Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sbskier View Post
    Heard 3 lift mechanics at north gave notice wonder how many from south will leave?
    3 more? That's interesting. I did not hear that. That would be on top of the ones that already left after last year?
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    I rode it 10 minuets before it closed. The chairs were swinging. Seamed clear to me it was just a windhold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is certainly not what I heard from bunches of people at the Castlerock yesterday afternoon. They were there also. Ben we are all sick of the company line that we are being given. It is obviously damage control. They need to fix this. All of the questions that angler is asking are valid.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

At least 7 left last year and 3 at north are leaving at the end of this year

That seems like a lot of people to lose over the course of two seasons. I'm assuming that would not be the norm in the industry? Do you know what the cause is for the exodus?

I had heard that after last season, 2 were fired and 6 left of their own volition. Can't vouch for the accuracy of this, though.

What a great day today. Ripcord was fantastic. Top ten day.

Sun and soft snow hard to beat that!

Was on SB on Saturday when it went down around 3 I think. We were the last to unload and a guy came out of the lift house and said it was wind. I mean it was a little windy, so I kind of see that, but not that bad. I've definitely been on it in much worse. Plus with all the down time and times with misinformation this season you have to earn that trust back. I could be sitting in a class 5 hurricane right now and if they told me it was wind hold I'd raise my eyebrow a bit. Sorry. I'm jaded at this point and I will be the first to admit it's not a fair expectation I have any more.

Then went down to jump on VD, but saw it was spinning again so went all the way down and got on as people were headed up the ladder into the wheel house. So a 5 minute wind hold and people heading up top? Again I'm not an expert. I'm just asking here. It's entirely possible that is standard procedure to send people up into the wheel house on a wind hold but I hate getting the party line if it's not. Look and see I have a plastic pass and give it to me straight. I'm telling you that day a patroller skied up to HG when I was waiting in line when it went down and said "typical and laughed" actually made me feel a little better about the whole thing. Don't ask me how, but I kind of laughed and my take on the whole thing softened a bit.

SB then went down on wind hold at 4:20 or 4:30 on Saturday, but I'd say it was legit. It was gusting pretty hard. However I was a bit disappointed they didn't get VD spinning again. I mean if SB went down on hold at 3ish you know it might be coming. No idea, but could they just turn it on and send the lifties up from SB? If it's a huge complex procedure like readying a plane for take off to get a lift running again then I get it. Only 2 or 3 runs lost, but it would have been nice. Pass holder appreciation day and all.

Speaking of what was the deal on Sunday at North? I stopped skiing early on Sunday, packed up and headed over to North expecting the BBQ and band. Figured a nice lunch on the deck in the sun with some music would be a nice send off to Ellen for the season. Parked in lot 11. Walked up and there was nothing. No time was listed for the event on the ski report. Just that it would happen so I figured it must be for lunch. Did I misjudge that? Did it happen later? Did it happen at all? In the future a lunch BBQ would be nice and I think as I watched people eat their foil wrapped sandwiches it might be a bit hit. One or two guys flipping burgers and dogs all day. No big deal. It was my fault for not inquiring more on it before going.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Figure View Post
    Down for the day

Friday, April 4th - 2:40 PM

*** Super Bravo is on maintenance delay. Valley House will be open shortly. ***
    I do not know what benski is trying to do but this was a "copy and paste" from the sugarbush webpage. It may have closed later for wind, we left after the breakdown.

This is the reason for all the lift problems. No, it is not the norm for the industry, something is driving them all away, that is probably the entire department. My guess would be pay and that they can make more money elsewhere based on their experience. I sincerely hope this is not a cost cutting budget move. You want to keep lift mechanics around so they know the lifts common problems, quirks etc. It is not like fixing a car, they each have their "ghosts." I am more concerned about the crucial summer maintenance to grips, line maintenance that is key to keep the lifts SAFE. With all this turnover and inexperienced mechanics I am beginning to worry about the safety of the lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dblshot View Post
    This is the reason for all the lift problems. No, it is not the norm for the industry, something is driving them all away, that is probably the entire department. My guess would be pay and that they can make more money elsewhere based on their experience. I sincerely hope this is not a cost cutting budget move. You want to keep lift mechanics around so they know the lifts common problems, quirks etc. It is not like fixing a car, they each have their "ghosts." I am more concerned about the crucial summer maintenance to grips, line maintenance that is key to keep the lifts SAFE. With all this turnover and inexperienced mechanics I am beginning to worry about the safety of the lifts.
    Do you know what an average life span of a lift is? If there is one.

Tuesday, April 8th - 1:30 PM

* * North Lynx is closed for the day * *

Anybody know why? Broken, wind, or just no customers to ride it?

Quote Originally Posted by angler View Post
    Do you know what an average life span of a lift is? If there is one.
    I may be totally wrong about this but this is my understanding. A lift is a machine which is built into a foundation. The foundational elements are the footings for the lift towers and the wheels. The mechanical elements of a lift can be fixed, upgraded or even replaced. Sensors and electrical systems can be upgraded. It is only when the foundational elements begin to deteriorate that it is beyond repair. Therefore you should measure a lifts life span by how long the footings last.

So basically they tend to become out dated before wearing out?

Quote Originally Posted by angler View Post
    So basically they tend to become out dated before wearing out?
    Think of the single chair was about 60 when it was replaced. They also replaced the chairs and base terminal on the valley house at some point. In the lodges there is a picture of the lift from before those parts were replaced.