Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a webcam

Need a webcam

With all of the activity happening at the bush this summer, it would be great if there were some way to see the progress via the web. Are there any plans on having a web cam to see the construction process in action?

Very excited about the expansion plans!

Don't worry - I'll be taking pictures and posting updates here and/or on my blog at shadyjay.com.

Re: Need a webcam

Quote Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
    With all of the activity happening at the bush this summer, it would be great if there were some way to see the progress via the web. Are there any plans on having a web cam to see the construction process in action?
    perhaps its buried in the archives but why stop there? Just about every major resort has a couple of webcams and in this age of wireless everything it shouldn't be too hard nor too expensive to set up.

Quote Originally Posted by beelze
    perhaps its buried in the archives but why stop there? Just about every major resort has a couple of webcams and in this age of wireless everything it shouldn't be too hard nor too expensive to set up.
    There used to be a webcam at the base of Mount Ellen. Not sure what happened to it....

Quote Originally Posted by beelze
    That issue has been brought up so many times over the years, but I fear we are wasting our time talking about it.

It's ridiculous that there isn't a webcam. The expense is minimal, so the only reasonable explanation is that they don't want their potential customers to make a last minute decision to stay home if they see lousy conditions. Pretty weak sauce in my book. Of course, most internet savvy individuals know there is a webcam at MRG's base providing a sense of what conditions are likely to be over at SB. The village cam is a poor substitute at such a low elevation and nowhere near the slopes.

I don't like webcams. I think our website and gallery pictures and the video are a much better tool to see the conditions is more than just one static place.

Good point re. the daily video piece--very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by win
    I don't like webcams. I think our website and gallery pictures and the video are a much better tool to see the conditions is more than just one static place.
    I won't argue the webcam issue as it's been discussed at length (except to say that those of us slaving away at the office on a friday waiting to bolt and drive 5 hours to the mtn., would love to see a live shot of something other than the single chair and the warren store), but the execution on the web video leaves something to be desired. The video is choppy to the point of being unwatchable. Also, it was great that they took video of the blazer kids, so it should be available. Currently there are some short clips on youtube, but I would pay to get the raw video. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    I won't argue the webcam issue as it's been discussed at length (except to say that those of us slaving away at the office on a friday waiting to bolt and drive 5 hours to the mtn., would love to see a live shot of something other than the single chair and the warren store), but the execution on the web video leaves something to be desired. The video is choppy to the point of being unwatchable. Also, it was great that they took video of the blazer kids, so it should be available. Currently there are some short clips on youtube, but I would pay to get the raw video. Thanks.
    Agree that sometimes the snow report videos are just OK. I don't understand why Mark waited until the LAST DAY of Mount Ellen's season to go over and ask folks, "gee, why do you like Mount Ellen?" Maybe it's me, but wouldn't you do that before they closed?

One idea for a webcam would be one similar to Sugarloaf's where you can see multiple parts of the mountain.

A web cam is real time! Pictures are old they are never up the day that they are taken! The snow report videos are not real time either and they are not daily! Flatlanders like to see what is going real time! You, Win, have that luxury of being there real time and rightfully worked hard for it! But give us flatlanders some real time love! Certainly would like to see the trees bloom in the spring and turn green as much as the leaves changing in the fall and the first snow to blanket the mountain! So, it is not so much the conditions as it is the serenity from seeing the valley! Back to Mad Rivers site for my daily peace and view of the valley from the Flatlands.

I also noticed that most of the folks asked about Mount Ellen were employees as well!

Win -

While the pictures and video are fantastic, they are neither real-time nor are they unedited. You are selecting the best shots to post. You are editing down the best video segments to include. This means that it's closer to propaganda (albeit we do love the stoke) than it is to information. Even if a webcam is static, it's real, unedited, and real-time. Of course a better solution would be some sort of cam at the base(s) and one at mid-mountain. Put it on the top of the Bravo summit shack and have it looking towards Allyn's lodge and beyond to the HG area. Same for Ellen. Pics and vids will never, ever be a substitute for what people are looking for in this regard.

+1

+1
    I know some people don't like webcams but it's just silly that I have to look at mad river and the warren store just to try and see what's going on weather-wise. Even a camera above the CR pub looking at the plaza area and pool would be better than what we have now.

1) Is there a video ski report every single morning?
    2) Is the above daily video report updated during the day?
    3) Wireless webcams are cheap. Buy 10 for each mountain and have a blast.
    4) Nobody said you couldn't put photos and video on the website and have webcams.

Examples:

Breck: http://www.breckenridge.com/mountain...-web-cams.aspx
    Copper: http://www.coppercolorado.com/summer.../mountain_cams
    Alpine: http://www.skialpine.com/mountain/webcam
    BigSkyhttp://www.bigskyresort.com/Photos-Videos/webcam.asp

But heck, those mountains clearly don't know what their customers want or need like Sugarbush does.

you can add me to the list of people who would like real time video.

I like what Hunter does, you can see the base, mid, and summit.

no need for the images to be boring either, find a scenic shot, a bumpline, show off the bar, construction. real time is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlucas
    you can add me to the list of people who would like real time video.

I like what Hunter does, you can see the base, mid, and summit.

no need for the images to be boring either, find a scenic shot, a bumpline, show off the bar, construction. real time is awesome.

I forget which mountain has it but there is a webcam that lets web users control it for 30 second intervals. Pretty cool. Oh by the way I'm pro webcam, video, and pictures. Cams are super cheap and take 10 minutes to configure