Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sunrise and Sunset on SBN

Thought you guys might like to see. Mods delete if you don't want the post and run.

Sunrise:

Sunset:

both click through to more pics. Sunrise was Wednesday November 3, and sunset was Sunday November 7th.

Sweet, thanks for sharing.

First SB stoke of the season - nicely done, Greg.

A nice illustration of why ME could be the premier early/late season venue in New England. Alas.

Nice job Greg. This is exactly what this site needs. More contributions. Hope to run into you guys this season.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

You all know I'd post similar images, but am confined to MRG this time of year.

Not sure how a picture of natural snow on one peak makes it better than another with the same amount of snow, but here's to the Mellen regardless!

John

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    Not sure how a picture of natural snow on one peak makes it better than another with the same amount of snow, but here's to the Mellen regardless!
    Not that I need to tell you, as I know you're just doing your job, but you can clearly see that the snow has been preserved nicely up top on ME. If SB wanted to go for it, they could have run the guns on Rim Run and Elbow and download via GMX, serving terrain all in excess of 3000' with a perfect NE aspect. No K-Mart stairmaster required and 1100' vert of real skiing. Can't say the same for any combination of runs/lifts at LP.

Just incredible pictures Greg. If you don't mind saying, what's your workflow like? I assume you're shooting with some high-end DSLRs, but man, that color! Just phenomenal.
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    You all know I'd post similar images, but am confined to MRG this time of year.

John
    I do think ME has done a better job recently than GSM at snow preservation. Having skiable terrain from 4K is a real benefit. I also prefer the lack of crowds at ME

The catamount bowl has been skiing very nicely though, and I bet it will be one of the first spots to soften tomorrow.

I've never been one for absolute first tracks though. Second are just as nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    A nice illustration of why ME could be the premier early/late season venue in New England. Alas.
    Thanks for the nice comment. As far as I'm concerned it already is! Don't change a darn thing!

You are right though (both here and in your later content). ME is without a doubt the premier logistical location for high elevation skiing in Vermont. The simplicity makes the Killington arrangement laughable.

Do you still ski around with Kevin? I know he said you and I should meet up sometime. I'd like that if you're game

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Just incredible pictures Greg. If you don't mind saying, what's your workflow like? I assume you're shooting with some high-end DSLRs, but man, that color! Just phenomenal.
    Thank you so much for the nice words!

Well for starters I shoot with a Canon 40D. IMO its the best ski DSLR if you don't need HD video.

As to workflow for getting nice colors: It's all about the light. Be there at the golden hours (a half hour bookend around sunrise and sunset). The pink in the sunrise shots was alpenglow. To be honest we just got lucky. I've been on ME for sunrise and had completely uninteresting neutral light, and this time we happened to get really warm really pink light from the sun filtering through lots of atmosphere. I was happy. I really wanted a line of skiers to shoot from all different angles since the light was "super-primo" quality, but alas it was just me and my cousin Mike. I'm glad I got some at all!

The sunset was warm afternoon light but I didn't find it remarkable.

Other than that a few shots had a polarizer, but I don't think any of the sunrise shots did. The sunset 200mm on camel's hump did.

Once you really get into hunting for light, it becomes less a nuisance and more of a fun puzzle. At first I wanted to just get "the shot" wherever and whenever... but now I realize there really is an element of a chase. It's fun! Happy shooting!

Keep it coming! Love the reports!

wish I could take pictures like that. Keep 'em coming especially for us flatlanders. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics
    Well for starters I shoot with a Canon 40D. IMO its the best ski DSLR if you don't need HD video.
    I revisited your photos last night.

What a stunning testament to the Canon 40D. Your shots provide both ski and camera stoke in mega doses. Canon should be calling you for permission to use your shots to sell that camera. You've encouraged me to be more playful with photography....to step it up a notch. No, there is no doubt I will fall far short of your great shots, but you reminded me that its fun to try.

I really look forward to your next entry. Like Howie says, its a real treat for us flatlanders.

I wasn't implying that MRG is better than ME for early openings, but I think Tin knows that. No need to rehash that debate, despite the frequent baiting.

As for the camera work, the 40D is great, but like any tool, it needs a good wielder. Greg's results speak for themselves, nice job and many thanks for including the MRV is your travels.

John