Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This thread seems to have played itself out pretty well.

I was curious about one last thing though, did not enough people participate in late season skiing this year to keep the mountain open another week?
    In years past, when you went to $25 tickets did enough people show up to justify the additional labor to keep the mountain open?

Management seemed so enthusiastic about spring skiing the last few years with parties and deals to keep people enjoying themselves, and this year while
    having less of that I saw the biggest spring crowds I can remember. My only guess is that with the parking area in dissaray it made less sense to invite guests.

regardless, it's Monday and I'll cross my fingers for a wednesday dump and one more week.

Thanks for all this season, if it doesn't snow i'll be up soon to swim, hike, bike and eat outside. Hope many of you get to do the same.

FWIW my understanding is that this was not an issue of running out of snow, or skiers, but of enthusiasm on the part of management. It is hard for the resort to promote spring skiing when there is only one or two trails open for such a long period of time. Would folks ski at SB with 2 runs, 4 trails or at Sugarloaf, with 55+ trails? Therein lies the problem. Throw in some rain and staff who were said to be very tired and worn out from a tough year and you had the end. I guess the thinking was bronze was good enough for this year with regards to being last to open in Vermont. I think that Stein's had at least another week or so, especially considering the cool temps for this week. I also heard that the idea of closing midweek was not attractive because folks were going to get angry watching the snow melt midweek. There is plenty to hike for....

I will also note that in comparison to years past the last two weekends the atmosphere seemed more like a morgue than the Sugarbush I am used to. It was downright creepy to be in Valley House with no lights and nobody around. At least turn on some music or something. Valley House the week before was just a sad scene with no tables and again a feeling that the place had died.

http://www.jamiegemmiti.com/p2292551...514ff#h22514ff Hey , I hiked for one trail. But it WAS the Sherburne. ; }

Honestly, if you look at the weather on the weekends this spring it is pretty obvious why they never got the crowds. Most weekends were forecast to be rainy and cool/cold - not exactly the weather that brings out the masses. I, personally, did not bother to make the trip to ski even once this spring since the weather was typically forecast to be better in Mass than VT.

Being someone who usually skis to the bitter end of the season at whatever mountian has snow, I would add the following observations. I think the lack of people at the hill this weekend has more to do with the weather at home and the weather up north. The last coule of weeks of 70 to 80 degrees in the metro areas has put most people into Spring mode. I have tons of friends who have pulled out the bikes and started the season. Also the early warm weather has made people start the yard work and projects earlier. This coupled with the cloudy rainy/snowy weather brought down the season. The last weekends need to be sunny and warm.

FWIW the 55 trails at the Loaf means nothing to me. I would much rather ski Steins then deal with the Loaf's snobby attitude. Been there done that. Also Killington used to have skiing until June on 1 trail Superstar and hundreds of people would show up every weekend. I do not think that trail count has anything to do with it either.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    FWIW the 55 trails at the Loaf means nothing to me. I would much rather ski Steins then deal with the Loaf's snobby attitude.
    I spent a weekend up there in March and my SO had a ski house up there when she was growing up. If anything, the place is very friendly and not snobby at all. Sounds like you must have had a bad experience but that is not the norm.

Also Killington used to have skiing until June on 1 trail Superstar and hundreds of people would show up every weekend. I do not think that trail count has anything to do with it either.
    Killington was the only thing open in June, so their one trail was the only game in town. That is moot when arguing that "trail count" does not matter. As to to trail count this past weekend, that does influence people as to where to go, especially considering that Sugarloaf was $49 a day last weekend and Sugarbush was $50.

Quote Originally Posted by summitchallenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    FWIW the 55 trails at the Loaf means nothing to me. I would much rather ski Steins then deal with the Loaf's snobby attitude.
    I spent a weekend up there in March and my SO had a ski house up there when she was growing up. If anything, the place is very friendly and not snobby at all. Sounds like you must have had a bad experience but that is not the norm.

Also Killington used to have skiing until June on 1 trail Superstar and hundreds of people would show up every weekend. I do not think that trail count has anything to do with it either.
    Killington was the only thing open in June, so their one trail was the only game in town. That is moot when arguing that "trail count" does not matter. As to to trail count this past weekend, that does influence people as to where to go, especially considering that Sugarloaf was $49 a day last weekend and Sugarbush was $50.
    Summit, I used to ski Maine exclusively for about 15 years and have many, many days in at the loaf. I also have lots of friends from my home town area that ski the loaf as regulars so when I have this opinion about the loaf it is from vast experience I speak. I wouldn't ski the loaf if it was for free.... unless it was the only show in town.
    Also, price and trail count has absolutely no impact on my decision of where to ski. This is the same with all of my crew. My point was that Killington stayed packed all spring long with whatever the count. And the atmosphere there used to be electric. You and I see things different.

Hey Friends,

No one likes to ski more than I. I also am really bored this time of year when there is no skiing. But as I said in another Thread. "an old friend once told me: there is a time to come and a time to go and the time has go has come" this year. My team was unanimous last Thursday given the forecast and demand that the time had come to close. Hopefully, next year with Easter on April 24 and a better snowfall in March and April we can last into May.

Thanks to everyone for your passion!

ps: I also suspect that non-lift skiing will last a bit longer!

I agree with Summit on having good experiences at the loaf , especially when the snowfields are open. I've never had any issues with "snobby" people. But I have never skied Saddleback and would like to get there next season. Hawk and others , ever been?

My 2 Cents

If I was not hurt I would have skied all weekend. Rain or snow. Then Skied Killington on my way home Monday so I would have equipment available to ski what ever has the most snow next weekend....since my favorite home MT had closed. It did sadden me to see more snow on Monday as I left then on Friday upon my arrival. Hawk. An interesting observation. According to my friend K. and his wife L., who skied Friday and Saturday up at Jay. They want to stay into Sunday but every room around was sold out. It was there big Pond Skimming Party event weekend. Plus it was also Reggie fest at the Loaf (who by the way is the only MT not to have been greatly effected by the warmth, too far east). So even if it was Sunny this weekend. For the transient skier of NE it was not our weekend. That said in April we usually have at least one rainy one of the 4-5. Got that over with. I guess like my injury it was not my/our year. I hope next year with a late Easter we all get to ski deep snow like 2007. Into May and beyond.

The Mall has gotten wider every year. I have skiied the Mall for the last 30 years and I remember when there was one line on either side of the towers. Don't even think about snowmaking there, it makes no sense.
    north lynx 14

if a new lift goes in it will get significantly wider again but whatever happens it will always have a better aspect for spring skiing than steins.

Matt, the aspects are almost the same. But that has very little to do with spring skiing. In fact you want more sun on the run to soften the snow. Advantage Steins.
    Mall has a double fall line for the most part and Steins not so much. Advantage Steins.
    This is not out west so the depth of snow making dictates the length of season. Steins has snowmaking and the Mall.....let's not go there again. Advantage Steins.

The Mall is a classic natural snow trail and is never groomed. The result is that it get's less traffic and the majority of people that ski it are expert. In the end the bumps form in nice lines on the skiers left side and are usually soft and fun. NO one wants to screw with this except you.....and who said that installing a new lift would make the trail wider. They haven't even committed to replacing the lift yet and most agree that it would not be anything more than a triple or maybe even a replacement double.

Just let it go dude......

I'm ok with having an unpopular opinion here.

Steins has the double fall line and that's why you end up on one side of the trail, unlike the mall.
    Also, the aspect isn't the same. Steins is due north and the mall is NE and gets far less sun.

The natural snow argument makes no sense to me as every trail skis better with natural snow and it's only about how you use snowmaking anyway.
    - Whether it's truly impossible to blow down the hill effectively or not waste too much getting hung up on chairs I have no idea -

But, the Mall is a straight shot and it is possible to run pipe up it at least without destroying the character of the trail, unlike a Middle Earth or something
    like that. I understand that snowmaking will not happen and that it is lowest priority but it's naive to think a spring venue under the lift would be inferior or that
    when chairs get strung up the trail won't get wider again.