Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

plans to repair/replace snowmaking pipe

Just noticed this
    http://www.valleyreporter.com/index....ac=0&Itemid=38

Wonder if this will enlarge the pipe, or if that is even a bottleneck in the system capacity.

Re: plans to repair/replace snowmaking pipe

Quote Originally Posted by teleo
    Just noticed this
    http://www.valleyreporter.com/index....ac=0&Itemid=38

Wonder if this will enlarge the pipe, or if that is even a bottleneck in the system capacity.
    Great to hear! Any work on the Mount Ellen line from in front of Fayston Elementary to the base of the ski area?

ASC installed the original pipe from the Mad River Pond to Lincoln Peak over fifteen years ago. The pipe was not the best quality but has lasted and provided water for snowmaking at Lincoln Peak. This pipe could probably last several more years, but given the current price of steel and labor it makes the most sense to replace it this summer so that we have something that can last 25 or more years. We will be using the same diameter pipe and this prohect will take approximately 60 days once it commences sometime after the 4th of July. While this will not be a "visible" item to most guests, it reflects our long-term commitment to Sugarbush. Six packs abs are nice, but the main artery is what lends life to the body.

The pipe at Mount Ellen is even older and this replacement also demonstrates that we are equally committed to this side of the Resort.

Were it not for the continuted support of you, we would not be going forward with these projects!

Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by win
    The pipe at Mount Ellen is even older and this replacement also demonstrates that we are equally committed to this side of the Resort.

Were it not for the continuted support of you, we would not be going forward with these projects!
    So Ellen's line is being replaced as well?

Quote Originally Posted by summitchallenger

So Ellen's line is being replaced as well?
    It says on Alpinezone, that they are doing both pipe!

That is the plan if we can!

That is the plan if we can!
    Great news. Are you able to share with us what sort of increased capacity this should/could result in due to higher uptime and the ability to run at full strength?

It will more than double the water flow.

Wow, that will make a difference. Sweet.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

what does that mean for the uninitiated? was water flow a constraint on the current system? I assume it doesn't mean that there will be twice as much snow made but if it means more snow, yippee.

I think it means that the pond at ellen and tank at South will be refilled faster allowing more water to be available and can keep the guns going! Correct me if I am wrong.

There are two sources of water for Mt. Ellen. The pump house at the pond has two pumps that can put so much water into the system. The Van loon pumps create additional water flow meaning that with this pipe repaired we will be able to pump more gallons of water per minute and thus make more snow with the sme electrical generation. The amount of water that one can pump depends on the ratio of air and water that has to be used. The colder the better.

There are two sources of water for Mt. Ellen. The pump house at the pond has two pumps that can put so much water into the system. The Van loon pumps create additional water flow meaning that with this pipe repaired we will be able to pump more gallons of water per minute and thus make more snow with the sme electrical generation. The amount of water that one can pump depends on the ratio of air and water that has to be used. The colder the better.
    Color me thrilled and confused at the same time.

Can one presume that the doubling of the water flow mentioned above refers solely to Mt. Ellen? If so, is there some sort of bypass line from the Van Loon Pumphouse directly into the system (i.e. it doesn't go into the pond at the bottom)? Otherwise I don't get how you increase the total water available to the system at any given time.

If the doubling of the flow does refer to Mt. Ellen, are there any implications for LP other than a more reliable trunk line (which obviously is a good thing in and of itself)?

We're probably getting into the (proprietary) weeds here, but for some reason I find this stuff fascinating. Of course the overall result of more water for ME (and perhaps LP?) is a big win for SB fans.

From what I remember when they put the pipe in it does not go directly to the pond it goes to the building to the left of the gmvs building. It's been some time so..............