Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

CT Ski Council 2010-2011 Bulk Buy ticket prices

Sugarbush $56
    Okemo $55
    Killington $52
    Stratton $50

sugarbush is leading the way. Not liking that trend the last few years. Thanks for the update!!

I struggle with how many to buy (has to be done by Sept 24th) when I don't know the retail prices yet.
    And I have been stuck with extra tickets refunded at less than face that I could not sell to other members.

Selling to non-member is a clear violation of membership rules.

I look at this like the difference between good and great, the difference between say a Longhorn Steak House and Capital Grill or Ruths Chris. - maybe that is a stretch, but in fact it is between 2-11% higher ( if math is correct).

It also is a farther drive - far more in gas say $10-$20 r/t depending on your mode of transport. We all know it is worth it, but the general public may not.

I don't know if it is still this way, but Flatton used to not allow or discount buses, because they did not want their customer base to have to put up with long lines ( and maybe the whole stigma of bus trips - i dunno).

I fully understand the economy and how it could make a family buy lower - but those of us who get here, know it will be less cost for a lower grade experience - barring a snowless winter and the lack of snowmaking - which is always the wildcard in this business.

Either way, you know what is at stake Tim, and only you can make the financial decision for your family. If it doesn't snow and you choose K-Mart or Okemo - you win both ways - if we get copoius amounts of powder. . . . . . . . isn't it a lot like life, this deciding where to ski pre-winter?

Can tickets be given to family?

You have to be a member of a Council and present a membership card to be eligible to receive at ticket. They are not transferrable.

Here are all the prices:

Sugarbush: $56
    Okemo: $55
    Killington: $52
    Stowe: $52
    Mt. Snow: $52
    Stratton: $50
    Jay Peak: $41
    Bromley: $41
    Smugglers Notch: $40
    Magic: $37
    Burke: $36
    Pico: $34
    Bolton Valley: $33

It's really quite a shame that SB has chosen to be so aggressive with this program in recent years. It's quite frankly shocking to see it $4 more than Stowe (not necessarily known for giving out discounts) and a full $15 more than Jay Peak. I'm sure some will argue how superior SB is to those areas, but it's starting to get to the point where SB is really putting the squeeze on the guy who can only get in 10-15 days/year. There's no reason, IMO, for SB to be at the top of this particular list.

I don't know. I'm not from CT and I have a pass. Not that shocking to me. Skiing is expensive. Go figure.

Seriously and all kidding aside. There are a number of deals out there from all kinds of mountains. People that don't buy passes and just buy these deals usually shop around and get the best deal. So if Sugarbush only dropped thier deal down go get under Stow, K and Okemo, people would just go to Jay or Stratton. How many more people will this bring in? Not that many.

I would suggest coming out for the trimming party and getting a free ticket in exchange for hard work. Hell that's what I do and I have a pass.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    I don't know. I'm not from CT and I have a pass. Not that shocking to me. Skiing is expensive. Go figure.

Seriously and all kidding aside. There are a number of deals out there from all kinds of mountains. People that don't buy passes and just buy these deals usually shop around and get the best deal. So if Sugarbush only dropped thier deal down go get under Stow, K and Okemo, people would just go to Jay or Stratton. How many more people will this bring in? Not that many.

I would suggest coming out for the trimming party and getting a free ticket in exchange for hard work. Hell that's what I do and I have a pass.
    Unfortunately, logistics prevent me from doing that this year. It would otherwise be right in my wheelhouse.

I'm just wondering why SB has more aggressive than everyone else in pushing up the prices on this discount ticket, to the point where they are well clear of their main competition. Since I started purchasing these tickets in the early 2000s, the price has increased something on the order of 50-60%, massively outpacing inflation in the economy as a whole and the ski industry in particular.

To take your position to its logical extension, why shouldn't SB just push the price of these tix to $70 if demand is allegedly that inelastic?

SB offers a premium experience encompassing all aspects of "a day on the slopes". They should have a premium price, and not be heavily discounted. Consumers will pay a premium for superior product and service, it is the value you receive for your "hard earned dollar". Discounting will only lessen that premium.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck
    SB offers a premium experience encompassing all aspects of "a day on the slopes". They should have a premium price, and not be heavily discounted. Consumers will pay a premium for superior product and service, it is the value you receive for your "hard earned dollar". Discounting will only lessen that premium.
    Yes it is a premium experience, but is it the best in VT? Sure the people on this board think so, otherwise we wouldn't be here, but there are a lot of people who are going to shop on price. Also, places like Stratton, Okemo and Stowe claim to offer a premium experience as well. Is SB "super premium"? If discounting diminishes the brand, then why participate in the CT ski council program at all? Why offer deep discounts for the North only pass? You can still offer a premium experience while attempting to reach out to different market niches.

First off, Sugarbush offers many values that other area do not offer and a much better ski experience. (i'm an ex K emlpoyee + skier of 15 yrs) I was checking the SB site, you know they offer free passes to family of people in the armed services. VERY GENEROUS! My kids ski for free until they are 12. You can buy a season pass at ME for +-$600,.... Personally I think the CSC deal is over rated. You have to try and figure out how many days you will ski at the beginning of the year, pay for all the passes up front,... and then if you don't happen to ski all the days you could get stuck with worthless tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66
    First off, Sugarbush offers many values that other area do not offer and a much better ski experience. (i'm an ex K emlpoyee + skier of 15 yrs) I was checking the SB site, you know they offer free passes to family of people in the armed services. VERY GENEROUS! My kids ski for free until they are 12. You can buy a season pass at ME for +-$600,.... Personally I think the CSC deal is over rated. You have to try and figure out how many days you will ski at the beginning of the year, pay for all the passes up front,... and then if you don't happen to ski all the days you could get stuck with worthless tickets.
    There's no doubt the CSC tix require some forethought, but when you can't get up to the promised land enough to justify the season pass, it's a pretty good value. I've usually had success in selling my unused tix back for a reasonable portion of their original purchase price. Of course, the deal is becoming increasingly over-rated as the CSC price and the regular lift ticket price for SB converge at light speed.

Quote Originally Posted by djd66
    In addition, the Bush is the only resort, that I know of that offers the college SP price to recent graduates. There are also many other expenses/give-aways that most of the public are not aware of. This summer, as we have in the past, about 80 Fresh Air Kids and their host familes got free tickets for all the activities, anytime they showed up is just one example.

If you live in the valley your hopefully aware of the support the Bush, both montetary and service, give local programs, events and activities. The numbers are mind boggling everything from financial/service support to the big month long Arts Festival to something small like free lift tiks to the local volunteer fire dept.

My point is that pricing at the Bush or any other business takes alot more into consideration than just the inflation rate. I realize that most resorts also support their community and other valid causes but in my personal view, not to the extent the Bush does., especially in view of the economy. A friend of mine calls it the Ben & Jerry business model.

I think Jay has to charge a low price due to it's location, Stowe is owned by a company that almost went bankrupt and invested a huge amount of money on real estate just when the market hit the skids, they need revenue which equates to more guests, price points that balance their high SP/day tik price. Okemo is still paying for Jackson Gore and the purchase of Crested Butte. Okemo is now doing around 600,000 skier visits whish is pretty amazing IMHO. They need a pricepoint that will keep the bodies coming. Killington's new owners walked into a no-win situation IMHO. Skier visits are down to around 700,000 from over a million just a few years ago. They desparatetly need bodies, business on the access rd is way down as well. Stratton is owned by a company that actually did go bankrupt, the company that bought them is not doing great financially either. They need the revenue. I don't think the Bush falls into any of these situations.

Course, nothing will cure any resorts financial woes like a 300+ snowfall year.
    As mentioned I think $56 is a good deal, Just my personal 2 cents
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Unless there is little natural snow.

Not sure about the B&G comparison - they tried to do the 7X Rule ( highest paid people can never make more than 7X the lowest paid) back then the CEO couldn't grab more than$ $ 100K when Min wage was $7. Did not work (for obvious reasons).

All the 'good neighbor business' is great ONLY if the business (neighbor) makes money. When they don't they end up like the aforementioned Chapter 7 & 11 folks, and that does the neightborhood no good at all.