Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Slack-country safety

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbooter
    My best slide brook slack-country safety tip: LOOK OUT!

Some of those Road 2 water bars are in the shade. (Faces were planted.)

I did my friends a favor. It's a lot easier to see a small shady water bar if someone is lying in a heap just past it. That goes for stumps and horizontal logs too. Those are easy to find if you see a friend face down on the trail.
    It's true, I was much more aware of the size of the waterbar after watching you eat it. Thanks!

To each their own. Know your abilities and ski within them. For some SB is slack country. To others maybe not. Some feel comfortable solo-ing and others don't. Apparently some of you forgot something else you keep stashed deep in your pack. A big ole bottle of self righteousness.

Bottom line is take risk if you are comfortable with it, but at the end of the day live with your actions. If you feel comfortable taking enough emergency equipment into Sleeper Woods that it requires a sherpa built like Bull from Night Court then enjoy. If you want to go in with nothing but a big Sack O'nutz and nothing else then do so. What we don't know about the original poster is their ski ability and comfort level. If it's lower then maybe having a few items mentioned would make you feel comfortable until you run it a few more times and realize it's a wooded glade between two major ski resorts as in bounds as the free throw line. (I know. I know. Lambast me all you want. It's not technically in-bounds, but I saw a groomer going up it last week. Hell they blew more snow in there then all of the Heaven's Gate pod)

What you are currently carrying is fine and I don't think an inconvenience or too little. Sounds about right to me. Have fun, but watch out for the guy carrying a Barca-lounger down on his shoulders. He'd hate to run into a situation where he couldn't sit down.

Actually met the man...

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush
    a sherpa built like Bull from Night Court then enjoy.
    ...in LA about 8 years ago. Self-effacing, very funny, very laid back and an overall interesting and cool dude. Where is Bull today ?!?!

And good thoughts on the whole "personal responsibility" angle. Obvious in one sense, but unfortunately needs to be brought up in today's "not my fault" America. But that slippery-slope heads off topic pretty fast...

Re: Actually met the man...

Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    Quote Originally Posted by MntMan4Bush
    a sherpa built like Bull from Night Court then enjoy.
    ...in LA about 8 years ago. Self-effacing, very funny, very laid back and an overall interesting and cool dude. Where is Bull today ?!?!
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0596959/

Since I tend not to go into Slidebrook via the tourist route;

Backpack
    Cell Phone
    GPS
    2-way radio
    First aid kit (weekend) enough to help others that may need help
    whistle
    water
    power bar or PB&J
    Leatherman
    Skins
    Ducktape
    TP for kids if required
    HeadLamp
    space blanket
    Sam Splint
    Voile straps
    Face mask or Hat
    Shovel

From the tourist side I would leave out the Skins and Shovel. The rest of the stuff is easy to carry in a small pack that works well to rest on if required.
    If you can not see it....do not ski it.