Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gone.skiing
    I pm'ed the number to those who asked.

007, we know they were in reality good looking guys... Don't worry your secrets are safe with us.
    You are kidding. There are no secret stashes anymore. To many big mouths.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Shhh, wait-wait, did you hear that............, was it the whimpering of a jealous guy....?
    I heard rumor you were seen runnin' with the pretty boy last Saturday.

007, we know they were in reality good looking guys... Don't worry your secrets are safe with us.

BTW, the girls are circulating risque' photos from that afternoon escapade with me; they're on their way to you now.....

Quote Originally Posted by 007
    Shhh, wait-wait, did you hear that............, was it the whimpering of a jealous guy....?
    I heard rumor you were seen runnin' with the pretty boy last Saturday.

So, if ALL that gets you through the top part, MM4B... what gets you through the bottom part?? Perhaps a little lady by the name of Fran Drescher??

Can't believe no one mentioned a small pocket folding saw. If you are hitting quasi-backcountry woods (such as slidebrook) in deep powder, it can save a lot of time (and damaged equipment) getting a ski un-snarled if you get hooked on buried branches.

Quote Originally Posted by scharny
    Can't believe no one mentioned a small pocket folding saw.
    Good idea. I'm going to stick one in my pack. My chain saw is really hard to ski with.

Ah...but they were....

I pm'ed the number to those who asked.

....dressed as girls. 007 must not have had his bifocals on...

I have

one of these in my pack, and the small version each of my boys carry.

http://www.amazon.com/AMK-Thermo-Lit.../dp/B000YOH37A

Fits in the pocket, weighs about as much as a chapstick.

All joking aside, 007's two friends suggestion is critical, as is each person in the party having some knowledge of procedures, terrain, and basic backcountry "savvy".

This may seem weird, but I also have this as part of my on piste, and bc/sidecountry kit:

http://www.celoxmedical.com/prods_celox.htm

There have been some very interesting and nasty cuts (arteries) in ski accidents...think about it - super sharp edges...4 of them, adding up to about 15 feet of running length...flying around during a fall/ejection. Some bleed outs right on piste. In the backcountry...ya never know...weighs about as much as a bite of powerbar. There was a skiing magazine tidbit on this about 12 or 15 years ago...sort of gave me the shivers (obviously), and I never forgot it.

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn

The shivers????

Smootharc wrote"...sort of gave me the shivers (obviously)"

For the love of God, Smootharc, you've skied in Chamonix! Nothing should give you the shivers.

Well, except a personal ski video review by the VT North Pro's...

Slidebrook basic requirements:
    2 friends at least, who you trust to help you out if things go bad!
    Water
    Snacks
    Peanut butter to use as bear repellent (When friend 1 goes for help, you smear the Pb on friend 2 so the bear thinks he tastes better)
    Whistle or horn or something to loudly signal for help
    cell phone, charged and known to get signal!
    emergency med kit and bivvy sack.

and for more safety and enjoyment:
    John Atkinson clone or the real thing if possible.
    6 pack of beer while waiting for the bus, no imbibing and skiing in the woods please.

Back country is one thing but are we not talking slide brook here! I mean lions and tigers and bears oh my! In my opinion, if you stay to the normal traverse and enter through door 1, 2,3, There is more traffic in there than on 89 at 10 pm. So, not of a real concern here what I bring or who I bring.
    But I did not see Duct Tape on the list. I wrap the top of my pole with it. Identifies my poles for those thiefs and It can be used for many things. Turnicot (sp) for puncture or large cut, support a home made cast or such, and will burn to get a fire going. I also carry one of those wind proof lighters!
    Doing my Snowdance!

Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Brew Ski
    6 pack of beer while waiting for the bus, no imbibing and skiing in the woods please.
    You Bush Pilots might need to bring beer into slide brook. For me, knowing the woods means knowing where the keg is. Everyone knows the stashes but how many people can ski right to the keg? And no, it isn't under the bridge, that's where the munchies are stored.

Ha...

For the love of God, Smootharc, you've skied in Chamonix! Nothing should give you the shivers.

...what happens in BP stays in BP, Mister Brew "Where is My Ski?" Ski.

P.S. And for the record, I kinda LIKE being taken behind the woodshed during video review !

P.P.S. And I never actually skied in Chamonix. Just hung out in the village wearing my stretch pants and ski boots LOOKING cool. Duh. Skiing Chamonix is scary, and I had forgotten to pack my Depends (something else you need in Slidebrook) !

Re: The shivers????

Smootharc wrote"...sort of gave me the shivers (obviously)"

Peanut butter to use as bear repellent (When friend 1 goes for help, you smear the Pb on friend 2 so the bear thinks he tastes better)

and for more safety and enjoyment:
    John Atkinson clone or the real thing if possible.

Chunky or creamy?

BTW, were the clones in for repair this weekend. NO sign of the Man with the Golden helmet......

Well, anyone who...

Quote Originally Posted by vonski
    Back country is one thing but are we not talking slide brook here! I mean lions and tigers and bears oh my! In my opinion, if you stay to the normal traverse and enter through door 1, 2,3, There is more traffic in there than on 89 at 10 pm. So, not of a real concern here what I bring or who I bring.
    ...saw that dazed dad...lost...looking for his son...lost...two winters ago might beg to differ that despite Slidebrook's proximity to civilization...it is still a very large slice of wilderness where getting hurt and/or lost is a distinct possibility. Lady luck prevented a potentially nasty outcome there, and there have been other close calls. The obvious unpreparedness of many who enter Slidebrook gets me to shake my head. Is mommy, daddy, and 11 year old Johnny a group of three ? Let's say mommy bumps her head badly on a tree. Does daddy stay and send Johnny out for help ? Or does daddy leave Johnny with mommy and head out for help ? We could go on and on with "disaster scenarios", but I for one like John Atkinson's very cautious and prepared approach, and see the same from my son's Mountaineering Adventure Blazer group where preparedness, skill development and respect for the backcountry/sidecountry wilderness environment is being instilled in kids otherwise likely to worry more about video games and Pop Tarts.

Perhaps I overplan and overthink and am over cautious, but it is easy to stray from the "herd paths" in SB...and group dynamics sometimes lull people into complacency, and...well...we're all human beings...and, well, S&%t happens.

89 at 10pm flows smoothly, right up until that black ice over the next hill crest. I'm just sayin'...

Re: Ha...

Quote Originally Posted by smootharc

...what happens in BP stays in BP, Mister Brew "Where is My Ski?" Ski.

P.S. And for the record, I kinda LIKE being taken behind the woodshed during video review !

P.P.S. And I never actually skied in Chamonix. Just hung out in the village wearing my stretch pants and ski boots LOOKING cool. Duh. Skiing Chamonix is scary, and I had forgotten to pack my Depends (something else you need in Slidebrook) !
    I heard tail about a separation between man and ski. Two tenths reduction on the scoring aye. Twist is always funny with the double fall line. All the more reason to ski harder next weekend. Rip it up Brew.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!