Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn

Expanded woods and new glades?

I just recieved my weekly Sugarbush e-mail. In it is says..."Crews are busy working in the woods expanding our gladed terrain as well as adding new wooded areas to the tune of 70 new acres."

Can anyone elaborate on this?
    Specifically which woods are expanding (does "adding new wooded areas" mean planting trees?)?

Where are these magical 70 acrea of pristine new glades?

If there is a prize for "First to discover", I'm up for the challenge. Kinda like the Chinese downhill from the movie Hot Dog. First chair of the season, everyone jockey's for position in line. First person to grab the trophy hidden in the new glades wins. (Maybe we win free lincoln limo rides?)

Re: Expanded woods and new glades?

Quote Originally Posted by Brew Ski
    I just recieved my weekly Sugarbush e-mail. In it is says..."Crews are busy working in the woods expanding our gladed terrain as well as adding new wooded areas to the tune of 70 new acres."

Specifically which woods are expanding (does "adding new wooded areas" mean planting trees?)?

If there is a prize for "First to discover", I'm up for the challenge. Kinda like the Chinese downhill from the movie Hot Dog. First chair of the season, everyone jockey's for position in line. First person to grab the trophy hidden in the new glades wins. (Maybe we win free lincoln limo rides?)
    Forget it Brew your already to late.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Re: Expanded woods and new glades?

Quote Originally Posted by Brew Ski

somehow I don't think I'll be heading for any glades off the first chair of the season

Yeah... I was wondering about that. Don't often head into the woods for the first week, or so. Or maybe the plan is to have that much snow to start?
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Okay; where is the new 40 acres of glades?

Quote Originally Posted by John Walden
    Okay; where is the new 40 acres of glades?
    70!

I asked Win about it back in June, and he said he'd let us know as soon as he could.
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

We'll let you know next June.

I'm wondering where he's been hiding this 40 acre stash. His garage must be huge.

A mountain beaver whispered into my ear............

Looks like 11 new areas with a total of 13 new bands across both MTs.

Unfortunately some already have a history. But the others should be a great addition.

What will be interesting is to see if they put them on the map or just leave them to be discovered or shown by ski school guide/lessons. (that is what Mad River is doing now) I feel a much better solution.

I hear work starts Monday.

Tree, as usual you are very positive and supportive. I got a sinking feeling when I heard what was in store. I will leave my comments to myself as everybody knows how I feel about opening up (dumbing down) the woods.

When we get final Forest Service and Act 250 approval I will let all know the details and the whereabouts. You have all been skiing these I am sure but they will be maintained by us and marked like the other 11 existing wooded areas and shown on the map. There will be more at both LP and ME.

I guess the search for the unknown will get more adventerous this year. If the new areas although old will be marked it will take all the guessing out of it. It certainly may make the adage of just go off any trail true!!! I guess some venturing into area above Inverness may only be the unmarked areas left. Also trips off the back side may be in store for true fresh tracks. Lets hope the shuttle does not run to the parking lot on the backside!! But then again, this should only go to help to get skier visits up and that is the ultimate goal in order to keep up the improvements on the hill. So, with progress comes concessions and improvements. Lets just hope the woods have plenty of dumpage this year to keep us all smiling!!

Quote Originally Posted by win
    When we get final Forest Service and Act 250 approval I will let all know the details and the whereabouts. You have all been skiing these I am sure but they will be maintained by us and marked like the other 11 existing wooded areas and shown on the map. There will be more at both LP and ME.
    ......Doah.

Win, what is the upside of adding so many bands so fast in a single year? Is SB the new Lollapalooza?

It seems like it would be tough to cut new lines to the standard that intermediates expect something like Eden or Gatehouse woods to ski.
    I can't complain if my stashes get eaten because it technically isn't my mountain (or any of ours, no matter what we think), but I can't figure out what the marketing benefit is at X +15 instead of X +5. Hope you guys did your homework, and that some of these are just more beginner type areas like Walt's, because I think the thrill of discovery of a new unmarked glade on your own is worth ten times even the cost of losing a private stash.

Time will definitely tell, this is a bold move.

Quote Originally Posted by win
    Wasn't it just a few years ago that the woods were not part of the trail count and it was open boundary to boundary? I haven't looked at a trail map recently. Are they still marked on it? I guess I will troll on over to the website and check it out. ; }