Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ski school ?

Ski school ?

What's up with a telemark skier running the alpine ski school ?
    Isn't that like hiring a golf instructor to teach tennis ?
    I also hear rumors of keeping the Blazer programs out of the woods and away from Castletock, is it true ?
    These PSIA guys just love to ski on the groomed runs only.
    Isn't Sugarbush known for the best off trail woods skiing in the east?
    Why can't we just ski it ?

Atkinson where are you ? Help !

I don't know where you are getting all your misinformation? Your questions suggest that someone is feeding you totally incorrect information!

Ski school

Quick reply, Win. Anyone with questions can PM Win, or contact him offline. I've found him open and responsive to loyal customer concerns.

Re: Ski school ?

Quote Originally Posted by barkbiter
    What's up with a telemark skier running the alpine ski school ?
    Isn't that like hiring a golf instructor to teach tennis ?
    I also hear rumors of keeping the Blazer programs out of the woods and away from Castletock, is it true ?
    These PSIA guys just love to ski on the groomed runs only.
    Isn't Sugarbush known for the best off trail woods skiing in the east?
    Why can't we just ski it ?

Atkinson where are you ? Help !
    seems like you've already been corrected so I should leave well enough alone, but what you said makes no sense. How could they be staying out of the woods when they have adventure and mountaineering blazers which they charge a premium for?

I heard it from my good friend Jacques le Guide who says he heard it from some feller named Mcsquinty

I always considered Telemarking to be Alpine skiing in just a different method. It certainly is not Nordic. My son used to ski one day on fixed heal and the other on free heal when he was in Blazers. But due to expenses he now is only fixed heal. Just can't afford both types for his quiver of skis. Also not sure that comparing Telemark to Alpine is the same as tennis to golf. And why would the mountain open up so many more woods runs if they were going to keep the future of the mountain out of those woods? Like Win said this has got to be bad information.

From Wikipedia. So it must be right:

Nordic skiing is a winter sport that encompasses all types of skiing where the heel of the boot cannot be fixed to the ski. This includes a wide range of ski equipment and techniques such as classic and skate cross country skiing, ski jumping, biathlon, and telemark skiing. It also involves racing.

McQuinty sounds like the captain in Jaws. Bill McGinty is the Director of our ski and ride school. We obviously have guidelines for our adventure and mountain blazers programs since we are responsbile for the safety of the children in the programs. This is not new. If anyone wants to contact me directly, my email is wsmith@sugarbush.com and my phone is 802-583-6832. We didn't create more wooded trail this year to keep people only on groomed trails.

Will Adventure Blazers groups be allowed to ski Church, Bear Claw or is it mapped woods only?

Quote Originally Posted by gone.skiing
    Will Adventure Blazers groups be allowed to ski Church, Bear Claw or is it mapped woods only?
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

They have for quite a while, no?
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    They have for quite a while, no?
    My sons normal Blazers groups used to ski all the unmarked woods on the upper mountain. I would not know the names with out him telling me what they are!!!! For the sake of the program lets hope that continues.

Which "program" is that? The Blazers program, or the one where you get to know the "trail" names?
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Two seasons ago ('07/'08) both my daughters (in different Blazers groups) skied all the woods all the time, including Church, Wedding, Slidebrook, etc. They had a ball (as most of the kids seem to). Last season ('08/'09) they informed my wife and I that the rules had been changed and that in order to ski the "off map" woods, they had to combine with at least one other Blazers group plus an extra coach (I think I've got that right, my aging brain loses things quickly these days). Regardless, they did far less woods skiing than the year before and were disappointed. The rules for going in to Slidebrook were tightened further, and I believe my older one, who's group did Slidebrook a lot two years ago, never went in once last season.

I absolutely appreciate the need for safety and to avoid reckless behavior, especially on skis and with trees, yet I'm torn because I want my kids to get in there to learn skiing woods properly, to appreciate the beauty of the trees and to have fun. I don't know what the balance is, but I am hoping (conditions permitting) that this season they can get back in there again, at least more than last year!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksun
    Two seasons ago ('07/'0 both my daughters (in different Blazers groups) skied all the woods all the time, including Church, Wedding, Slidebrook, etc. They had a ball (as most of the kids seem to). Last season ('08/'09) they informed my wife and I that the rules had been changed and that in order to ski the "off map" woods, they had to combine with at least one other Blazers group plus an extra coach (I think I've got that right, my aging brain loses things quickly these days). Regardless, they did far less woods skiing than the year before and were disappointed. The rules for going in to Slidebrook were tightened further, and I believe my older one, who's group did Slidebrook a lot two years ago, never went in once last season.

I absolutely appreciate the need for safety and to avoid reckless behavior, especially on skis and with trees, yet I'm torn because I want my kids to get in there to learn skiing woods properly, to appreciate the beauty of the trees and to have fun. I don't know what the balance is, but I am hoping (conditions permitting) that this season they can get back in there again, at least more than last year!
    my experiences were from 06/07 and 07/08. I do remember two coaches at least for all wood runs at that time as well. So who knows. But the program definitely stands above from the rest if they continue the tree skiing.