Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    I wasn't implying that MRG is better than ME for early openings, but I think Tin knows that. No need to rehash that debate, despite the frequent baiting.

As for the camera work, the 40D is great, but like any tool, it needs a good wielder. Greg's results speak for themselves, nice job and many thanks for including the MRV is your travels.

John
    ha I guess I got lured into the common pitfall here

I'll try to stay out.

Thanks for the kind words John. I appreciate it.

Did any or your S facing stuff soften today? It was unskiable at lunch on ME. The just above freezing temps combined with a low sun and strong east winds kept the ice crust intact. If you answer yes, perhaps this is a previously unforseen advantage of lower elevation?

Looks shady up there.

Sunny side of the street, MRG.

Not so bad, but we were a little late and had some variable surfaces and crusts too.

Check out some video here.

The best corn harvest for the next week is probably not at Mount Ellen. The light is so slanted now that even southfacing slopes get just a few hours of warming.

Follow the sun!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    Not sure how a picture of natural snow on one peak makes it better than another with the same amount of snow, but here's to the Mellen regardless!
    Not that I need to tell you, as I know you're just doing your job, but you can clearly see that the snow has been preserved nicely up top on ME. If SB wanted to go for it, they could have run the guns on Rim Run and Elbow and download via GMX, serving terrain all in excess of 3000' with a perfect NE aspect. No K-Mart stairmaster required and 1100' vert of real skiing. Can't say the same for any combination of runs/lifts at LP.
    BIG agreement. I know that the weather has not been great, but I am a bit disappointed with what has been done to get us skiing in less than two weeks. Maybe I am missing something (please tell me I am!), but I have not heard or seen anything to suggest that much, if any, snow has been made at LP.

Don't want to highjack the thread... ...I agree that the pictures are stunning. Thanks! Glad you folks stopped by.

With the exception of spots that receive a lot of direct sun, the entire upper LP is encrusted in an icy crust. I would call the conditions off HG extreme on Jester. I think Ripcord would be suicidal. I didn't see any signs of any snowmaking yet.
    I'm from Vermont and I ski where I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Tracks
    With the exception of spots that receive a lot of direct sun, the entire upper LP is encrusted in an icy crust. I would call the conditions off HG extreme on Jester. I think Ripcord would be suicidal. I didn't see any signs of any snowmaking yet.
    the ice crust report on anything in the shade today is accurate... i've never been so scared on a green circle as i was today.

another montpeculiarite I see?

from the sunset day that I posted to start this thread, here's what we call "SPAM" (Skiing Photos AMalgamated) on FIS

there's another SPAM with a dude and a dog making some turns atop ME on the site, as well as downloadable desktop backgrounds.

i'm sure you all know, but the view is to the north. hope to spend some more time dialing these shots up there after the next storm cycle...

Sweet!
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Cow with a view.

John

John , The dogs are stoked for snow! And I'm glad you guys are having fun with it but I'm having a tough time leaving the 60 degree bluebird days right now. So much going on that I'm just going with the flow but will be there for opening weekend. Enjoy! ; }