Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    That was a good find! Thanx.

Couple of these I have... known friends who know friends, who ski. One, I found last year, but too late, as there wasn't enough snow for safe exploration.

Missed some of my main ones, tho there are many who... haven't missed them.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Re: Cat's out of the bag

Quote Originally Posted by othripper
    There was a warning for the act 250 permit in this weeks paper. If you go to this link:

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/site/cfm/...l.cfm?ID=24811

and scroll to the bottom, you can download a pdf file of the proposed glades. Looks like the mountain has picked some great terrain to open, but more importantly, my favorite lines aren't there!

Let's hope there is enough snow this winter to really ski the woods, unlike last year.

Mike
    nice find Mike. It looks to me like there is nothing new there. I can say I have skiied through all those areas except maybe the racers line below snowball. I just hope that the lines off exterminator get cut by a skier not a snow boarder, cause Ex. woods are just a bump run now in the woods. Way to wide open. just my two cents. I personally prefer to take a branch across the face once in a while to get the POW. Bushwacking!!!!

Thoughts and exploring...........

So many are discussing the "loss" of old stashes due to the new "thinning" efforts, adding those areas to the trail map and a reduction in fresh untracked lines. What surprises me most is that there is so much terrain that a bit of looking around, combined with some homework in the off season, can find and even more when you pop on a pair of skins. Fresh snow and the feeling it provides is actually so much better when a "bit" of "work" goes into it, yet so few seem to want to put in much more effort than getting a close parking spot and jumping on the lift. I love lift served skiing and it provides a bunch of runs and a lot of fun. But once, within reason a lift goes in, the snow quality in terms of adequate fresh and uncrowded lines is reduced. Unless of course there is only one lift, but then the lines can get long depending on how big the hill is. That is simply a fact of the lift and the "business" that is a ski resort.

When I want more pristine, less traveled lines I simply dig deeper or pop on some touring gear and do some great exploring. That exploring can be in the form of tracking a storm and going to where it hits. Be that a ski area or some other shot. Last year in March there was a southern tracking storm that missed most areas, but not MA's Mt Greylock. I live a few solid hours from Greylock, but found myself there on a Tuesday morning to nail a great set of untracked lines with about an hour skin. Not too much work. A trip my friends and I did to BC last year had pretty low snow at the ski areas (Revy & KH), so we ditched the lift served plan, skied every day in Rogers Pass and every run was nice powder with some great new areas found. Again, a bit of effort provided nice soft untracked lines and a huge feeling of stoke at the end of the day. Did we ski less than we had hoped. Absolutely. Did we miss some signature KH hike to lines that we wanted to hit and I have posted here. Sure, but the snow rocked and the trip was great.

So as we look to 09-10 season, let's not so much berate the mountain for "opening up areas" that were not listed before, but use it as an opportunity to further explore the mountains endless stashes and maybe decide to venture away from the lift a bit more. The feeling you'll get when you pop out to some incredible natural stash will be well worth that extra effort. When it is all said and done, the bush provides super terrain for all and really more than enough woods lines for those willing to work just a bit more for it. And if you just have to have your favorite stash on a powder day....................well nothing beats a dawn patrol.....................

So who's been doing there homework as we move towards fall..............

Nice find!

Maybe of even more interest to the community here is the Vegetation Management Plan from last year also included in the permit documents.

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/Imaging/P...th_Figures.pdf

Page 47 of the PDF (Figure 3 of the report) is what's most catching my attention. Can you say Future Mountain Explansion (sic)?

(The rest of the Figures are related and also interesting).
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    Nice find!

Maybe of even more interest to the community here is the Vegetation Management Plan from last year also included in the permit documents.

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/Imaging/P...th_Figures.pdf

Page 47 of the PDF (Figure 3 of the report) is what's most catching my attention. Can you say Future Mountain Explansion (sic)?

(The rest of the Figures are related and also interesting).
    Not really anything "new" on that map that has not been proposed before. Its a virtual carbon copy of an early ASC [remember Les] map. It was printed in the VR on September 26, 1996.

Now that takes all the guess work out of it Strat.

Lots of interesting stuff on those maps like the multiple new lines in Slidebrook and the new lift right down past my place.

Maybe this developement thing is not so bad after all.

and.......I agree with AHM's post and do a fair amount of discovery myself. I have only one observation. I don't have the ability or finances to ski all those mid week days and all across the world like AHM so I think his perception is very much different than mine. No wonder he gets so much untracked.......
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I live in a tent to cut my costs and taxes........

The key to all that untracked is my cheap living expenses. I just live out of my tent. It's a bit chilly in the winter, but once you know where the switch is you can always turn the heater on in the CR shelter and get the freshies before they ever fire up the lift.

From the pdf, I think all should rest at ease. The "new" lines have been there before and most of you all ski them already. Yes they get a bit more bumped up, but really bumped woods are a lot of fun and provide some nice air shots. Although some feel exterm woods is too open, I caught a super run in there during last year's Dec storms that was just super. Caught the entire area untracked as people dove for Bravo and it was just so nice and deep. Plus as they open em up, you can ski em fast.

I also liked the new lines in slidebrook that were posted on the pdf and even the addition of the faux cliff on roller coaster. Just like going to a rock gym. And before the snow flies, I'll redo the fixed rope on the upper part of Mt Abe for those who liked it last year. Lots of fun using some of those lines.

As Hawk says, do some fall homework and you'll be amazed what you find. Just keep the tape in your pocket....................

Re: Cat's out of the bag

Quote Originally Posted by vonski
    Quote Originally Posted by othripper
    There was a warning for the act 250 permit in this weeks paper. If you go to this link:

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/site/cfm/...l.cfm?ID=24811

and scroll to the bottom, you can download a pdf file of the proposed glades. Looks like the mountain has picked some great terrain to open, but more importantly, my favorite lines aren't there!

Let's hope there is enough snow this winter to really ski the woods, unlike last year.

Mike
    nice find Mike. It looks to me like there is nothing new there. I can say I have skiied through all those areas except maybe the racers line below snowball.
    A few real nice lines there, but all are pretty well known. Not a huge "loss".

The big news is what Strat found. They certainly don't shrink from thinking big. Wow.

Work has commenced. We have been focusing on removing mainly dead stuff, striped maple, hobblebush and a few select hardwoods to leave uneven aged stands, plenty of windbreaks and thicker "islands" to better sustain these tree lines in a healthly forest. I've been out helping with brush removal, really it is more like brush placement as we fill holes, pad rocks and smooth the surface.

Winter never ends at Sugarbush!

John

So I take it that the Act 250 permit was granted then?

In the woods, searchin for the perfect airplane turn

Winter thoughts of cleaned up glades...

"Winter never ends at Sugarbush! "
    - JA.

Your quote made my week. I just received my SKI mag buyers guide and have read it twice. Lamenting the hot weather, I'm ready for some turns.

Thank you for the effort in the woods clean up and the pix, John.

Those glades will ski better with the knee grabbers and binding biters removed. I guess it also means we can get in there earlier with a little less snow pack than last year with the snow snakes removed or covered in holes.

Dare I dream about early season Glade skiing????

Think snow!

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson

Work has commenced. We have been focusing on removing mainly dead stuff, striped maple, hobblebush and a few select hardwoods to leave uneven aged stands, plenty of windbreaks and thicker "islands" to better sustain these tree lines in a healthly forest. I've been out helping with brush removal, really it is more like brush placement as we fill holes, pad rocks and smooth the surface.

Winter never ends at Sugarbush!

John
    Looks very much like the shot(s) between Twist and Mall with those Birches. What was the name of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    removing mainly dead stuff
    Looks very much like the shot(s) between Twist and Mall
    Needed some snow snakes removed from there. Thanks John & crew.
    But can you forget to put the trail signs up and not redo the maps

Yes, 250 was received!

Quote Originally Posted by win
    Yes, 250 was received!
    Nice!