Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Start the Snow Guns?

Hi Win, based on the opening day plans, when do you hope to get the snow guns going?

If you can not see it....do not ski it.

I think they have said all along that they will start on November 1st or 2nd.

http://www.sugarbush.com/snow-trails...ountain-update

Also look at the presentation that Win did at the Community Day.

....and it looks like the cold temps are coming in right on cue.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I went for a hike yesterday. I wore shorts, a t shirt and a very light shell. I was comfortable at the base. When I got up to Allyn's lodge, I was a little surprised to see that there was ice over the puddles, and some was all the way down, on them.

Won't be long.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Win, if appropriate can someone post the plan of which trails will be covered first, prior to opening; weather contingent of course?

007, let me take a guess for the hell of it.
    From the top:
    Jester
    Organgrinder
    Deathspout
    Lower Jester
    Gondolier
    Once they have that they ususally do:
    Domino Chute
    Middle Jester
    Lower organgrinder
    Then.....
    Valley house traverse
    Snowball
    Spring fling

Where have you been dude....It's what they usually do.
    Now that I have said this they will do something different.

We are ready to go any time after Novermber 1st at Lincoln Peak. Snowmaking orientation and training is this week. Hopefully the temperaturs will allow us to start next week. We will start down Jester and then Downspout and then Organgrinder. As you know there can be quite a variance in temperatures at different elevations. The plan would be to have Jester to Allyn's, Downspout to Heaven's Gate and Organgrinder at least by opening day and we will try to make it to the bottom if we can. Otherwise we can download from Bravo. After that we will see whether we go down Birdland and Lower Organgrinder or move over to Snowball and Spring Fling. As we get into December we move the focus to the Gate House Pod.

We'll keep you posted as we begin.

Win, please do not start making snow early just to watch it melt away like Sunday River and Killington want to do.

For all of my bitching, I'll take the devil I know and don't want to see Sugarbush cave to public pressure, just to waste 15K on late october snow.
    Thanks in advance for sticking to your guns.

Don't worry! We are not in the water recylcing business. We are ready to go the first of November if it makes sense, and we would like to open 11/21 if we can! The last three years we were open close to 160 days each year and that is a good goal to shoot for!

Wonder how much those other resorts waste on making snow just so they can say they were open in October over the years, then have to close and the owners watching as the money melts away... but I doubt their owners are actually watching that in person.

Granted, it seems tempting espec this Oct when we had snow even in CT but with unpredictable October weather where it can be 30 one day and 70 the next... it just doesn't make economical sense. I'd rather see the mtn open and stay open for the long haul, which is what has been/is the game plan here.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlucas
    Win, please do not start making snow early just to watch it melt away like Sunday River and Killington want to do.

For all of my bitching, I'll take the devil I know and don't want to see Sugarbush cave to public pressure, just to waste 15K on late october snow.
    This comes up every year and it always strikes me funny. No disrespect Matt but I skied SR two weeks ago top to bottom and it was simply excellent. They were open last weekend top to bottom in spite of the rain and are talking about opening this weekend also. Even though they may be taking a beating on the costs they look at it as a bennefit for their loyal customers and yes, great marketing. I guess if you were/are not part of an early skiing culture then you don't understand it.

I say this every year. It was skiing and I was out there doing it and not wishing I was doing it.
    ....and I am not the only one. There were several Bushies I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    No disrespect Matt but I skied SR two weeks ago top to bottom and it was simply excellent.
    Amen. Whether it is worth it to the mountain only SR can decide that, but I would not beg them stay closed. It was good to be sliding in the middle of October.

This comes up every year and it always strikes me funny. No disrespect Matt but I skied SR two weeks ago top to bottom and it was simply excellent. They were open last weekend top to bottom in spite of the rain and are talking about opening this weekend also. Even though they may be taking a beating on the costs they look at it as a bennefit for their loyal customers and yes, great marketing. I guess if you were/are not part of an early skiing culture then you don't understand it.

I say this every year. It was skiing and I was out there doing it and not wishing I was doing it.
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I just don't have fun sliding down 1 wide boring trail all day. I'd rather be out biking, running or doing just about anything else. Until the woods have some base or there are some fun bump runs, I'm downright bored at the mountain and wouldn't even consider buying a day pass. Having said that, I plan on skiing my first weekend on Thanksgiving weekend even though there probably won't be much open.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I just don't have fun sliding down 1 wide boring trail all day. I'd rather be out biking, running or doing just about anything else. Until the woods have some base or there are some fun bump runs, I'm downright bored at the mountain and wouldn't even consider buying a day pass. Having said that, I plan on skiing my first weekend on Thanksgiving weekend even though there probably won't be much open.
    To each his own Skibum. But just so you know, it may have been one trail but is wasn't flat and boring. We skied bumps all day and I met up with all my old friends. After we beat out legs to a pulp the festivities went to the parking lot for a cookout. Then some of the group went out for a ride and others hiked to do trail "Maintanence". It's what you make of it. The only reason I bring it up every year is that I would love to do the same at the Bush. But I realize that it just is not in the overall mindset or plan at SB.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321

To each his own Skibum. But just so you know, it may have been one trail but is wasn't flat and boring. We skied bumps all day and I met up with all my old friends. After we beat out legs to a pulp the festivities went to the parking lot for a cookout. Then some of the group went out for a ride and others hiked to do trail "Maintanence". It's what you make of it. The only reason I bring it up every year is that I would love to do the same at the Bush. But I realize that it just is not in the overall mindset or plan at SB.
    Yeah, I'm definitely not knocking you guys for skiing early. Just not really my cup of tea.