Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miguels

Miguels

Anyone know whats up with Miguels? They have a chalkboard out that says open Fri & Sat through foliage, but they were closed last Sat at 7:00 PM and there are realtor signs posted around the place.

I don't know much but, the building is for sale. Miguel's is, I've heard, 1 year thru a 2 year lease.

Not to jump to conclusions...

Would be very unfortunate loss, if this is as it seems
    No mountain too steep
    No powder too deep

(well, not exactly)

I've heard from several people that the open sign has been out but nobody home. Mutha Stuffers is going strong, they recently got a permit to allow beer drinking onsite.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Re: Miguels

Quote Originally Posted by teleo
    Anyone know whats up with Miguels? They have a chalkboard out that says open Fri & Sat through foliage, but they were closed last Sat at 7:00 PM and there are realtor signs posted around the place.

pfft. par for the course for that dude.

It's a shame, this town needs good Mexican food.

oh yeah..... Mutha Stuffers is THE best sandwich in this town.

We tried Miguels a couple of times, based on memories of his place at Stowe. Both times food and service were abysmal, embarassing. First time was soon after it opened, so we attributed it to newness. Second time we were willing to give it another chance, but was just as bad. Never understood how an experienced restaurant operator could screw up so badly. We will never go back, assuming it does reopen, and could never possibly recommend it to anyone looking for Tex/Mex. Too bad, I agree the valley could use a good restaurant of that genre.

Some of those who have posted in this thread seem more positive about the place. Did I just hit two seriously off nights? Have any of you had really good experiences there?

Does anyone remember the Mexican restaurant that was in that large chalet buidling (current empty, I think) that's more or less across the Access Rd. from the Bridges entrance?

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn

When the getting is good...

I was there at opening night with a limited menu. The food was exceptional and brought me back many times this past winter.
    Mrs. Brewski thinks highly of their food. I find it very good quality, good portions and a good value. We've been there several times as a quiet night for two and a couple nights in large groups. The service is usually attentive.

We even visited at the end of the season on a night when most of the staff called in. So we sat at the bar and indulged in patience. Again, the drinks came quick and the food was great, although a little slow in coming.

I will admit that the tables in the front by the pool table tend to not get "noticed" as much as the bar seats or the tables in the back by the fireplace. The exception is if you sit at one of Julia's tables where anywhere you sit, you get the best service on the mountain.

So, I guess I would suggest sitting at the back or the bar, or ask to sit at Julia's tables (if she is working).

Maybe this season the owner will get a more stable reliable staff. It would be a shame to lose such good food.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksun
    Does anyone remember the Mexican restaurant that was in that large chalet buidling (current empty, I think) that's more or less across the Access Rd. from the Bridges entrance?
    That was the original Miguel's, and it was always good. Since they left it seems like there's been some sort of hex on good Mexican in the valley.
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

1) The place off the access road was run by the same guy.

B) If Julia is the Julia who is also a ski instructor, you haven't been there for a while. If so, she's the one with the smile that is bigger than her whole face. She's my neighbor. She's had a very interesting job, house-sitting on an Island on Lake Champlain all summer.

III) I had heard that Miguel's had a 5 year lease with an option to buy, so I was surprised when the realtor signs went up.

d) I have heard mostly positive about their food, but have heard a couple negative reviews, including one that was from a big fan of Micheal's food.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

The food in the new miguels' was as bad as the old one, only 35% more $. If anyone thinks it was good they must eat "old elpaso" at home and think it is Mexican. We went 3 times and the service and food were so lacking would never go back. About as Mexican as the lousy new "Italian" place on the access road.We drive to Sarduccis" when We need an Italian fix. I have to say good riddance to bad Mexican.Some friends of ours in Stowe were shocked when we told them miguels had resurfaced in the valley after leaving Stowe.
    When the economy recovers we hope some new options appear.

Megellis Mex-Tex Place

The Neck don't eats out that much but havin never been to mexico and not nowin what tex-mex is, I likes the place!

they get my votes and it's better than bear meat.....................Red Neck Mutha

went there twice with the kids last season. I don't recall the service being bad or the food for that matter, we just thought it was OK, but kind of pricey for what we were looking for. Give me mexican with brown paper on the tables, chips/beans, burritos/fajitas and of course, beer/Petron. That's all I want. Not an entree for $20. Is that too much to ask?

Wow, I didn't know this was the try-out for the Phantom Gormet. Billy Costa would be proud.

I'm with Brew on this one. We alway had Julia Byrne and she did an excellent job. Our meals alway came right out and were right on. I will agree that it is not authentic hand made mexican but I guess if you are jonesin for some mexican then it will surfice....and yes a little pricey but isn't most things at a ski resort?

No, I'm not ready to throw them under the bus. There simply isn't enough options in the valley as it stands and that one is walking distance to margarita's.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I had no intention of turning this into a restaurant review forum! Thanks to those who wrote about their good experiences at Miguel's. Maybe we truly had bad luck (even though both times our tables were near the fireplace), so assuming it magically reopens, I'll now be willing to give it another shot. I'm not looking for spectacular best in class Mexican food, just decent, with reasonably timely service (not hour plus waiting after ordering, which I experienced previously). 'Twould be nice if prices were more reasonable, but hey, after all, this is a ski resort.