Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Village Run Trail Question

Does anyone know why the Village Run trail ends the where it ends? Seems to me there would be a lot of benefit if it were to continue over a bridge and people could ski down to the village and perhaps walk from there,....

the trail continues across the road, down the hill, past someone's living room window, through the woods, across the condo driveway, through the condo complex, past the pool, through some more woods, across the bridge, up the hill, more woods, and there you are.
    I'm from Vermont and I ski where I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Tracks
    the trail continues across the road, down the hill, past someone's living room window, through the woods, across the condo driveway, through the condo complex, past the pool, through some more woods, across the bridge, up the hill, more woods, and there you are.
    You forgot the stop at Mountainside for a tune after sking across the first road.

would'nt have to if you would quit plowing it! Although stopping in to see Brook and crew is always great.

I was told that the original plan was to have a lift over there that would connect the village but further developement was stopped because of environmental concerns. I believe it was black bear habitat. They installed all the infrastructure for a larger developement but that is where it ended.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

With all the people it could benefit, a bridge over the road would have made a lot of sense. I've never skied that trail,... just driven by it a bunch of times and always think what a shame it is that you can't ski to the base.

I'm guessing the trail DID go to the base, but when the development of condos and private homes continued further up onto Village Road, it was decided not to bridge/tunnel the trail. It's a shame as I'm sure it would get some traffic. When you look at upper mountain developments at places like Killington and Okemo, their access roads cut right across trails, and the trail either has a tunnel or a bridge.

It would be really nice for me if VR was maintained past Village Road, right down to Lower Village Run (aka Out To Lunch) as VR goes right through my backyard. Though I have no desire to take the upper section again - that traverse is a workout on skis, nevermind a snowboard. Picture Reverse Traverse, but 5 times longer.

Chez Henri and other parts of SV are over 50 years old, just like the resort itself. Village Run was designed as ski off, get folks back to SV not as a way to ski on. As others have mentioned if there is ample snow there are two routes down from where it ends. Both end up at the parking lot of Mountainside, cross the little bridge then ski down Out to Lunch to basically the top of the SV parking lot then down to the village double and then over. People in lower parts of SV like Center Village or Village Gate just walk over and thru the SV covered bridge to get to the same area as people coming down Out To Lunch. Personally, I would just use the lodging shuttle to get over to LP.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

That trail is a good example of a trail designed by real estate developers and not skiers. It's basically a scam to sell real estate. The trail so flat as to be barely skiable. You can skate in either direction with about equal effort. The last section that goes down through the houses is basically a normal trail and it's groomed most of the time. In order to make the trail workable there would need to be a traverse from up on Sunrise and it would still be a long haul. I wouldn't want to see the mountain spend money for a bridge over the road considering how useless the trail is. It's also pretty easy to walk across the road and get back on your skies on the other side. The folks in those condos are used to people skiing around the condos to get down to Out to Lunch.

If you want to warm up on a cold day try skating out village run, then down, hike across the road, ski and skate through the condos and sugarbush village and then hike past the beginner slope back to gatehouse. You'll be dripping withe sweat by the time you get back in the lift line.

Yup. No need to go over there.....ever. Much to flat for you snow boarders.

Well, it's easier than taking a plane to Miami, if you know what I mean.

The traverse is flat and a bit long, but when I have rented in the village I have still prefered it to taking the shuttle home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbooter
    Well, it's easier than taking a plane to Miami, if you know what I mean.
    I do

I personally like the higher traverse of North Lynx that leads into the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbooter
    That trail is a good example of a trail designed by real estate developers and not skiers. It's basically a scam to sell real estate. The trail so flat as to be barely skiable. You can skate in either direction with about equal effort. The last section that goes down through the houses is basically a normal trail and it's groomed most of the time. In order to make the trail workable there would need to be a traverse from up on Sunrise and it would still be a long haul. I wouldn't want to see the mountain spend money for a bridge over the road considering how useless the trail is. It's also pretty easy to walk across the road and get back on your skies on the other side. The folks in those condos are used to people skiing around the condos to get down to Out to Lunch.

If you want to warm up on a cold day try skating out village run, then down, hike across the road, ski and skate through the condos and sugarbush village and then hike past the beginner slope back to gatehouse. You'll be dripping withe sweat by the time you get back in the lift line.
    I wasn't suggesting that the mountain spend money on this,... just kind of curious why the trail ends the way it does. Ski in ski out is very appealing to families. If something ever were to be done to improve access, it would make a lot of sense for the condo owners to fund it as they would be benefitting.