Thread: fungus ID?

fungus ID?

So yesterday we were paddling along the east shore of Lake Arrowhead and came upon this interesting fungus......curious as to what type it is.

www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

The picture is too small and without knowing more specifics, it's a really difficult call. Get yourself an Audubon guide book!

John

It is attached to part of a tree that had fallen in the lake. Is it edible cause at the time we were pretty hungry. We paddled all aound the lake and this was the only fungus of this type we saw. thanks

In the late 30's the La Moille River was damed and the lake was formed. Lots of odd looking tree trunks with lots of greenery growing on the tops. This log looks like it has it's own ecosystem going on.

Sugarbusher since 1970

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    The picture is too small and without knowing more specifics, it's a really difficult call. Get yourself an Audubon guide book!

John
    Did you click on the pic? I thought it was pretty big but a little blurred. How did your fungi fest go?

Maybe chicken of the woods, but it is really hard to tell from the photo. I would never eat anything based solely on a photo.

Fungi Fest was a sold-out success and we have two more already scheduled for next summer and fall!

John

It's a poor photo, shooting at noon with sun out blew out the hightlights with my little point and shoot. Based on my old mushroom guide(1967) I too was thinking Chicken of the Wood or maybe it's mimic, Chicken Mushroom. I'm only familiar with a few mushroom species that I would cook/eat and this is not one of them. Thanks for the imput.
    Sugarbusher since 1970