Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Can't help you (my Alpine Options store in VT experience)

Date: 3/6/09 10:30 PM
    Disclaimer: I do not question the fact that business owners should be running their business as they see fit.

Poor planning on my part leaves me in Vermont on Friday night with securely locked roof box while the key to it sits at home in Boston. Roof box contains my sons skis and poles which he will need for Saturday. It is customary to compete in CastleRock Extreme on skis, so I figure we need to come up with a backup plan. Competition is the following day so I do not want to deal with getting skis in the morning. Since Alpine Options is open late I head over there to rent a pair of skis. We have been looking at JR Mantras anyway, so this seems like a good opportunity to check them out. Get to the store and they are somewhat busy, a couple of families are getting rentals. I ask for skis in 125 length, and casually mention that I am looking for something that would work well for the competition. At this point a manager type tells me: "If your kid is doing the competition, I can't help you. Skis are meant to enjoy the snow not tear them up on rocks on Lift Line." He then walks away and young clerk starts working on someone's application. I stand there for a minute, realize that this meeting was over, digest the message and leave the store.

If you are not familiar with the mountain, the comp is held on a natural snow trail with a few boulders and a couple of headwalls where people have to navigate the rocks. Due to recent melt fest rocks are pretty exposed, there is also a couple of grass patches that kids were hucking/skiing over. Obviously the risk to leave some ptex on the hill was there. I would have been Ok with older pair of skis that had been trashed before, damage deposit, paying for full tune if skis got damaged, whatever. However, I was not offered nor did I get a chance to suggest those as potential solution. I am also pretty sure there was a dozen kids in the competition on seasonal rentals from that store.

Moral of the story? Keep your mouth shut and ask for forgiveness not permission...

That's to bad and a bummer to hear. Joe usually does a good job and is willing to help out. Curious who made that statement. I would think that they would at least rent you some skis with a discalimer that you own the dammage. I will be sure to convey this story to the owner directly and see what he says.....
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

*gulp* I would be interested in Hawk's findings.
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

That's unfortunate. I've always found everyone at AO to be very helpful and polite. Must have caught someone on a bad evening (but no excuse).

The Rules

....."ask for forgiveness instead of permission"

.....Never break more than one law at a time.

......There is no limitation on heckling

BTW, I sympathize with your point of view. At this time of year the shops have all kinds of youth demo skis which will be on sale at giveaway prices in a few days, if not already.
    Your son's performance in the CRExtreme was outstanding. In another year or two the shops might be looking to sponsor him.

He was very gentle on his skis... There was not reason for the concern.
    (Photo by J. Atkinson)

Quote Originally Posted by gone.skiing
    He was very gentle on his skis... There was not reason for the concern.
    (Photo by J. Atkinson)

I'm going to guess that when you said they were for the comp that Joe knew pretty much exactly what the skis would go through, and was rightfully insulted. They are HIS skis afterall... Look at the pic, would you want a set of skis that you are looking to sell in the upcoming weeks skiing over that garbage?

Thats like going to a Subaru dealer and telling them you want to test drive a car... But oh by the way, I'm going to go offroad rally racing in it....

Let’s be realistic here. If your son was skiing castle rock all weekend chances are those skis are definitely being returned with some damage. Returning damaged gear always results in complications and it was probably best for you and the store to not rent the equipment. I’m not saying you wouldn’t step up and pay for the damages but most times people don’t.

That aside I think it would have been fair to offer you the rental if you were willing to purchase the skis in the event they were significantly damaged. Would you have accepted that?

I'm really surprised to hear that, usually those guys are good. Those skis are a drop in the bucket as well, seriously not worth that much. From a business sense those skis have probably been paid for 3 times over. they retail for 200$. He must know how hard your kid rips and knew there would be some granite involved. Next time drop me a line, I'll sponsor him

DP: Great post as usual. Like I said, I completely respect the fact that shop can do whatever they want. However, any shop that rents gear for the season to seasonal kid skier at Sugarbush knows that they will be in the woods and on the rock. That is part of the deal, this is not Okemo. Having a policy (other than we can't help you) for these cases would make sense to me. If I was test driving a car, could I take it on the road or just around the showroom floor?

Madhavok: probably depending on the price. I definitely would have given my credit card as damage deposit. Filling in a couple of scratches is not that expensive. Kids don't gouge them too deep or blow edges like adults. $20 surcharge on top of a punch in the 10 tune card usually returns my adult skis to pristine condition at VT North shop. I can't imagine him doing anything to the skis that $50 won't fix, but that is what rental agreement is for. I am sure it covers all the fine points.

Telepow: thanks man. I will be looking for you. Next time we get snow let's sync up and shoot some pictures.

DP: Great post as usual. Like I said, I completely respect the fact that shop can do whatever they want. However, any shop that rents gear for the season to seasonal kid skier at Sugarbush knows that they will be in the woods and on the rock. That is part of the deal, this is not Okemo. Having a policy (other than we can't help you) for these cases would make sense to me. If I was test driving a car, could I take it on the road or just around the showroom floor?

Madhavok: probably depending on the price. I definitely would have given my credit card as damage deposit. Filling in a couple of scratches is not that expensive. Kids don't gouge them too deep or blow edges like adults. $20 surcharge on top of a punch in the 10 tune card usually returns my adult skis to pristine condition at VT North shop. I can't imagine him doing anything to the skis that $50 won't fix, but that is what rental agreement is for. I am sure it covers all the fine points.

Telepow: thanks man. I will be looking for you. Next time we get snow let's sync up and shoot some pictures.
    Seems to me you went into a place you dont frequent, told the guy you were going to be skiing rocky exposed terrain and he didnt want to rent to you. Now you're complaining about it on the interwebs but maintaining he has every right to not serve you. ps the lg dare SUCKS at the internet..

You didnt ask for a seasonal rental. you asked for a daily rental on a particular day and trail where ski damage was highly probable... Not to mention you were likely the tenth person looking for skis for the comp that day...

With your signature line you are lecturing me about complaining on the internet....

I don't know how all shops handle it, but I know at least one that offers insurance. If you don't get it, you pay for any damage.

I really don't understand why he wouldn't be willing to just rent them with that understanding.

I have heard only good about the shop, so am surprised to hear this. Sounds like a bad business decision as it would have been so easy to make you happy and keep himself protected.

On another side, I know Rick, at Ski Sharp used to let you demo his skis with the understanding that it was not an all day demo. You took them for a few runs. He asked that you only skied the snowmaking trails. But he didn't charge you for the demo. I have no idea if he still does this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

That shop has a strict NO RUSSIANS ! rule.
    No rubles accepted.