Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mad River Barn

Mad River Barn

I'll probably give them a call, but was wondering if anyone know if they are taking reservations, now that they are for sale. Particularly wondering what happens if a buyer is found.

Until Susan chimes in I'll just say that I didn't know it was for sale. It's one of 4 lodges on Rt 17 built the same year MRG opened so I'm surprised there wasn't anything in the paper. Got married at Betsy's place, a bunch of our guests stayed there and we had the reception there. She was awesome and everybody had a great time. I'm not shocked that Betsy would sell the place since she's loves to play golf, been a member at the Sugarbush Club for years and winters in Florida at a golf club down there.

The only one, aside from maybe Susan, that can really answer your question is to call them. She has alot of land above the inn so I suppose a new owner can keep the inn like it is, renovate/expand some or with the land build/developeme something much bigger.

If your going to be hitting the Bush, happy to take some turns with you. Maybe the evil Lostone can come along, the man knows the mountain better than most.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

http://www.roth-realestate.com/prope...urlistings.asp

$750K. Been up since the summertime.

http://www.roth-realestate.com/prope...AListingsID=54

I'm really surprised it wasn't already discussed here.

The listing has been in the Valley Reporter a few times, I think. I did send a pm Billski Sunday evening.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

I called this morning

I called this morning and got an answering machine. According to the recording, they are taking reservations for this winter on the net or by a third-party service only. I was only allowed the option of leaving a message for Matt or Rick.

I would leave them a message and hopefully they will call you back in a couple of days. They don't have a fulltime desk person so leaving a message has pretty much been SOP for them, especially this time of year. Can't speak about the net or third party res thing.

Assuming your coming by yourself the only other cheaper options are the new hostel set-up, $30/night for a bed per night and then I think the next cheapest would be the Golden Lion which I'm pretty sure you know about. You do get breakfast there and hopefully the AZ discount.
    Sugarbusher since 1970

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    I would leave them a message and hopefully they will call you back in a couple of days. They don't have a fulltime desk person so leaving a message has pretty much been SOP for them, especially this time of year. Can't speak about the net or third party res thing.

Assuming your coming by yourself the only other cheaper options are the new hostel set-up, $30/night for a bed per night and then I think the next cheapest would be the Golden Lion which I'm pretty sure you know about. You do get breakfast there and hopefully the AZ discount.
    Message left this morning. I tried again at noon and at 5pm today.

I don't need much other than a private room. Happy to share a bath. I don't do hostels any more. I don't always go bottom of the barrel, but I do like to get a good deal. I'd be back at Golden in a blink, but I'd like to experience the history before it's gone; seems like I may have missed some of it, now that Betsy isn't around. I guess the mice get pretty good rooms in the Barn according to the reviews!.

Did you see Michael's piece http://books.google.com/books?id=lf0...page&q&f=falseon MRG and the Barn? It's a classic.

p.s., why is this list so dormant? It used to hop? Did everyone bail for a better venue?

I guess you missed the pissing contest last spring and early summer. Just a battle of wills that went bad. Some left mad, others got fed up with with the direction the board has taken and stopped contributing. I miss some of the old timers like Bubba and Daevious. Hope when going gets good things will liven up.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    I guess you missed the pissing contest last spring and early summer. Just a battle of wills that went bad. Some left mad, others got fed up with with the direction the board has taken and stopped contributing. I miss some of the old timers like Bubba and Daevious. Hope when going gets good things will liven up.
    Too bad. That is the problem I find with discussion groups in general. I think there should be a mandatory face-face meeting of all forum members annually. I'm serious. Once you meet someone, even if it's for five minutes, you view their comments differently, you understand better their points of view. It's too easy to smack down a poorly written comment and have it misunderstood. I tend to have a down-east type of humor (a-la Bert and I) which is entirely lost on these forums.

And if I recall, there had there not been separate forums for MRG and Bush?

Response from the Barn

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    I would leave them a message and hopefully they will call you back in a couple of days. They don't have a fulltime desk person so leaving a message has pretty much been SOP for them, especially this time of year.
    I got a call back from Rick Causey at the barn this morning. He and his brother Matt are the off-season caretakers as well as in-season employees. Betsy is 80YO now and living in North Carolina. She put the place up for sale (this is not the first time), and decided in October to run the lodging operation this winter. The market is slow and there are no nibbles at this time. Any buyer would be aware of this restriction. She is taking reservations for Christmas through April 2011 and is handling the reservations herself. According to Rick, Betsy plans to operate it herself, along with hired staff. So, she will be back to oversee things and will be seen this winter at least through March. They will offer dining, depending on demand. Employees have been assured employment through the end of this season.

So, if you have never experienced the Barn, with Betsy in-residence, this may be your last chance.

Quote Originally Posted by billski
    Too bad. That is the problem I find with discussion groups in general. I think there should be a mandatory face-face meeting of all forum members annually. I'm serious. Once you meet someone, even if it's for five minutes, you view their comments differently, you understand better their points of view. It's too easy to smack down a poorly written comment and have it misunderstood. I tend to have a down-east type of humor (a-la Bert and I) which is entirely lost on these forums.

Agreed. We need to do to a GTG, have some beers and put faces to the names. I know a bunch of the other contributors but there are many I dont know who I am sure I see over and over in the GH. I spoke to SRO about this over the summer. We should get the TW annex to ourselves at an off hour.
    Tin maybe you can split this off and put it in the skiing forum so everyone sees it.

I'll bake.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    Quote Originally Posted by billski

Agreed. We need to do to a GTG, have some beers and put faces to the names. I know a bunch of the other contributors but there are many I dont know who I am sure I see over and over in the GH. I spoke to SRO about this over the summer. We should get the TW annex to ourselves at an off hour.
    Tin maybe you can split this off and put it in the skiing forum so everyone sees it.
    I would join a skimrv GTG if I happen to be in the area. Problem is, I dont get up to the mtn enough.

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    I'll bake.
    Can you and the other ladies do aliitle singing too. Live music might be a carrot to get more folks to come.
    Sugarbusher since 1970

If I sang, everyone would leave!

Seriously, I'll just give a shout on this forum when I'm around and meet up with whomever, either for one run, one drink or a piece of cake!

Do you guys have any sort of meet-up on this forum?