Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Are the snow guns going?

Are the snow guns going?

Can't tell now, but I'm happy to report they were running most of the day.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

They were running on Jester all day (and still going at 4:00). As I understand it, water main break on access road shut them down yesterday.

Forecast is good until wednesday. then not so good till thursday night.

Snow Forecast

I used this site religously in colorado for a few years and they were somewhat accurate for storm predictions and snow totals. I'm new to sugarbush (just moved in actually) and am wondering if anyone has compared their predictions to past storms here. Any suggestions of sites for mrv? I have yet to find a majorly reliable source for winter weather info. Thanks

www.snowforecast.com

J

CD- I can't vouch for that site, but check out these:

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/ Josh blogs specifically for MRG weather, but in most cases it is applicable to Sugarbush. He seems to be pretty accurate.

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/weather/ This is a new site, although the weather guys have been forecasting on the TGR site focusing on the East Coast. They really seem to know their stuff and give very localized snowfall predictions- they nailed the storm this last weekend.

Also, Roger Hill has a good sense of weather in the MRV- he posts updates in the MRG weather section.

Quote Originally Posted by skierdon
    CD- I can't vouch for that site, but check out these:

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/ Josh blogs specifically for MRG weather, but in most cases it is applicable to Sugarbush. He seems to be pretty accurate.

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/weather/ This is a new site, although the weather guys have been forecasting on the TGR site focusing on the East Coast. They really seem to know their stuff and give very localized snowfall predictions- they nailed the storm this last weekend.

Also, Roger Hill has a good sense of weather in the MRV- he posts updates in the MRG weather section.
    +1 on Josh Fox's Single chair weather blog. It's as local as it gets.

Yesterday we did a little hike to survey the conditions. We had some time constraints so we didn't bring the skis with us however we wish we did. The route was up Village Run across to the top of Gate house, across Castlerock connector to the base of castle rock and then back. At the bottom of VR there was a trace of snow to start the hike. At the top VR and across to Gatehouse there was a solid 4 to 6" base that gat a little freeze thaw and was pretty solid in places. When we got to the bottom of North Lynx there were signs of someone skinning and a couple of tracks on Birch. The 4-6 also had some softer snow on top. We proceeded to head across Castlerock connector and noticed that a nice skin track had formed. We also noticed someone on lift line. When we got to the bottom of Middle Earth the snow had changed to a softer fluffier consistency and was about 7: deep. A single skier came down and said that the top was a little windblown and the conditions were variable. But just down from there the snow was beautiful on Castlerock Run and Cotillion. He said 6" hard base with 6+" on top of that but it was hard to tell exactly how much because the wind blew it around.

The guns were on all day on Sunday on Jester and they started on Downspout but shut down on the lower mountain late morning.The access road was closed on Saturday for the repair of the snowmaking main. I did not see the damage first hand but heard that the pipe blew and spewed rocks and dirt all over the road.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

We had two breaks Friday night. Our crew did a fantastic job of fixing both by the end of the day and making the Access Road passable. Snowmaking resumed Friday night and we got some good depth down on Jester and top of Downspout. It warmed up last night and we had to shutdown, but as of noon today, it is snowing up top and flurrying at the base the guns will be back on shortly at both mountains. Snowmaking looks really good until Wednesday when we warm up it looks like for a day. We are shooting for Friday at LP, but we will have to wait and see what Wednesday brings.

Rim Run running!

Natural snow coming down too. Mer, Dave, Paul and John say hi!

John

Looks great! Can you please hold a very big umbrella over it for Wed/Thus, so we can be skiing on Sat...

Note the fan gun blasting away.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    Note the fan gun blasting away.
    Yup. That's a lot of snow coming out of it. Perfect spot for it too. I like the sophisticated new tools that mtn ops guy is using on it.

Good eye Tin. That's one of Sugarbush's new organic localvore low-e high-impact power-assisted solar-wind automatic-manual slam-hams. Besides top-secret military applications, we're the only ones in the country to deploy these machines.

John