Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drama

Drama

Wow. Looks like a summer of drama over here. Haven't visited much lately. In fact, I haven't been all that active over on AZ either. Just too much going on with family, job, life in general.

Anyway, I don't have the time nor desire to read through all these posts, threads, etc. to try and digest all of this. I will say that since this boards inception in 2005, Lostone and Tin Woodsman have been doing a good job as far as I can tell. I've been running skiing forums for a long time, and I know that a mod's duty is hardly ever appreciated. It's also VERY easy to claim over-moderation, censorship, etc., etc., etc. I hear it about AZ all the time. The reality is we're pretty tolerant, and I believe usually strike a reasonable balance of keeping things civil while letting folks express themselves and their opinions. We never ban anyone without careful consideration and numerous chances. Nevertheless, some people have some sort of complex and love to play the victim. Often times this type of drama occurs during the summer on skiing forums. Go figure.

And after doing this for so long, there is only one thing that is certain: You can never please everybody.

Nevertheless, I'm willing to take into consideration some of the criticism of how this forum is being moderated and structured (hasn't really changed much in many years). With that said, please feel free to PM me a SHORT Cliff Notes version of what the concerns here are. Perhaps include 2 or 3 examples (links to posts/threads) to substantiate your opinion. Please don't get all wordy on me. Again, I don't have the time to read some long dissertation, but if there are real issues, it shouldn't take long to direct me to a handful of specific posts and threads. I'm more than happy to listen to members' concerns and will take action if I think any is needed.

And remember, ski season is not that far away...

Digging a little deeper into this, it seems that one of the biggest criticisms is when posts are moved to a different forum. Please tell me there is more to all this dissension than that. Cuz that's a pretty silly thing to get worked up about.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    Digging a little deeper into this, it seems that one of the biggest criticisms is when posts are moved to a different forum. Please tell me there is more to all this dissension than that. Cuz that's a pretty silly thing to get worked up about.
    Well, that indeed looks like the root of the problem. I went ahead and squashed a bunch of forums. We now how Skiing (SB, MRG, and anything skiing related), Misc (everything else), MRV (non-skiing related stuff specific to the MRV) and Help/Feedback. Hope this is satisfactory. Now don't get all whiney if your "what I ate for lunch" thread is moved from Skiing to Misc....

Now don't get all whiney if your "what I ate for lunch" thread is moved from Skiing to Misc....
    Unless of course you ate lunch in the Castlerock warming hut. We might be totally dumbfounded about what to do then...

Thank you for your consideration Greg. The heavy-handed moderating was an issue, but not the only one. It was also distressing being told several times by LO that our contributions don't matter and that as soon as a few jerks are gone (namely me and some others), everything will be fine. I am totally willing to forgive and forget, but don't just chaulk this whole thing up to some post moving.

John

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    Thank you for your consideration Greg. The heavy-handed moderating was an issue, but not the only one. It was also distressing being told several times by LO that our contributions don't matter and that as soon as a few jerks are gone (namely me and some others), everything will be fine. I am totally willing to forgive and forget, but don't just chaulk this whole thing up to some post moving.

John
    Well, in Lostone's defense, one of the things I did see in my limited time trying to figure all this out was a fair amount of "baiting". Perhaps the post moving was the root of the issue, but then it seemed to spiral out of control after that.

Let's just all move on and try to remain civil towards each other. The love of the sport and the region is what brings you all together. Let's keep that in perspective.

Considering see the end result of this, I really hope no one got banned. I like the combining of the forums and it certainly will simplify things. There are already to many rules in life. When I come here I just want to interact, read and enjoy other folks posts. I don't want to worry if I do post something that I might be trolling if i put it in the wrong place. Although, some threatened with being banned may not always post properly or kindly. They generally make me laugh no matter what is being posted. I personally have not had any problems and this certainly should prevent any by me or any others in the future! So lets get the stoke back on here!

I did see in my limited time trying to figure all this out was a fair amount of "baiting".
    I doubt Atkinson has done any baiting since 3rd grade... Thanks for corrections, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by vonski
    Considering see the end result of this, I really hope no one got banned. I like the combining of the forums and it certainly will simplify things. There are already to many rules in life. When I come here I just want to interact, read and enjoy other folks posts. I don't want to worry if I do post something that I might be trolling if i put it in the wrong place. Although, some threatened with being banned may not always post properly or kindly. They generally make me laugh no matter what is being posted. I personally have not had any problems and this certainly should prevent any by me or any others in the future! So lets get the stoke back on here!
    Points taken. However, this all goes back to my point of not being able to please everyone. For as much as you dislike structure, rules, etc., there is likely someone else that prefers all that. Moderation is also a tricky balance sometimes. The only other option is fully unmoderated, and while some people prefer that, I would say it's not appropriate here.

Anyway, let's look at this as a clean slate. 2010-11!

Quote Originally Posted by gone.skiing
    I did see in my limited time trying to figure all this out was a fair amount of "baiting".
    I doubt Atkinson has done any baiting since 3rd grade...
    I wasn't insinuating anyone in particular, but there was most certainly "let's test the moderator's patience" theme going on.

Quote Originally Posted by gone.skiing
    Thanks for corrections, Greg.
    You're welcome. I probably could have solved this whole thing a lot sooner. The mods actually suggested combining forums back in the spring. Just never got around to it until now.

Barkbiter lives ?

Locking threads is as silly as banning contributing users.

Is gone.skiing, gone?

Nice work on combining the forums, hopefully that will make the site move a little more. Thanks.

Koombaya?

John
    John -

I'm sorry but that's revisionist history. This all started with Lostone moving threads to what was then the appropriate place. A few people disagreed with it vehemently and we were off to the races. You have always striven to post stoke, and I certainly appreciate that, but some of your cohorts here have done nothing but bait, troll and hurl insults at anyone who disagrees with them. If Lostone said some things that rubbed you the wrong way, I think it's nothing more than a man reaching a point where he can't take anymore. As he said many times - he didn't get paid for this and it was quite the thankless task. The constant agitation b/c of some moved posts was completely over the top, unnecessary and mostly just mean spirited.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman

John
    John -

I'm sorry but that's revisionist history. This all started with Lostone moving threads to what was then the appropriate place. A few people disagreed with it vehemently and we were off to the races. You have always striven to post stoke, and I certainly appreciate that, but some of your cohorts here have done nothing but bait, troll and hurl insults at anyone who disagrees with them. If Lostone said some things that rubbed you the wrong way, I think it's nothing more than a man reaching a point where he can't take anymore. As he said many times - he didn't get paid for this and it was quite the thankless task. The constant agitation b/c of some moved posts was completely over the top, unnecessary and mostly just mean spirited.
    I'm sorry Tin Woodie, quite a bit of revisionist history yourself there. You and Losty just gotta have the last nasty word. Both of you have tossed out just as many insults and mean spirited posts as anyone. You want everyone else to stop, but you guys still want to pass out your bs. That's moderating ?
    And how many times are you guys gonna drag out the old don't get paid and it's thankless work line ? What's wrong with you ? I wouldn't do any work even if I was paid good money if that's how I felt about it.
    A man just can't take it any more so he acts out inappropriately ? And that's ok why ?
    Even now, you can't let it go without tossing out more bs. And you won't like me not agreeing with you. Jeez, just go ahead and ban me like the two of you want to do ! Please ! Put us all out of your misery . That will make you guys right and it will all be ok .