Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Petty Whining

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    Quote Originally Posted by djd66
    If you can't give "site feed back" in the site feed back area, what is this part of the forum for??? If i start talking about site feed back from the Kzone - where would you move my post then??

Look, Lostone,... I'm sure you are a nice guy,... But, I think the whole idea of having seperate "rooms" in a forum is for forums that see 100x more traffic than this forum does. I mean come on - i think the Mad River site has 10 posts in the past 3 years - I think you should just drop the Mad River room. Even the Sugarbush forum has very little traffic. To move someone's post b/c it is not specifically about Sugarbush,.. i mean really - WTFC! It would just make the experience of visiting the site easier if you just had 1 or 2 rooms - THAT's IT! All it means is extra mouse clicking trying to navigate this site. Is it just me,... or do other people chuckle when something gets posted in say the middle of August (not many posts in August) and next day it gets moved to some other forum.

I vote for 2 rooms and lets self police it,...
    definitely.
    I'm down with combining the SB and MRG rooms, though I think there is a reasonable rationale for having a separate thread for Valley goings on as well as Miscellaneous. YMMV.

Either way, bitch all you want at Lostone and I - neither of us have the ability to implement the changes. We can only make suggestions.

As for self-policing, I'd prefer moderation with a gentle touch. I participate on a lot of discussion forums, and there are always, ALWAYS a few bad apples who spoil the experience for everyone else.

"As for self-policing, I'd prefer moderation with a gentle touch. I participate on a lot of discussion forums, and there are always, ALWAYS a few bad apples who spoil the experience for everyone else."

I'm not bitching,... just giving site feed back. (just be happy I'm giving site feed back in the site feed back room) Don't take this stuff personal - as it is not meant to be personal. I really enjoy hitting this site up all winter long,... and some in the off season.

I like the idea of moderating with a "gentle touch”,.... like when Sugarbush isn't even open and one of the "regulars" posts a trip report for Sunday River - don't go and move it.

As far as self-policing - why not just give it a hands off approach for a while and see how things go. You may be surprised. Forums that get a lot of traffic need moderators, this forum barely gets any traffic,... and I promise to behave myself.

I like the idea of moderating with a "gentle touch”,.... like when Sugarbush isn't even open and one of the "regulars" posts a trip report for Sunday River - don't go and move it.
    I think the moderation is very light, here. As for moving the post, it had nothing to do with Sugarbush. It might have been posted where it would fit in the board that was in the poster's imagination, but that was not the board that he was posting in.

He chose to post it here, where we (presently and at that time) have a room for things related to Sugarbush, one for things related to Mad River Glen, one for things related to the Mad River Valley, one for site feedback and one for all other things. This is not something that is really difficult to understand. I question why it is a big thing to a very small group that I moved it, and not a big thing that he posted it in the wrong place.

As for the one room, two rooms three rooms, more, thing... Do you know it has already been discussed?

Check out the threads below this one. Of interest, might be these:

Skimrv.com message board layout
    Nov 03, 2008

This site's future...

Most of the people complaining about the layout were here when the first one listed, was posted. Not a lot of them had much to say about it.

As for going unmoderated, I would be against it. That is so were I to be a moderator or not. Like I said, I am a registered member at boards with no moderation or censorship. It started small, built to be larger, (tho far smaller than this) and then shrunk to about 20 regulars of whom, almost all posting is done by about 7.

You may behave, but others will not. It is obvious that there are people who will not act like adults. And you need no more than 2 people to get into ... childish crap.

And, as to this board being small, it is far larger than you think. Check out the number of views, as opposed to posts. Check out the numbers of the Format thread, I mentioned, above.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

well said.

I've been on the forum for several years. Those who participate in forums generally aren't shy expressing their points of view, and that can lead to snippy comments, and worse, at times. I recall the prior forum, which was derailed by too many personal attacks and other unpleasantry. I think our moderators do a very nice job preserving a civil balance. Some of our wood-chewing friends might test the limits at times, and occasionally our moderators take on an overly-chastizing tone, but even that repartee is quite polite, and the exception, not the rule. Here's to the moderators, and let's all keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Fourwide
    I've been on the forum for several years. Those who participate in forums generally aren't shy expressing their points of view, and that can lead to snippy comments, and worse, at times. I recall the prior forum, which was derailed by too many personal attacks and other unpleasantry. I think our moderators do a very nice job preserving a civil balance. Some of our wood-chewing friends might test the limits at times, and occasionally our moderators take on an overly-chastizing tone, but even that repartee is quite polite, and the exception, not the rule. Here's to the moderators, and let's all keep up the good work!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Fourwide
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    He chose to post it here, where we (presently and at that time) have a room for things related to Sugarbush, one for things related to Mad River Glen, one for things related to the Mad River Valley, one for site feedback and one for all other things. This is not something that is really difficult to understand. I question why it is a big thing to a very small group that I moved it, and not a big thing that he posted it in the wrong place.
    Lostone you are still lost... It is not hard to understand... What is difficult to understand is that of two threads with exact same content one gets moved in NY minute and the other posted by "sugarbush crew" does not. Same goes for mountain biking threads that have nothing to do with Sugarbush. Please don't BS me about "being busy doing something else", somehow you always found a few minutes at 6AM to move my stuff.

Clearly Atkinson is computer savvy enough to post in the forum he aims for. He does not like to see his stuff moved, nor does Treeskier, nor do I. Nobody wants to see their TRs in Misc forum. Is it that hard for you to understand? People went out, shot pics, did the work - leave their stuff alone. What is the urge to micro manage?

i think the Mad River site has 10 posts in the past 3 years - I think you should just drop the Mad River room.
    I count 13 in the last year, but your suggestion is noted.
    Those 3 extra threads really put it over the top... For comparison at the moment TGR board has 2224 (376 members & 1848 guests) users on-line and it has single Ski/ride forum...

Please don't BS me about "being busy doing something else", somehow you always found a few minutes at 6AM to move my stuff.
    So... are you saying that I wait by the computer, waiting for you to post something so that I can move it? Why no mention of the threads that you posted about Sugarbush in the Sugarbush room that I didn't move?

These things are judgment calls. What do you do with a post that contains two topics? I can split them off, I can move them, or I can leave them as they are. You may not agree with my judgment. I can live with that.

You posted something about Sunday River in the Sugarbush room and I moved it.
    What is the urge to micro manage?
    Just doing my job. It is the same job, being done in the same way it was when you first showed up, here. If it was so objectionable, why did you not go elsewhere? You might not like it. Talk to my boss.

Those 3 extra threads really put it over the top... For comparison at the moment TGR board has 2224 (376 members & 1848 guests) users on-line and it has single Ski/ride forum...
    Those three extra threads were in one year, and were in contrast to the quantity given of 10 threads in 3 years.

As for TGR, we're not using their format, at the present. If that one fits your style more, feel free to post your stuff there. They won't get moved and we'll all be happier.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gone.skiing
    Lostone you are still lost... It is not hard to understand... What is difficult to understand is that of two threads with exact same content one gets moved in NY minute and the other posted by "sugarbush crew" does not. Same goes for mountain biking threads that have nothing to do with Sugarbush. Please don't BS me about "being busy doing something else", somehow you always found a few minutes at 6AM to move my stuff.

Clearly Atkinson is computer savvy enough to post in the forum he aims for. He does not like to see his stuff moved, nor does Treeskier, nor do I. Nobody wants to see their TRs in Misc forum. Is it that hard for you to understand? People went out, shot pics, did the work - leave their stuff alone. What is the urge to micro manage?
    You know, it's not paranoia if they're really out to get you.

Quote Originally Posted by gone.skiing

I have to laugh. The TGR board has 20 separate forums. If you want to discuss getting together on a particular mountain - hook up or Summit forum. What about your injuries? Gimp forum. Weather? Sorry - that's the weather forum.

Might be helpful if you found a good example to support your points instead of one that simply generates irony.

??? You gotta be kidding. Since when does making a factual point carry any weight with the brilliant never make a mistake never take a suggestion never wrong Woodless and Lostmarm.

Quote Originally Posted by barkbiter
    ??? You gotta be kidding. Since when does making a factual point carry any weight with the brilliant never make a mistake never take a suggestion never wrong Woodless and Lostmarm.
    It is also a factual point that the mandate of TGR is just slightly broader than this forum. It exists to discuss skiing everywhere in the world, so it wouldn't be practical to have a different forum for each area. They split their discussion into the groupings they think make sense. We here are focused on just one small valley, so we split it up the way we think is appropriate. With the exception of a tiny, yet vocal, minority, it seems to work just fine. I'd encourage you to take your discussion elsewhere if you don't approve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    Quote Originally Posted by barkbiter
    It is also a factual point that the mandate of TGR is just slightly broader than this forum. It exists to discuss skiing everywhere in the world, so it wouldn't be practical to have a different forum for each area. They split their discussion into the groupings they think make sense. We here are focused on just one small valley, so we split it up the way we think is appropriate. With the exception of a tiny, yet vocal, minority, it seems to work just fine. I'd encourage you to take your discussion elsewhere if you don't approve.
    Another typical Woodless approach. Everyone knows there are people like you who just want ten people on the mountain skiing, and you'd also prefer just the ten people here listening to and agreeing with your bullshit. Neither Sugarbush or skimrv.com would exist without more. So why do you bother to have a site at all if you want to do is chase people away ? Why have a site at all if you just prefer yes men ? Just post your crap on a blog have no one call you on it.

If you are encouraging me to go away just cut me off. You and Lostmarm have already said you'd prefer me to go away. Just do it ! I wonder if Greg wants that. I'm sure more people are amused by my silliness than your gawd awful knowing-it-all.

Thank goodness you guys have nothing to do with skiing and the mountain ! You'd have us all skiing trails only and only on approved days and locals only allowed.
    At least Lostmarm gives us the green and blue trail report.

So were you out there skiing Sugarbush woods ? Do you ski at all ? Tell us , how did Bearclaw ski for you this year ?