Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    What do you mean by "all this complaining"? I made one post about on this forum. What a rabble rouser I am! I've spent the rest of the time here just responding to wildly conflicting and highly improbable defenses of higher pricing for a sport where value opportunities are increasingly rare.
    I see a lot more bandwith on this issue than one post. Maybe I am missing something, but you are the only one fired up about how this increase is impacting you. Seems like a lot of energy for what, a few dollar increase? Nobody said it was right or wrong and instead have been responding to your points. I just think that acting like you are entitled to a discount and then complaining because Sugarbush is "being overly aggressive" really undermines what you want to do. Sorry it went up for you. Again, contact Win directly.

This thread is too depressing for me, but I'm in the boat that Tin is describing.
    I learned to ski at the Bush, worked in the Valley to ski-bum when I was younger,
    and just love the mountain. I don't have any problems with the customer service,
    I think they do a great job providing a really quality (fun) ski experience.

The extended college pass is a great service. Last years 3 lesson / season pass deal
    for newbies was really exciting and innovative, and I practically begged my non-skiing
    girlfriend to consider making some of the investment in gear and I would have met her
    the rest of the way to make it happen. It was a great idea. (but she declined, regrettably)

But, despite all of this, I will barely ski my favorite mountain this year. I'm priced out
    for a pass. Day tickets are too expensive. I don't want to ski Ellen. The last few years
    I would get tickets to ski with family when they were staying at my parents place, but
    I just can't do it this year.

My younger ripping friends would rather ski Mad and Magic for less, and this year it looks
    like a prime ticket to Stowe with the Ski VT card will cost far less on a weekend than the
    bush, and all you have to do is show up at the window and buy a ticket.

I hope that the pricing is more attractive in the future to get more slightly younger people back
    up there so I can show people my favorite spots, and they can grow into sugarbush skiers, but this
    year the Skiing forum for me on SkiMRV will have more to do with what I'm doing up the road at MRG,
    and it bums me out along with the businesses on the access road that aren't there that used to provide
    some alternative eats and nightlife.

Quote Originally Posted by summitchallenger
    I see a lot more bandwith on this issue than one post. Maybe I am missing something, but you are the only one fired up about how this increase is impacting you. Seems like a lot of energy for what, a few dollar increase? Nobody said it was right or wrong and instead have been responding to your points. I just think that acting like you are entitled to a discount and then complaining because Sugarbush is "being overly aggressive" really undermines what you want to do. Sorry it went up for you. Again, contact Win directly.
    Yes - you are missing something. I made one mild post about it, and have spent the rest of my time in this thread responding to nonsensical strawmans about Stowe's CSC discount pricing being the basis for the downfall for AIG.

I'm not entitled to anything other than to state my opinion that it's unfortunate how aggressive they've been with the price point on this program. I think I can say with confidence that they have, in fact, been "overly aggressive" b/c they've been pushing the price of this particular ticket up faster than anyone else and are now well clear of their primary competition whereas they used to be in the upper/middle of the pack (you know, consistent with their other pricing options). If you want to reflexively defend SB in a knee-jerk manner, be my guest. I'll choose not to drink the same Kool-aid.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlucas
    This thread is too depressing for me, but I'm in the boat that Tin is describing.
    I learned to ski at the Bush, worked in the Valley to ski-bum when I was younger,
    and just love the mountain. I don't have any problems with the customer service,
    I think they do a great job providing a really quality (fun) ski experience.

The extended college pass is a great service. Last years 3 lesson / season pass deal
    for newbies was really exciting and innovative, and I practically begged my non-skiing
    girlfriend to consider making some of the investment in gear and I would have met her
    the rest of the way to make it happen. It was a great idea. (but she declined, regrettably)

But, despite all of this, I will barely ski my favorite mountain this year. I'm priced out
    for a pass. Day tickets are too expensive. I don't want to ski Ellen. The last few years
    I would get tickets to ski with family when they were staying at my parents place, but
    I just can't do it this year.

My younger ripping friends would rather ski Mad and Magic for less, and this year it looks
    like a prime ticket to Stowe with the Ski VT card will cost far less on a weekend than the
    bush, and all you have to do is show up at the window and buy a ticket.

I hope that the pricing is more attractive in the future to get more slightly younger people back
    up there so I can show people my favorite spots, and they can grow into sugarbush skiers, but this
    year the Skiing forum for me on SkiMRV will have more to do with what I'm doing up the road at MRG,
    and it bums me out along with the businesses on the access road that aren't there that used to provide
    some alternative eats and nightlife.
    I dont think its fair to compare MRG and Magic to SB and the other major resorts. They simply dont have the costs or provide the same product. The discounted CT ski tickets are comparably priced. I cant see anyone not skiing SB because it is 3 or 4 dollars more. Stowe, however, is a competitor, so how much are the their tickets using the ski-VT card????

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2

I dont think its fair to compare MRG and Magic to SB and the other major resorts. They simply dont have the costs or provide the same product. The discounted CT ski tickets are comparably priced. I cant see anyone not skiing SB because it is 3 or 4 dollars more. Stowe, however, is a competitor, so how much are the their tickets using the ski-VT card????
    I may not ski elsewhere b/c of the house issue, but I'll ski less. Not hard to find reasons to cut back in this economy.

I may not ski elsewhere b/c of the house issue, but I'll ski less. Not hard to find reasons to cut back in this economy.
    You would ski more if they charged $52 as opposed to the $56?? If so, I think you are in a small minority. and it doesn't take that many ski days to make a season pass or even the sugardirect card make sense.

You would ski more if they charged $52 as opposed to the $56?? If so, I think you are in a small minority. and it doesn't take that many ski days to make a season pass or even the sugardirect card make sense.
    Howie -

It's about the totality of it. As recently as 2-3 years ago, that ticket was in the mid $40s. Just 5-6 years ago it was in the high $30s. If I'm skiing 15 times a year at SB, that equates to an extra $150-250 dollars. What I'll probably do is buy a few Mad Cards and take my business next door for $33/day to try and even it out while still skiing the same number of days. It's something I've had to do more and more just to keep within my budget. I don't know about you, but my income certainly hasn't increased in recent years, so this is a zero sum game. If I'm going to spend more at SB, then it has to come out of something else.

As for the season pass, when the denominator is the CSC ticket price, the break-even is about 19-20 days, which still doesn't make sense for me. Sugarcard gets me to the mid $60's per day.

My comments aren't really about the CT ticket plan, just thoughts about the general pricing and
    the mountain turning more into a family kind of place than a die hard skier kind of place.

die hard doesn't just mean no snow making to me only, and I agree you can't compare the 4 season
    type experience of SB to winter at MRG but there used to be more of a middle road here.

Howie -

It's about the totality of it. As recently as 2-3 years ago, that ticket was in the mid $40s. Just 5-6 years ago it was in the high $30s. If I'm skiing 15 times a year at SB, that equates to an extra $150-250 dollars. What I'll probably do is buy a few Mad Cards and take my business next door for $33/day to try and even it out while still skiing the same number of days. It's something I've had to do more and more just to keep within my budget. I don't know about you, but my income certainly hasn't increased in recent years, so this is a zero sum game. If I'm going to spend more at SB, then it has to come out of something else.

As for the season pass, when the denominator is the CSC ticket price, the break-even is about 19-20 days, which still doesn't make sense for me. Sugarcard gets me to the mid $60's per day.
    I love our neighbor to the north, but MRG doesnt provide the same product on the many days when snowmaking/grooming counts. Not to mention the facilities. That's why I dont think its fair to compare the prices of what I refer to as the majors and the others. It is inarguable that costs have risen significantly, not just for skiing but across the board. Heck 5-6 years ago, gas was still around $1/gallon. but SB's prices are not out of line with its competition. If you are using the CT discounted prices, your cost for 15-20 days is only 45-60 more at SB than Stowe, Killington Stratton etc. Comparing the prices to what they were years ago is a non-starter. They are never going back to those levels. The key to the SB pass deal is to have a kid piggyback on your pass.

The good thing is,... if you guys do go up the road to ski MRG,... (I hear they have great early season snowmaking up there) you can now post your trail report in this room! Sorry, could not resist!

Its a $4.00 difference,... yes you are entitled to your opinion, but I say in this case, you get what you pay for.

A little news flash. Sking is expensive. Now one said it would be cheap(er). So $4 dollars makes you ski somewhere else? Try giving up that Vente no sugar soy latae. That's worth $4 dollars and you will now be even.

I could ski anywhere but I choose Sugarbush because it is just plain better. Just fork up the dough and go skiing. WTF. Give up the golf or the dinners out or the new drapes if you have to. SB does not owe you to be cheaper than everybody just because you used to ski there a lot. It drives me crazy to hear people say they have kids and expenses and it to expensive to ski as SB. No kidding.....again sking is expensive. So here is the solution, just get rid of the kids and you will be all set........
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    A little news flash. Sking is expensive. Now one said it would be cheap(er). So $4 dollars makes you ski somewhere else? Try giving up that Vente no sugar soy latae. That's worth $4 dollars and you will now be even.

I could ski anywhere but I choose Sugarbush because it is just plain better. Just fork up the dough and go skiing. WTF. Give up the golf or the dinners out or the new drapes if you have to. SB does not owe you to be cheaper than everybody just because you used to ski there a lot. It drives me crazy to hear people say they have kids and expenses and it to expensive to ski as SB. No kidding.....again sking is expensive. So here is the solution, just get rid of the kids and you will be all set........
    +1

I've thought about getting rid of the kids, but there are these pesky laws... and besides they ski free with my SB season pass.

I've thought about getting rid of the kids, but there are these pesky laws... and besides they ski free with my SB season pass.
    Howie that troll was not designed for you. I know you are going to ski.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Howie that troll was not designed for you. I know you are going to ski.
    I knew that but couldn't resist. I actually love my kids, especially when they are at sleep away camp all summer.