Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

skinning Mt Ellen

Now that lifts have closed, what is the policy (if any) on skinning or hiking up Mt Ellen?

Worth the effort next week midweek? I.e., decent skiing to be had?

We'll be riding the lifts at Lincoln Peak for a couple of days but it could be a fun adventure to skin up Mt Ellen one day.

Thanks. Pls PM if you'd rather not post.

I got it.......
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

If you have to ask your not going to like the answer.

the policy is that it is not allowed and in my experience you will be told that if you run into an employee. i'm sure the snow on the upper mtn. is great.

Mad river glen is very friendly to skinners.
    I'm from Vermont and I ski where I want.

Take the snowcat tour.

just curious on this one. I thought that there was no skinning due to the fact that there are groomers and snow making equipment hazards in the early season. So, why would there be a problem with doing it now? The only groomer out would be the Lincoln Limo and is anyone renting that for spring conditions. I could see doing that if there were a two foot dump, but not for normal spring conditions. But what the @#$# do I know!

Thanks everyone. We're about $1,800 short of the $1,800 cat skiing fee at this point in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Tracks
    Mad river glen is very friendly to skinners.
    Friendly is good -- I've just been fixated on Mt Ellen though reading about their bump skiing this year but we could just keep going to Mecca.

I would be very careful

Skinning Mt Ellen can be very dangerous. Afterall, the ski area is closed and there are no ski patrollers out there to help you out if you get hurt. The clinic is closed and the glen haus (I like that spelling better) is not serving any food, so you could get lost and be hungry and have no one to help you out. Plus, there might be unmarked obstacles like water bars and grassy spots and this could hurt you. Not too mention there will be no other skiers out there (yeah!) and so in all that terrible corn and soft bumps you will be alone. Make sure you take a cell phone if you go and reco locator as well, maybe a medic alert would be beneficial too and a head lamp in case you get lost But if you go have fun..................I just might see you out there.

Re: I would be very careful

Quote Originally Posted by ahm
    ...............I just might see you out there.
    But that would be DANGEROUS!

Thank you for warning me, I will stay strapped in my desk chair until the terrible slippery white stuff melts away. Can't they plow it or salt it down already for safety's sake?

#1 - The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club.

#2 - The second rule of Fight Club is, you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.

Quote Originally Posted by ts01
    Thanks everyone. We're about $1,800 short of the $1,800 cat skiing fee at this point in the season.
    Hikers Beware: The Lincoln Limo was transported over to ME today.

Limo Service

Ok, obvious (maybe dumb) question, but does that mean that cat skiing will be available at ME until the snow is gone?

The Lincoln Limo will be in use on Friday, so I and some others will be there to supervise this excursion. So far it is not booked any other day.

Our forest service permit and our liability insurance requires us to have certain policies and one is not to condone skiing or riding without supervision when trails are officially closed. If we see someone, we have to say something.

Hey muddy_hollow it is a good time to get those Dule broken in....
    If you can not see it....do not ski it.