Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rt 100B to close in July

Before you all take off, if you are planning on visiting- --I mean WHEN you are visiting the Valley this summer, please know Rt 100B from I-89 exit 9 will be closed in July. Many of you take other routes, but for those who take exit 9, I suggest taking that exit, but heading west on Rt 2 for about 4 miles, then left onto Rt 100 south through Duxbury. It will add 2.5 miles to your trip. I did the route and was surprized that it only added 3 minutes.

Tentative closing is July, after 7/4- I am confirming the start date and will update you. Bridge repair and road resurfacing will run on a 24 hour schedule, so hopefully won't last too long.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

I's been awhile since I went this way.....assume the bridge on Rt 2 about a mile west of Exit 9 is completed or will be completed by July? thanks
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Which bridge is President Obama fixing for us?

The Rt 2 bridge is likely to still be one lane with a light, as it is now. AOT has told me that the 100B closure is set for sometime between 7/20 and 8/16.

edit: I just learned the the closure will happen sometime in that 30 days depending on the contractor. The completion date is set for no later than September 4. Sounds like about a 2 week closure.

thank ya ma'am
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    The Rt 2 bridge is likely to still be one lane with a light, as it is now. AOT has told me that the 100B closure is set for sometime between 7/20 and 8/16.
    I believe the Rt 2 bridge isn't scheduled to be replaced until 2010, so expect the light for a while. I do remember reading that there may be a realignment in Rt 2 when they do replace the bridge.

Of course you can always stay on I-89 to Exit 10 (which is the preferred route to the Valley from those heading SB on I-89).

As they say... 6 one way - half dozen the other

Exit 10 is Waterbury. Might be good for those heading south, but also involves the 25 mile limit and the light.

Better to get off early, if you are coming from the South. Good time to check out the other suggested shortcuts. I suggest going the 107 - 100N route, and say hi to Howie's moose in the gulf.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Seeing as it sounds like you have an in, noski, do you know how far back they're going to be closing 100B? Is it going to be local traffic only all the way from the bridge by River Road/Middlesex store? I thought I had seen talk that they were going to keep 100B open all the way to the bridge being resurfaced and send all traffic over Moretown Common Road...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

You can take Moretown Mtn Rd from Moretown Village if you want to get to the Middlesex side of 100B. They indeed do NOT want people to think that Moretown Common is the detour of choice. That was misreported in the local paper as the reporter misunderstood what she was seeing in the plans. AOT prefers people use Duxbury route that I described earlier. Does that clear it up for (all of) you?

That was the original plan, but I think the amount of static over the increased traffic made them decide to to run the detour up Rt 2.

I think the only thing actually closed will be the bridge. Not like they can tell people that live there they have to walk?

Wow! That's timing!

Ah, that's definitely a relief. Moretown Common was going to have serious trouble handling all that traffic.

Which bridge is going to be closed?

Quote Originally Posted by summitchallenger
    Which bridge is going to be closed?
    The bridge over the Mad River just next to the intersection of Moretown Common Road and Route 100B.
    Hereabouts: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=17&iwloc=A

That's going to be interesting for all the Roadies from the MRV. What's the best paved option in that direction to Route 2 or is there one? Lot's of people go that way to head to Montpellier. It's a great ride.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!