Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better be here!

Better be here!

This was Castlerock Liftline today, March 13th, 2009. No snowmaking, east facing, totally covered, even better than last weekend.

The woods are still goods.

Coach Rick called it "hero crust." Tomorrow will be corn!

Dynastar nori roll.

It's going to be really incredible this weekend!

John

Re: Better be Where?

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson

Coach Rick called it "hero crust." Tomorrow will be corn!
    OK John, That's a west facing slope. WHERE were you?....Giveaway: picture of driving back to Here...
    I may be done for the season, but that doesn't mean I'm not paying attention.

The car could be unloading there. Regardless, the skiing and riding are amazing right now. Heal well and I hope to see you out on the bike trails in a couple of months!

John

....and I hope to see you out on the bike trails in a couple of months!
    You will, I'll just be slower than my normal slow....

P.S. the west facing clue came from the shadow angle in the skiing pics.....

I thought you said the car. Sorry.

Friday.

Today.

Adventure Blazer-Race Division on course.

Lunch at Lincoln Peak.

This has been quite a stretch of days.

John

Backside

Off the backside and over to Jerusalum?

I've not taken that trip before, but legend has it if you go off the wrong side going into Exterminator woods you can ski to the Jerusalem general store. But don't ask to use the phone

Re: Backside

Quote Originally Posted by muddy_hollow

I've not taken that trip before, but legend has it if you go off the wrong side going into Exterminator woods you can ski to the Jerusalem general store. But don't ask to use the phone
    Legends and reality rarely coincide. Legends are what we wish to believe. Reality is what we learn from experience or that of others. You can live your illusions if you choose, but you would live to regret taking the route of legend. I seriously discourage freelancing off the backside. BTW, there are many other potential/possible explanations for the shadow effect on JA's pix. Make no assumptions without confirmation, IMHO. Wandering around in the woods can be fatal or at least expensive. There were 2 boarders lost off the backside of Killington a few years ago who were charged big $ for their rescue, and they were lucky,--- they got rescued.

I love spring skiing. However this is nuts. I need some freshie fresh!

I remember skiing one St. Patricks Day wearing a trash bag because it was pouring Things could be worse. Just jonseing for some Fresh! RANT. RANT. B!tch and complain. I am done now......GEORGE IS GETTING ANGRY!!!!

Now off to burn some of my old boards and do a snow dance!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Quote Originally Posted by notorious

Legends and reality rarely coincide. Legends are what we wish to believe. Reality is what we learn from experience or that of others. You can live your illusions if you choose, but you would live to regret taking the route of legend. I seriously discourage freelancing off the backside. BTW, there are many other potential/possible explanations for the shadow effect on JA's pix. Make no assumptions without confirmation, IMHO. Wandering around in the woods can be fatal or at least expensive. There were 2 boarders lost off the backside of Killington a few years ago who were charged big $ for their rescue, and they were lucky,--- they got rescued.
    true but the picture of Diggity and the "Dynastar Nori Roll" on the car is very interesting.

Nice photos John, thanks. Any current ones of MT Ellen from this week?

Coach Bob blazing an adventure at Mount Ellen.

One more teaser before this week's Stoke Exchange.

From this spot, you can see the highest peaks in three states, plus four of the top five highest peaks in Vermont.

Can you name all the peaks?

John

One more teaser before this week's Stoke Exchange.

From this spot, you can see the highest peaks in three states, plus four of the top five highest peaks in Vermont.

Can you name all the peaks?

John
    I'll give it a shot. Well, your looking at the High Peaks of the Daks and Mt Marcy with the Champlain Valley below. By your question your shooting from LP since Mellon is one of the the top 5 in Vermont. The others from LP are Mt Abraham to the south, Camels Hump and Mt Mansfield to the north. Mt Washington is the one in NH.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious

true but the picture of Diggity and the "Dynastar Nori Roll" on the car is very interesting.
    JA is really proud of the "Dynastar Nori Roll" title. I think Diggety called it the "Dynastar Roll-Up". The location should not be presumed to be on the backside. On excellent authority,I can guarantee that the location was not Jerusalem. Nor was the route anything like the "Legend".There are many skiable inside the MRV locations that are not shuttle bus served, but personally, I don't identify them on-line. Others may disagree.

We all live with the consequences of our acts. I believe that encouraging wandering without knowing the readiness of the information recipient is wrong on many levels.

If you have ever been caught in the deep woods unprepared, which I have, you would understand that terrain knowledge, equipment, teamwork, and preparedness are essential to survival. Example: Once I was in some frequently skiied woods well within the boundaries of the Bush with three other accomplished, knowlegeable Bush regulars. Two of us, myself included, decided to go deeper. Then my partner and I got separated---out of earshot. When I emerged to the main trail, no sign of my buddy, who skis better and faster than I. I wait, I yell. The first two to split off show up. We wait. We yell. I use my high decibel police whistle. No reaction. We go down to the gatehouse lodge for lunch figuring my partner is already there. After all, he's better and faster. He must be at the base. Wrong. He shows up 45 minutes later covered in snow. He got caught upside down in the crook of a tree hanging over a brook ravine. Not a good place to be. Not easy to escape without help.

IMHO, we have all become complacent about our woods skiing because so much of the Bush terrain is benign---"woods lite". That is decidedly not the case outside the outer boundary lines, and lots of areas in bounds. You can easily get caught in rough terrain. If it is stormy the situation gets ugly fast. If you have no food, water or insufficient equipment, it gets serious fast. If you are wet with sweat and precipitation you don't want to spend the night there---it gets chilly.

My opinion is that this board is too public for the dissemination of info regarding potentially dangerous locations. Email discussions between people who know each others skills, fine; PMs between people who think they recognize sufficient knowledge base in each other from prior board participation, maybe/maybe not: but location info broadcast to people who may have no business heading into the wild, emphatically NO WAY. We are not just talking to each other here, we are talking in front of lurkers and visitors whose knowledge of our terrain is insufficient. I hope everyone who wants to go where JA & Diggety et. al. go is as well prepared as they are, and as responsible about assuming the risk.

[/quote]Legends and reality rarely coincide. Legends are what we wish to believe. Reality is what we learn from experience or that of others. You can live your illusions if you choose, but you would live to regret taking the route of legend. I seriously discourage freelancing off the backside. BTW, there are many other potential/possible explanations for the shadow effect on JA's pix. Make no assumptions without confirmation, IMHO. Wandering around in the woods can be fatal or at least expensive. There were 2 boarders lost off the backside of Killington a few years ago who were charged big $ for their rescue, and they were lucky,--- they got rescued.[/quote]

Hmmmm, I think I remember a backcountry cahr bomber lost a hundred yards from the pahrking lot at Killingotn and rescue hung up on him.

Was the whistle in question the infamous Fox40. If not there's you problem. Nothing beats a Fox40.........

I think people get too worked up about whether something is revealed or what other people do. First I'd say that few people actually point out actual powder stashes on this forum. Those that do get ripped apart pretty quickly. It has nothing to do with safety, but more to do with keeping a hidden chute secret and untouched. Second everyone is responsible for their own actions and should know their own limits.

Now let's all hope for some more snow otherwise we'll soon be talking about Mountain Biking egresses. Where's that March dumping when you need it.