Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miguels

For the record, we do have a place on the board for restaurant reviews in the valley. Seems a bunch of them showed up here, but please feel free to share your opinions of any place in the valley that you've tried.

You know the scene. What opinions are like and how everyone has one? Still, if people only say things are good, or only bad, you might take that into consideration.

Saw the comment above about the Terra Rossa, and how he'd rather go to Sarducci's. Word is the chef used to be the chef at... Sarducci's. But the big thing is that place is only not packed when it is closed, so there must be opposing opinions.

When the topic started drifting, to their quality, I thought of directing people to the other thread and closing this one. But the purpose of the original start was to get info as to whether it was done. That was different than quality opinions, but the rest is legitimate topic drift.

But by all means, if you eat somewhere, help out your fellow ski... ride... uh eaters. Let people know what you think in the restaurant reviews thread.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

having a good server can make or break a meal... Julia sounds like she saved the show for a handful of people.

on the other hand 9.50 for guac is pretentious at best.... even in Vail.

I thought $16 for a burrito was nuts and we never went back.

Here is my review of Miguel's:

I went there on Friday night at just past 10pm, which is obviously in the dead zone as far as the MRV is concerned but I heard they were cooking until 12am and didn't feel
    like driving to every place in town to see if there was another option.

I had two meals last year, both poor showings and wasn't eager about going back but heard here they were under new management.

So the late night menu was in effect, and they didn't quite have everything which meant we could order from the following:

Chicken Wings ($10?)
    Jalapeno Poppers ($8.50)
    Super Nachos ($10?)
    Tacos - beef, chicken, pork, vegetarian ($3/ea)

Chips and salsa were served warm, very tasty.
    House Mararita's were decent for $5 plenty o' booze, nicely salted, enjoyable.

Tacos took about 25mins to come out. Tortillas weren't warm, and had little piles of not quite warm stuffing on top of each. If I wasn't starved, they probably would have been sent back for some extra microwave time. Honestly, even warm it was very close to a school lunch style meal.

Staff was very pleasant despite bizarre request we sit at the bar in almost empty restaurant.
    Also, about five minutes after we sat down, about 15-20 very young dudes came in to drink beers... Very happy to sit away from them but also really glad they had bustling bar business.

I'm not sure how anyone could expect repeat business even with how convenient it is to SB Village units. It was kind of a D- for effort on the part of every plate, and the menu is nothing if not lacking. However, I'm sure I'll try it again once next year after I hear about how the ownership is different purely out of laziness.

Oh yeah, and like always sour cream is an extra $1.25. Stay classy, Miguel's.

As a side note, why a restaurant anywhere in the Valley wouldn't stay open late on a friday night to take advantage of people from NYC and Boston that might not leave till 7, hit traffic, arrive hungry etc is beyond me. Even the Hyde Away shuts down the kitchen at 10pm even with a full house of drinkers. Is it that hard to keep the oil hot and a grill on? Feel free to move my rant anywhere an intrepid business owner might catch it and take a chance.

I go there almost every Fiday night. I never have had a problem but then again I am a regular. I thought that this year the service was much improved, the meals were more affordable and the food was excellent. The menu is not huge but they do have specials. I hope they succeed because we love Mexican.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

My 2 cents:

I'm a fan. The staff is friendly, the food is fine and reasonably priced, good beer selection, good margaritas, and they stay open late on Friday nights after the long drive. Reasonably, what more could you ask for in a ski bar/restaurant. There does not seem to be enough people to justify most restaurants serving late on Fridays, so I am at least happy that Miguel's supports this.

..my 2 cents...

Table of four, two Fridays ago, sometime after 8 p.m. (restaurant not crowded--maybe not half full). Service was prompt and friendly. Menu is fine, and the drinks and food came out quickly (I'd estimate 20-25 mins. for the entree). The fish taco is quite good (although I'm not sure why the fish is breaded?), and the tex-mex fare just fine. It is a bit pricy for what's offered. Service is much more prompt than during '08-'09, and menu appears simpler. I would definitely return.

i'm glad you guys liked the food enough to jump to their defense, it's just not for me.

Fortunately, I just figured out through this conversation that Mutha Stuffa's is also open till midnight on Fridays... so next time after a sandwich I can pop over to Miguels for some drinks. so it's a win/win/win when I can figure out how to get a tank of gas....

good weekend all in all, hope you guys got yours.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlucas
    i'm glad you guys liked the food enough to jump to their defense, it's just not for me.

Fortunately, I just figured out through this conversation that Mutha Stuffa's is also open till midnight on Fridays... so next time after a sandwich I can pop over to Miguels for some drinks. so it's a win/win/win when I can figure out how to get a tank of gas....

Deano is a good dude. We call in our order from the lift and then ski down and have lunch. It's a nice quiet place. Another thing that we have done is call in your order for cold cuts on the way up Friday night and pick them up when you get there. They carry all Boar's Head products and it's not out of line with the pricing. I guess I like all the businesses in the village.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by mattlucas

Deano has also got a beer license.. my man serves beer and the best sandwiches around late night...

As far as Miguels's being under "new management," Michael is still the one driving the bus, don't let the fancy sign fool ya. The same guy that sunk the church street location and the stowe location (that was open since '77) is the same wizard behind the curtain here.

Just heard today that Miguel's in the village is NO MORE. Also heard Egan's is gone.

Miguel's is gone, at least for the season. Beyond that... we'll see.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay
    Just heard today that Miguel's in the village is NO MORE. Also heard Egan's is gone.
    I noticed that a couple weeks ago regarding Egans. What happened? I had heard a lot of complaints that quality and service had slipped big time this winter, but it still seemed to draw a crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Xskier
    Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay
    I noticed that a couple weeks ago regarding Egans. What happened? I had heard a lot of complaints that quality and service had slipped big time this winter, but it still seemed to draw a crowd.
    I didn't notice any drop off in the traffic at Egan's. Nor did I have any problem with the food or service this winter, but they did have a new chef and the menu was not as good/exciting as it had been before.

Egan's phone says they are on spring break and Facebook update says " Thanks for your support this season! We will be closed for the Spring! See you all soon!"