide the forecast in the wrong direction for this weekend. I hope they are wrong. What are the local forecasters saying?
    my peeps saying light snow to mix saturday, r$%^&n sunday and then a favorable set up for multiple light events next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    It's OK Howie. You will get some soon enough. The word from the secret poachers coalition is that CR is skiing pretty good. Wish I could be up there but work sux right now. Alas. the weather guys are starting to slide the forecast in the wrong direction for this weekend. I hope they are wrong. What are the local forecasters saying?
    Our guy this am said "Saturday cloudy, snow showers possibly mixed. Saturday night cloudy, chance mixed by morning. Sunday mixed early then rain likely". Then it turns cold again and the rest of the week looks good for more snowmaking and some snow.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    Great seeing those numbers. Wish I could be out there enjoying it, but someone has to make the snow
    No problem, plenty of season still to come, including the best parts.
    You and your team are doing a great job Shady.

Quote Originally Posted by winjr View Post
    Our guy this am said "Saturday cloudy, snow showers possibly mixed. Saturday night cloudy, chance mixed by morning. Sunday mixed early then rain likely". Then it turns cold again and the rest of the week looks good for more snowmaking and some snow.
    Concerns about the wind saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Concerns about the wind saturday?
    That is a long way out, so don't know yet. Hoping not as the front is not a big one (unfortunately). Some of the best skiing right now is off the VH lift!

Any info on what's going on with the Summit lift at ME?

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Any info on what's going on with the Summit lift at ME?
    We installed a new drive this and it has been getting irregular electrical impulses. The main guy who did the work is coming today with a new card which hopefully we cute the problem. Since it was so cold and only Rim Run open we thought it wise to just run Northridge until it was fixed and not risk a stoppage.

Yea, no one is missing much without it right now. Just was wondering what was going on. Thanks!

We installed a new drive this and it has been getting irregular electrical impulses. The main guy who did the work is coming today with a new card which hopefully we cute the problem. Since it was so cold and only Rim Run open we thought it wise to just run Northridge until it was fixed and not risk a stoppage.
    wasnt there a similar issue with one of the lifts last season after a new drive was installed???

Not really. We have been upgrading the drives on most lifts as needed. Last year one of the lifts we installed a new drive in was Northridge. The vendor finished it late and delayed the opening a few days, but the big issue was the motor failed and had to be rebuilt. Summit is scheduled to open today.

Now some other updates. First the good news. Today and tomorrow should be great days to be on the mountain. However, Sunday is looking like another "transition day" as the forecasters call it. It will be rainy and moderate to heavy at times during the course of the day and windy especially at the higher elevations. Not sure what time this will all settle in so the start of the day may be better than the end of the day. But it is a quick system and it will be turning a lot colder by night, maybe ending in some snow. Our groomers will be busy on Monday. Then the good news! Next week will have good snowmaking temps again from the base up and there is some snow in the forecast. Maybe not a big storm, but a few smaller clippers will put the mountain in great shape for next weekend.

Not really. We have been upgrading the drives on most lifts as needed. Last year one of the lifts we installed a new drive in was Northridge. The vendor finished it late and delayed the opening a few days, but the big issue was the motor failed and had to be rebuilt. Summit is scheduled to open today.

Now some other updates. First the good news. Today and tomorrow should be great days to be on the mountain. However, Sunday is looking like another "transition day" as the forecasters call it. It will be rainy and moderate to heavy at times during the course of the day and windy especially at the higher elevations. Not sure what time this will all settle in so the start of the day may be better than the end of the day. But it is a quick system and it will be turning a lot colder by night, maybe ending in some snow. Our groomers will be busy on Monday. Then the good news! Next week will have good snowmaking temps again from the base up and there is some snow in the forecast. Maybe not a big storm, but a few smaller clippers will put the mountain in great shape for next weekend.
    This may be a stupid question, but what's the difference between the drive and the motor? I'm no mechanic, obviously.

As bad and disheartening as Sunday is looking, we may be dodging a bullet somewhat in terms of how much qpf. Looks like we miss the heaviest. Should be close to fully operational by mlk.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but what's the difference between the drive and the motor? I'm no mechanic, obviously.
    According to this site it is the "brains"...I was more inclined to think the "drive" was similar to the driveshaft on a car, but I would have been quite wrong on that guess it seems.

http://www.skilifts.org/old/glossary.htm

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    According to this site it is the "brains"...I was more inclined to think the "drive" was similar to the driveshaft on a car, but I would have been quite wrong on that guess it seems.

http://www.skilifts.org/old/glossary.htm

That is a good way of describing it. Quite a complicated set of electronics that makes everything happen.

I am very impressed by the work of the mountain ops team since my last visit right before Christmas. It looks like a ton of snow was made. The new lift is very cool as well. The redesigned area at the end of VHT is excellent. Job well done on that too.