Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
RD the piece that you and others are ignoring is that the air is the key ingredient. The air pressure is what breaks down the water droplets into smaller droplets and also allows the cold air to do the job more efficiently. if you use less air and more water then you get wet snow. It seems to me that the new guns do make a bunch of snow. Maybe more that the old guns because of the amount of water they use. But there is a minimum amount of air that you have to use to get lighter/less wet snow. I do have experience doing this job back in college. I also have long time friends back at my old ski area that run the system at that mountain. This is not a guess. The air water mixture is checked every couple of hours at my old mountain. Now lets see how fast they recover after this thaw.
dude, you made snow back in college and that was what, 30 years ago? there's new technology and its not just SB using these new guns so there must be some merit to them. theyre not always going to put out a perfect product and I'd bet back in the day the old guns werent perfect either. bottom line is the mtn did a pretty respectable job of making snow this season compared to its peers. They start off slow because of the inherent water limits at LP, but once mellon opened up, they were on par or better than the neighbors. and that includes killington where it was a fooking disaster for awhile.