Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ski school ?

The programs have evolved in many ways since my children started 10 years ago, generally for the better. That said, there has definately been an increased focus on woods safety, which has made it more difficult for the coaches to ski the woods as they did in the past. This is true for the adult programs as well. I would suggest Bill M. or the new head of seasonal programs make sure every participant and parent understands what they can and cannot ski priot to season beginning to prevent further dissappointments.

I have nothing to do with the Blazer program, but I like the idea of requiring two coaches for woods operations.

The general rules in the woods is ski with at least 2 others. That way, should someting happen one can stay with the injured, while the other goes for help.

In the case of one of the programs, if it was one of the kids, which does the coach do? You need one coach to do each.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    Quote Originally Posted by gone.skiing
    Will Adventure Blazers groups be allowed to ski Church, Bear Claw or is it mapped woods only?
    WTF is this supposed to mean? Would you care to elaborate?

Whatever new requirements are, the bottom line is less "adventure"... It appears that regulations are introduced without subsequent support to maintain the level of the program as multiple parents pointed out above. Anyone with kids in the programs would have seen the difference between 07/08 and 08/09 seasons. I am just hoping that my younger child in a few years can experience the ALC Egan style, not PSIA/Deer Valley/Stratton flavor.

Win, I would definitely like to take you up on the offer to catch up in person. Perhaps a conversation on a chair once the place opens up...

PS: I am not trying to debate two coaches for the woods part of this thread...

Will Adventure Blazers groups be allowed to ski Church, Bear Claw or is it mapped woods only?

Whatever new requirements are, the bottom line is less "adventure"... It appears that regulations are introduced without subsequent support to maintain the level of the program as multiple parents pointed out above. Anyone with kids in the programs would have seen the difference between 07/08 and 08/09 seasons. I am just hoping that my younger child in a few years can experience the ALC Egan style, not PSIA/Deer Valley/Stratton flavor.

Win, I would definitely like to take you up on the offer to catch up in person. Perhaps a conversation on a chair once the place opens up...

It should be pretty clear that it's the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil brigade chiming in with the usual contribution.

gone skiing call me anytime.

I really do not think they is going to be any less adventure! Egan and Atkinson are very much involved in all our year around adventure programs, and I think we have the best anywhere! Programs are at another record level.

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn

remain calm...all is well

A few comments on the previous parts of this thread:

At community day, Win was pretty clear about everyone (day skiers, programs) getting access to the new wooded trails. If you want to explore the "hidden" trails or those that are new but not put on the map, Get involved with a seasonal program or hire one of the many excellent coaches for a session (Egan, VT North coaches, Atkinson, etc).

More to the point about skiing off piste, Win also spoke a few minutes about the new facets of the Bush Pilots program which entails "off site and off Piste" outings. This is a new value added feature of the program and makes it one of a kind in the East, if not the whole country. Exploring the woods at Jay Peak, Skinning up and skiing Tuckerman's, hitting the outback between Smuggs and Stowe are examples of off site challenges/fun. The details are still being worked out but Win and Sugarbush are positive about this type of skiing and there are still a few more spots available.

PSIA based coaching is a great way to learn to ski well, turn on most any snow surface and can prepare you for racing. One might say a tried and true method. However, it doesn't teach you how to ski off piste, be aware of outback dangers, and ski techniques for jumps, hucks, and tree skiing. This type of skiing is of favor for many people, especially on this board. When asked directly after his speech, Win confirmed his support for the Bush Pilots program and the advanced techniques they will be pursuing. Hopefully he will join them for an adventure. It is a really great group of skiers and they have a lot of fun.

The added glades, the "adventure" in the seasonal programs, cat skiing, and now off site visits, I believe, sets Sugarbush well apart from other mountains in the country. Sugarbush is becoming the home base for ski adventures of all types. We just need a heli-adventure to pick us up at Lincoln peak and drop us on top of Tucks. Then Sugarbush will be the best in all North America bar none!

Safety rules state one coach to lead through off piste woods/trails, and one to sweep to ensure no one gets lost. 1 coach for every 7 skiers of any age. Safety first and last.

Let it snow!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman

It should be pretty clear that it's the see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil brigade chiming in with the usual contribution.
    Tin...nice try to incite but your not even close. It was merely a humorous response to the mention of certain terrain at the Bush on a public forum. Remembering your heated debates on EpicSki a few years ago about this issue I'm surprised you missed that.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman

Tin...nice try to incite but your not even close. It was merely ahumorous response to the mention of certain terrain at the Bush on a public forum. Remembering your heated debates on EpicSki a few years ago about this issue I'm surprised you missed that.
    My bad - and yes I did miss that. Whoooosh! Sorry.

No need to return to the days of A/T skier.

Please, not the secret stashes debate again... I wonder if they get bent out of shape at Jay when someone mentions Big Jay or Dip.

I like to ski both on and off piste even with my child, but I do not believe none adventure groups should be taken on non-official trails. If we get in trouble for talking about them here and even with two instructors kids should not be taken in to off resort areas. I wont go into the name of the trial but please tell me how an instructor is going to ensure a child does not fall off a 10-20 foot clif? will they throw themself in front of the child like a parent would.

I ski these areas, but I do not feel that my 10 year old is ready. I think if if fine for the instructors to take the kids into the marked woods. But I do not expect an instructor to take a child into these areas without the parents permission, which I do not remember seeing any reference to the unmentionable areas on the permission forms.

I would have thought that this is the reason that SB has different programs and only the adventure programs would go into these areas and the other groups would remain on offical areas that we are only allowed to talk about.
    If you can not see it....do not ski it.

I have two kids in blazers ages 9 & 13. I have obviously spent a good bit of time skiing with my son and his friends in the woods. I also must admit, I often ski alone in places where I know I should not be going by myself. But I'm an adult and am responsible for my own safety. If anything happens to me, it's my problem. That being said , requiring two supervisors, whether they be instructors, patrol or whomever, taking the kids in the woods, is the responsible thing to do. When I'm skiing with my son, who knows SB like the back of his hand, I try never to let him out of my sight. and when we are with other kids, I would never go off trail with more than 1 additional kid. There must be a leader and a follower to make sure all the kids are together and everyone is OK. In fact, if I was a blazer coach, I would refuse to take my group into the woods without another adult. The bottom line is, any adult who takes kids off trail is responsible for their safety. That is without question the overriding priority, even on powder days. It is simply impossible for 1 coach to keep track of 6-8 kids in the woods.

You gals should pack up your skirts and go to Stratton. Sugarbush is all about adventure skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by barkbiter
    You gals should pack up your skirts and go to Stratton. Sugarbush is all about adventure skiing.
    adventure this.

and F stratton. Every friday night I have another hour and a half to go when I pass manchester on 7. those Stratton people always slow things down before exit 4 so I loathe them.

I'll "adventure" with the best of them, even you BB, and I'll do it with my own son also. But when you are responsible for other people's children, you cannot have a cavalier attitude about safety, lest something goes wrong.

That is funny. I thought MRG was all about adventure. I guess SB will be selling the groomers soon as why do you need them and we can go allnatural. I think you are missing the point....I take my child in these areas, and if I signed her up for an adventure program (if they had a one day program like I keep suggesting (MRG has a one day program for girls and boys) she would be signed up as I have a trust in the instructors and I take the responcibility when I sign up since I know what is expected. But reallity is here and not all instructors are at the same level in skill and maturity for all groups.

Again I think it is great that the groups ski the woods as part of the program. The issues is when the parent does not know that thier child is being taken "OUT OF BOUNDS" and off the property. Also how many of you have seen kids alone in the woods without an adult to hear "well I ski here with my instructure so I thought it was okay.

And as a note it is called a "kilt".
    If you can not see it....do not ski it.

Quote Originally Posted by win
    gone skiing call me anytime.

I really do not think they is going to be any less adventure! Egan and Atkinson are very much involved in all our year around adventure programs, and I think we have the best anywhere! Programs are at another record level.
    Oh well, I thought with the BP's off site and the adventure programs reined in I might have the woods to myself for a change. Drats!!!

The stress level is way up this year with lots of unconfirmed rumors. People lets get the story confirmed before the lynch mob is assembled.

Now back to your regularly scheduled ski stoke........
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!