Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Demo, Demo, Demo.................

Go over to Mountainside and see Brook. He'll set you up real good. He's been taking care of my family for the last 20 years. Dave is also one of best boot guys in the Valley as well.

Re: Fatties

Quote Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
    also, anyone using the Marker Dukes with the Mantras?
    Marker Dukes rule. I've skied on Fritschi Freerides in the past and these were good for the bc but didn't feel that solid at high speeds, hammering bumps, etc. While the Dukes are a bit heavy in the bc and you need to take them off to release the heel, they are a downhill binding that you can take into the bc and feel just like any solid downhill binding when you're skiing. I have a pair on my Line Prophet 100's and love the setup.

+1 for Brooke @ Mountainside -

+2 for mountain side

Dave has been fixing my skis for two season now. Quality of work is great and compared to other experiences, they do a better quality job.

Good to know about the Dukes. Evogear.com is running a 25% off their outlet prices this week and I picked up a pair of Dukes at a pretty reasonable price. I'll demo some skis and see what I can find next.

If you don't need the din setting that goes up to 16 the Marker Baron is slightly less and I think it is slightly lighter too.
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Dins

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    If you don't need the din setting that goes up to 16 the Marker Baron is slightly less and I think it is slightly lighter too.
    That raises a good question, how do you know if you are on the correct DIN? What's a good standard measurement to use?

Re: Dins

That raises a good question, how do you know if you are on the correct DIN? What's a good standard measurement to use?
    The DIN setting is the standard. The setting depends on your height and/or weight, boot sole length, age, and style of skiing.

http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/nax...o_mount_5.html

The page is about Naxo bindings, but the DIN setting chart and the instructions below it are universal (for DIN-compliant bindings).

Strato 102

I like usin my Strats in all conditions! 210 CM I also got a pair of them Lang Comps with the yeller liner. The Red Neck can ski!!!!!!!!!!!!!

102 or 105 RNM

using the real strato, which is the 102 or the newer 105. Also, the comp came with a white liner to start, sounds like yours are kinda new. Me, I got the Pro's with the blue liner, predating those fancy comps, and they got Jet Sticks on 'em!

Alpine boots for AT

Boots are just as complicated as which skis to use for AT. So far the Volkl Mantras and the Dynastar lines have been recommended for skis but what about boots?

Do you prefer to use Alpine boots for both resort and AT skiing? Or do you have a quiver of boots; one for resort and others for AT?

The Marker Dukes I ordered came in yesterday. What a burly binding that is, but surprised at how light it actually is.

Re: Alpine boots for AT

Boots are just as complicated as which skis to use for AT. So far the Volkl Mantras and the Dynastar lines have been recommended for skis but what about boots?

AT
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Re: 102 or 105 RNM

Quote Originally Posted by ahm
    using the real strato, which is the 102 or the newer 105. Also, the comp came with a white liner to start, sounds like yours are kinda new. Me, I got the Pro's with the blue liner, predating those fancy comps, and they got Jet Sticks on 'em!
    I skied on my Rossi Strato's, 207cm, I bought in 1969 for many years which was before the 102's. They are the real Strato's.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Let's go digging into the skis graphics for some history....

By 1956, a new manager filled the shoes of Abel Rossignol. His name was Laurent Boix Vives. He began to focus on activities in the ski industry. In 1959, Rossignol designed a ski called the Allais 60. It won the downhill ski event at the 1960 Olympics in Squaw Valley. The popularity of Rossignol skis exploded.

By that point, it was time for skis to grow up and move to the next level. That's when the Rossignol Strato 102 was developed in 1965.

"Strato 102 skis were the first skis made with fiberglass and wood," says Pierre Langlois, a Rossignol representative. "It was the first ski that was easy to ski on. It brought a lot of new skiers on board. Rossi introduced the use of fiberglass in skis to make them lighter and more responsive."

The Strato ski became one of the greatest industrial achievements in the history of the ski industry. By 1972, Rossignol became the world's leading ski manufacturer with subsidiaries in several countries.

SRO: I seem to recall it a bit differently. I did a bit of digging and came up with this. Do you still have the ski. Sometimes names even on historical websites get changed around a bit. For instance, the ROC was actually the ROC 550 and the ST was the ST 650. That was the actual graphic on the ski as my brother had both pairs. I think if you keep looking, you'll realize it was indeed the Strato 102. But we'll both keep looking and see what we find.....................

Re: Let's go digging into the skis graphics for some history

Quote Originally Posted by ahm
    By 1956, a new manager filled the shoes of Abel Rossignol. His name was Laurent Boix Vives. He began to focus on activities in the ski industry. In 1959, Rossignol designed a ski called the Allais 60. It won the downhill ski event at the 1960 Olympics in Squaw Valley. The popularity of Rossignol skis exploded.

By that point, it was time for skis to grow up and move to the next level. That's when the Rossignol Strato 102 was developed in 1965.

"Strato 102 skis were the first skis made with fiberglass and wood," says Pierre Langlois, a Rossignol representative. "It was the first ski that was easy to ski on. It brought a lot of new skiers on board. Rossi introduced the use of fiberglass in skis to make them lighter and more responsive."

The Strato ski became one of the greatest industrial achievements in the history of the ski industry. By 1972, Rossignol became the world's leading ski manufacturer with subsidiaries in several countries.

SRO: I seem to recall it a bit differently. I did a bit of digging and came up with this. Do you still have the ski. Sometimes names even on historical websites get changed around a bit. For instance, the ROC was actually the ROC 550 and the ST was the ST 650. That was the actual graphic on the ski as my brother had both pairs. I think if you keep looking, you'll realize it was indeed the Strato 102. But we'll both keep looking and see what we find.....................
    I am looking at them right now....they are just Strato's, the 102's came out a couple of years later. Saloman 444 bindings. I was a intern with the NSP at Gore then. My cousin was my sponsor. I actually was not looking to buy a Rossi as they had de-lamination problems but the new models had a rubber tip put in that year to fix that problem so my cousin took me down to the Rossi distribution center in Latham, NY It looked like a 1000 Rossi skis lined up in that warehouse so I picked out a perfectly matched pair. I haven't skied them much in the last 25 years but I did take them out in the spring last year. The white sticker I put on them when I got them says " it takes a Rossi to catch a Rossi".

www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Re: Dins

Quote Originally Posted by daevious
    The DIN setting is the standard. The setting depends on your height and/or weight, boot sole length, age, and style of skiing.

http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/nax...o_mount_5.html

The page is about Naxo bindings, but the DIN setting chart and the instructions below it are universal (for DIN-compliant bindings).
    This is actually a more interesting topic than people give it credit for. True, there is a DIN standard for release, but as captain barbosa said, they're more just guidlines. At a certain point they don't make much sense. If you assume the DIN setting is there to release your ski before causing injury, factoring in BSL ofcourse makes sense, but the height and weight part starts to get tricky. By their logic, a heavier or taller person has stronger ligaments. I just don't know if there is any physiological evidence to back that up.