Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pretty soon, Jay will be advertising 300 inches of Indoor Snow and Skiing: http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/1296...tion-projects#

Seriously, I will say, however, that an indoor ice arena and a 60,000 Sf indoor water park are certainly wonderful alternatives to attract families year round. And, there is no doubt that business plans that promote increased year round activities and cash-flows certainly help to allow for additional capital invetments to make improvements for the main mountain activities of skiing and riding.

Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan
    Pretty soon, Jay will be advertising 300 inches of Indoor Snow and Skiing: http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/1296...tion-projects#

Seriously, I will say, however, that an indoor ice arena and a 60,000 Sf indoor water park are certainly wonderful alternatives to attract families year round. And, there is no doubt that business plans that promote increased year round activities and cash-flows certainly help to allow for additional capital invetments to make improvements for the main mountain activities of skiing and riding.
    If you were in the Gatehouse this summer you saw the renderings to rehabilitate the "skatium" in waitsfield. That is obviously much needed as the facility in in its current form is a little scary.
    An indoor water park would be awesome. While this summer was warm and dry such that the mad river was available for amusement, there are many times when that isn't a viable option. The Sharc appears due (overdue?) for a refresh, so maybe a waterpark could be incorporated.

Quote Originally Posted by gostan

Not to get off topic, but I always thought it would be great if the Sugarbush had a few other "on mountain" activities to do with the family. A little outdoor skating rink would be a great activity - I can't imagine it would be very expensive to build/maintain. What about taking a groomer on the golf course to groom a skate/ski track?

I vote for sledding!

Sledding was once permitted (or at least not prohibited) down lower Racer's Edge after the end of the ski day, maybe until up to 5-6 years ago. I'd imagine that liability issues led to the mountain prohibiting sledding, especially after the base area was reconfigured. I'd think that a safe sledding area could be established on lower Racer's Edge or the lower beginner's slope.

293" would be awesome...thanks noski! I think the Pilots 288" average figure mentioned in another post is abit generous. I think it's between 240"-250". I believe last year the Bush got around 120".

Not to get off topic, but I always thought it would be great if the Sugarbush had a few other "on mountain" activities to do with the family. A little outdoor skating rink would be a great activity - I can't imagine it would be very expensive to build/maintain. What about taking a groomer on the golf course to groom a skate/ski track?
    During the ASC era I was a big proponent of having an outdoor skating rink so one winter the Bush decided to give it a shot. In typical ASC fashion they decided to fill one of the tennis courts. It was poorly maintained and IMHO at the time somewhat of an embassassment. It barely made it thru that one one season.

The Bush also for years maintained groomed x-c trails around the golf course. If you see a brochures back then a popular ad photo was two people skiing a track in the field between Southface and the Sugarbush Inn. It worked really well before the Bush built SHARC since the old Sportscenter was across from the Sugarbush Inn with easy access to the golf course.

Fast forward to 2010 we have a casual partnership with Ole's X-C Center at the airport. I realize that having x-c skiing would be convenient but it would hurt Ole's business. It's an awesome facility with beautiful views and only 10 min away.
    Working with instead of competing against some valley businesses is a good thing IMHO. That's why we no longer sell hardgoods(ski/boots) at the Bush. We are happy to refer people to the ski shops in the valley.
    http://www.olesxc.com/
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Good stuff, SRO.

Not sure where they'd put a skating rink in light of the current and future footprint of the LP Village. I'd think you'd want it up at the base so as to focus activity in a core area. If you add sledding at the same time, then you've got something. Maybe there's some space in the area between the LP parking lot, Village Run and the SB Village parking lot, but it's hard to picture. If so, sledding on Village Run right next door could really bring a lot of activity to the base area.

No doubt SHARC needs some love. It's pretty tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    Good stuff, SRO.

Not sure where they'd put a skating rink in light of the current and future footprint of the LP Village. I'd think you'd want it up at the base so as to focus activity in a core area. If you add sledding at the same time, then you've got something. Maybe there's some space in the area between the LP parking lot, Village Run and the SB Village parking lot, but it's hard to picture. If so, sledding on Village Run right next door could really bring a lot of activity to the base area.

Agree - it would be tough to fit a skating area in the base area - given the long term plans,... (Or would it??) Alternatively, great spot would be where the BB court is - just above the SHARC. I'm thinking a little shack that sell beverages, a big fire pit,. a little music Stuff like this doesn't cost much, but would make all the with families looking for other things to do.

Good stuff, SRO.

The sb village parking lot would be the perfect spot for it. That thing is a disgrace the way it is now.
    I know the ownership problem. That is a big problem.

Tubing

Tubing with kids is very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    Good stuff, SRO.

The sb village parking lot would be the perfect spot for it. That thing is a disgrace the way it is now.
    Agree about the location you are talking about,... I am not familiar with the SB Village ownership problem - what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    Good stuff, SRO.

Ownership problem and then a parking problem if you take out spots to put in an ice rink, though I guess it's pretty rare that all the bays are full there.

I just don't see it happening until SB and SB Village can bury the hatchet and work together. A rink would be ideal to help knit the two areas together during the ski season, but what about the off-season?

Some other while-we-await-next-ski-season aka Summer time activities:

Alpine slide - Not sure area serviced by Super Bravo can accomodate a slide but maybe Lower Jester (to further utilize the SB lift running for mtn bikers) else possibly in vicinity of Spring Fling, Easy Rider, or even Cat's Meow or Village Run

Paintball - The Out To Lunch / Sugar Forest area would provide some fun terrain, heck I'd even mount a paint ball gun to my mtn bike's handle bars and rip through Lower FIS

Guided nature walks - not really my thing but I recognize others pay for this sort of thing elsewhere
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

I do not have access to any type of overall site or Master Plans, but i suspect that if there is no room at the base area , Other nearby locations could be considered. Two logical locations non-base areas are the sugarbush Health Club and the Golf Course. First Phase could be an outdoor skating rink as this investment would not be outrageous. If it is used by guests, and helps to bring new visitors to SB, then it might/could lead to a future new indoor year round ice rink.

And, I know that the outdoor skating rink at Sugarloaf is not located at the mountain base and it gets lots of use by families, children and adults.
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Skating rink is at the top of my list. We'd hang out more at the mountain with the kids at the end of the day, which means we'd spend more money on food and drinks too.

I thought one of the arguments made in this forum was that SB was "too family friendly" and needed to be more focused on singles and "nightspots?"

It has to be one or the other in terms of specializing. I will confess that one of my pet peeves is the family that brings their kids and gear into CR Pub so Mom and Dad can drink beer and they take up the space. The lodge is for families. The bar is for adults. Compromise: leave your stuff at the lodge and go to Timbers.