Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Define "best".

You'll probably have to make the left onto 100N, and double back, in Waterbury.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

OK, so it is the bridge on 100b that is near the dam. That bridge is in bad shape.....

For the best paved option read the OP, roads have a funny way of working in both directions. I suspect most going to Mt Peculiar from the valley will take Moretown Gap Rd.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Not me, SRO. I will gladly add the 3 minutes and take the paved road through Duxbury then east on Rt 2 to grab Exit 9 south.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

Quote Originally Posted by noski
    Not me, SRO. I will gladly add the 3 minutes and take the paved road through Duxbury then east on Rt 2 to grab Exit 9 south.
    Diferent strokes for diferent folks I guess as I can't believe driving up to Waterbury then right on Rt 2 is only an extra 3 min than up 100B, plus you get to drive thru 3 covered bridges as an extra bonus using Moretown Gap. By the time you get to Waterbury I'm in Northfield Falls with a short cruise up Rt 12 to Montpelier. Maybe Lostone can do a test, he's good with numbers.
    Sugarbusher since 1970

SRO I am talking about being on a road bike and not a car. If I understand the way you are suggesting that would be a huge climb on a dirt road. Is there any other paved options without talking Rt 100 to Waterbury? Just curious.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    SRO I am talking about being on a road bike and not a car. If I understand the way you are suggesting that would be a huge climb on a dirt road. Is there any other paved options without talking Rt 100 to Waterbury? Just curious.
    Oops...didn't catch that in your post....to me a "roadie" is someone who travels with bands from venue to venue and does the loading and unloading. For paved, noski's route is pretty much the only way to Montpelier via Rt 2. Keep in mind that Rt 100 thru Duxbury ain't exactly flat.
    Sugarbusher since 1970

In terms of Vermont road biking my observations have been that nothing is that flat. I had a friend call the Brook Road to East Warren road to Waitsfield loop the "friendly" loop with not that much climbing. Yikes.

Anyway thanks for the info.

Before I owned a place here, I came up a few times to visit friends, during the summer. First time I brought my bike, I had Friday off, and they didn't. so I decided to drive up during the day and do a few rides, on the way.

When I got to their house, I said that I wanted to talk to them about... FLAT.

The wife said to me that they had a lot of things in Vermont, but they had nothing called FLAT.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Closure Update

The bridge in question will be closed July 20 to August 16, according to the flashing signs at each end....

Bridge Reminder

Bridge on Rt 100B is now closed....don't forget.

Thanks noski.