Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Noski-We want more!

As head of the CofC it is not your sworn duty to predict that we get more snow than any other area in VT, especially Jay, whose constant advertising in our fair Valley is getting irritating (and whose snowfall claims are so hyped as to be humorous) ? Can't we out-shill our rivals? BTW, when is peak foliage day?

Re: ok, Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    March will be much better this time around.
    Yea.................Bring it on!!!!!!!!! The past 2 have been the worst. How about Superstorm II?

The Storm of the Century, also known as the ’93 Superstorm, or the (Great) Blizzard of 1993, was a large cyclonic storm that occurred on March 12–13, 1993, on the East Coast of North America. It is unique for its intensity, massive size and wide-reaching effect. At its height the storm stretched from Canada to Central America

Re: Noski-We want more!

Quote Originally Posted by notorious
    As head of the CofC it is not your sworn duty to predict that we get more snow than any other area in VT, especially Jay, whose constant advertising in our fair Valley is getting irritating (and whose snowfall claims are so hyped as to be humorous) ? Can't we out-shill our rivals? BTW, when is peak foliage day?
    I would rather over-deliver and become honorary queen of the skimrv valley, so I will stick with 293. I can't possibly outshill Jay and keep my integrity, or a straight face for that matter.... Peak? I say (but I will say only here) 2:14pm 10/6.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

[quote="noski"]
    .... Peak? I say (but I will say only here) 2:14pm 10/6.
    If it's not too cynical to state(and as Lily Tomlin says, "No matter how cynical I get, I can't keep up.") I thought peak foliage only came after a three-day weekend. But I agree that we are a week ahead of normal schedule. High elevations in NH (boo,hiss) are even more advanced than MRV. What foliage extravaganzas do you have planned to keep our money in motion? *

*author's note. (I'm expecting the board police to move this discourse to their preferred location)

If it's not too cynical to state(and as Lily Tomlin says, "No matter how cynical I get, I can't keep up.") I thought peak foliage only came after a three-day weekend. But I agree that we are a week ahead of normal schedule. High elevations in NH (boo,hiss) are even more advanced than MRV. What foliage extravaganzas do you have planned to keep our money in motion? *

*author's note. (I'm expecting the board police to move this discourse to their preferred location)
    Nothing this year, but I am thinking it's time to resurrect the fun for 2011. Anyone can pm me with some ideas. Remember, I am only 1 person, so it would require some volunteer energy!
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn

Peak foliage

Just took a hike on the Mountain. Colors are in full. Wind has removed lots of color from the peaks. The snow making pond is about a beautiful as it will get this morning! Complete full red, yellow, orange and browns. Just the right amount of leaves dropping onto the trail to make it feel like autumnal flurries.

Better be here, your going to miss it!

70F and full sunshine. The farmer's market was really enjoyable and full of vendors and people.

Construction is coming nicely for the new buildings. It looks like they are getting ready to put on the roof shingles.

Took my skis out of the closet, brought them out into the sunshine and did a little dance with them to bring some snow. I'm ready. 317" is coming. Time to ratchet up the exercises.

Think snow!

Re: Peak foliage

Quote Originally Posted by Brew Ski
    Just took a hike on the Mountain. Colors are in full. Wind has removed lots of color from the peaks. The snow making pond is about a beautiful as it will get this morning! Complete full red, yellow, orange and browns. Just the right amount of leaves dropping onto the trail to make it feel like autumnal flurries.

Better be here, your going to miss it!
    Acually you have IMHO 7-10 days until peak color at the Bush and the MRV. . I think most people realize that you can't really predict when peak is cause it's diferent depending on elevation and latitude. Having said that I think Noski's 10/6 is spot on. I was going to do the Price is Right thing and say 10/5 but Noski knows her MRV foliage like Egan knows every tree and turn on Rumble.

I actually took my camera to work yesterday to take a few pics of the construction and the foliage but due the weather anomaly, it was 80F last night at 1:AM, I got there early and the whole mountain was in a light fog/haze. The summit was totally in clouds but it's mostly softwoods up there so there isn't much color anyway. I wasn't planning to post them but I wanted to show that the color has a ways to go.

In fairness to Brewski, once the fog burned off it was a beautiful day and in places there was some nice color looked really beautiful. In the valley there was more color and it looked even nicer.

Useless factoid except someone..........
    Vermont has 70 species of Maple trees, the Sugar, Red and Norway are the most popular species. The most interesting ones are the Crimson King, they are the ones which are dark blood red in the summer and do not change color in the fall

www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Training For Ski Season

I am working out hard for a big dump of a season....trying to leave Mr. Burger in the dust!

Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/met...ch-31-2011.asp

from what I understand this is consistent with the consensus. pretty good. FTW.

A rainy october brings a snowy winter. Plus I didn't buy a season pass this year, so it should mean a snowy winter.

Happy Girl,

Have you thought about a SugarDirect in case it is an epic winter? $99 is all you have at risk?

SugarDirect? Hmmm.... I will think about it.. I'm shooting for Jan.8+9 for $40 ticket from the Conn.Ski Council days calendar. Thanks for the suggestion Win.

So here is an outlook from our friends at FIS. I love the part about upslope. If you haven't been following these guys and are not happy with the stoke on this board, I suggest checking out the trip reports also. These guys totally rip it IMO.

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/winter-outlook/
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    So here is an outlook from our friends at FIS. I love the part about upslope. If you haven't been following these guys and are not happy with the stoke on this board, I suggest checking out the trip reports also. These guys totally rip it IMO.

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/winter-outlook/
    thanks for the link over to FIS Hawk (and MUCH thanks for the kind words!! really glad we stoke your fire. that's what we love to hear the most)

Lionel did some serious heavy duty lifting to get this forecast, and has been waiting a little bit to make sure his thoughts from earlier in the fall have lined up with the outcomes we've seen so far. As I understand it based on talking with him through email, besides studying the seasonal analogues, analyzing the global weather teleconnections, and staying up to date with the long range research done in the weather community, he also traveled to South Africa for over a month to find patterns between World Cup outcomes and winter weather, went to Norway to put ULLR on notice for threatening to be subservient to "The Little Girl (aka La Nina)," and has hunted down and found out who the cigar guy is only to learn... HE IS THE CIGAR GUY. So yeah... he's pretty much got you covered

BRING ON WINTER!!

FIS guys rock. Thanks.
    Forecast is in line with everything else I've read about the upcoming winter.