Seeking First Time Mtn Bike Advice

Never been, but my 8 yr old daughter are planning to take a lesson this weekend. So I'm interested in any thoughts, advice, last words anyone is willing to offer such as duration of lesson, type of lesson, do we need all the battle gear etc.

TIA

YS
    Alpine Hack

Slickers, as the lessons are rain or shine.

ps. You do know mudboots are mandatory?

Re: Seeking First Time Mtn Bike Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale
    Never been, but my 8 yr old daughter are planning to take a lesson this weekend. So I'm interested in any thoughts, advice, last words anyone is willing to offer such as duration of lesson, type of lesson, do we need all the battle gear etc.

TIA

YS
    Alpine Hack
    Good luck. Are you both bikers looking to try mtn biking?
    Definitely do the battle gear, if for your peace of mind if 'nothing else. Last year I did a day of adventure camp and there was a guy who was riding in jeans and t-shirt. No gloves or other gear. It didn't take too long for him to fall and scrape up his hands and his day was over.

They rent most of the gear for adults, not sure about the kids . For the kid gear this is what I had: full face helmet ($20 walmart edition), full fingered gloves and footwear that covers ankles, a set of skateboard pads (elbow and knees) which seemed sufficient. Don't forget eye wear, sunglasses or goggles. Dirt is flying everywhere on the trails so goggles would not be an overkill. If she has a camelback, it won't hurt to throw that on. She will need water anyway and a bit of padding on the back.

Is she riding her own bike or renting? Disc brakes work much better than rims. I heard they have kids bikes for rent with disc brakes, might be worth the expense.

A two hour lesson would probably be a good start. If she likes it, you can keep riding with her for the rest of the day. Full day might be a lot of riding for first day. If she is fairly aggressive, check out the single track around domino (18?), seemed to be my son's favorite.

Booked

Booked it.

Howie- We're not bikers per se. However, we are skiers and therfore gravity enthusiasts. Just looking for a quick fix to help make it to winter, but who knows what will become of us after this weekend. I've actually tried to resist mtn biking as we are already quite rich in recreational activities though not rich. But when you've been blessed, as I have, with mediocre athletic prowess, it's tough to pass on the next challenge.

As for the advice: Thank you all. It's a huge help when your jumping in blind. FWI the Adveture Gear Shop does have all the pads etc. for kids too.

Thanks,

YS
    Jack of All, Master of None + 1 more . . . . . maybe

I took my son two years ago at that time he was 9. The hill is intimidating on a bike. Much steeper than when on skis. I got my son full gear. I got elbow and bike pads and used his lacrosse chest and shoulder pad as his body armor. I think he used his ski helmet for the moutain.

I was the one almost dead though. Watch the water bars. They come up quick on the traverse trails and can send u flying. I hit a double series and went tumbling over the handle bars. My gear worked on the first roll then it was out of place and the gravel rash was nice on my back and thigh. The worst was I jammed the water bar so hard that i blew out the tendons in my thumbs from the jam on the handle bar. I also punctured my Giro ski helmet and probably would not be typing right now with out that on my head.

So, be wise and don't go for that super adrenaline rush. You can ask Atkinson about my tumble he should remember it. He came up behind me with my son who was getting a lesson at the time. Needless to say that was the end of my day. I spent two months in thumb braces that i got at the pharmacy, but was ready for the ski poles by the season start.

Good luck and enjoy.

We have great kids rental gear, including full face helmets and pads. The kids rental bikes all have disc brakes too.

As for the lessons, they make a tremendous difference in your first (and subsequent) experience, and I'm not just saying that to get more business. We go through several progressions before heading up the hill and focus on safe fun riding throughout the clinics.

The cross-over between skiing and biking is huge and we use the commonalities to help quickly build skills and confidence. Get ready for some fun, Chris!

John

just to add to John's comments. A lesson is a really good thing! I would not want to just try going down hill on a bike. Knowledge is needed to do so!!! Like looking ahead and not at your front tire!!!

Good to be alive!

We had a lot of fun with our first mtn bike experience and learned a lot too. It requires a lot more technique and is more physically demanding than I imagined. Luckily Mr. Atkinson took us under his wing and got us started right.

Overview:

1.) The bikes are pretty freakin cool. 2.) Lesson very necessary for safety and to pick up fundamental skill set to enjoy what the bike can do. 3.) It was more difficult for my kid than I thought it would be, but she enjoyed it is already asking when we can go again. Bottom Line: Coming down, even as a beginner, I was able to open it up a little bit get a bit of a rush going.

Thanks again John