Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FYI

Lostone,

I agree. All I wanted to convey was that the "public" discussion of names (even if there are several used) will result in more traffic. I'll leave it at that. Enjoy the nice day.

I know of a great restaurant in Warren, but I am not going to tell you where it is, what it serves or when it is open, because I might not be able to get in when I want to on a Saturday evening, or it may result in slower service.

This whole "code" thing is silly. It is one thing if you participate in trail creation or maintenance and want to "reserve" a spot (albeit on property you don't own) for yourself. It is quite another thing to insist on secrecy about a spot you just happen to know about but had no role in creating or maintaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugaree
    I know of a great restaurant in Warren, but I am not going to tell you where it is, what it serves or when it is open, because I might not be able to get in when I want to on a Saturday evening, or it may result in slower service.

This whole "code" thing is silly. It is one thing if you participate in trail creation or maintenance and want to "reserve" a spot (albeit on property you don't own) for yourself. It is quite another thing to insist on secrecy about a spot you just happen to know about but had no role in creating or maintaining.
    You're totally right - we should just put up big trail signs on the top of all known woods lines. If anyone ever asks about good trees, you should lead them into a line that someone worked hard to cut in hopes of finding powder one day. Here's to skiing icy bumps in the trees

This is an interesting debate. I agree that some of this is silly since I am assuming it is a select few who actually maintain and cut the lines and, unless they are all posters on this board, were shown the lines by a friend or followed someone into the woods. So to complain about "others" discovering the line when you in fact were an "other" prior to your own discovery seems a bit weak. I also think the code argument is weakend by people who flaunt the fact that "they've got a secret". Not everyone does this and I am not going to review posts to cite examples but I have seen many examples of people considering themselves part of some inner circle secret society because they know where all of the secret stashes are hidden. I think this type of behavior promotes people like myself to want to follow people into the woods or ask around about good unmarked tree lines much more than if it was never discussed at any level.

I can also appreciate that prior to my discovering tree skiing that a "code" existed so, out of respect to the select few that do cut and maintain the lines, I abide by the code. I guess I would prefer that if you didn't create the line or maintain the line you recognize that we are all entitled to ski it and it is impolite to whisper.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugaree

You're totally right - we should just put up big trail signs on the top of all known woods lines. If anyone ever asks about good trees, you should lead them into a line that someone worked hard to cut in hopes of finding powder one day. Here's to skiing icy bumps in the trees
    There's a big difference between uttering the name of a tree run and advertising it's location to the general public. The former means absolutely 'nothing to those who are unfamiliar. I can't understand this taboo about uttering the names. I don't even know the names to most of the tree runs I do. sometimes after I do them I don't even know my own name. Some of you need to lighten up.

Signs would be fine. How about "Uptight Trees", "NDA Woods" or my favorite: "The Confidentiality Zone."

In all seriousness, no one is talking about taking out an ad in the Valley Reporter describing the tree lines. But what's wrong with word of mouth? I have discovered many tree lines because people do talk. If I want to bring a buddy with me or tell someone, so what?

We tell the kids not to name names, because many names are wrong or at least non-descript. Call it what you want, but know where you are. What's left, what's right, what's below? How far? Any water, ice or cliffs? Am I ready?

There are more than four thousand acres on this side of the ridge alone, plus MRG and more. I skied lines off Gate House today that were fresh. But I also respect the code, which is to help with legit work and no chit-chatting in the lodge or lift-line. There's a little something to be said for the mystique of the mountain, better revealed gradually and all the sweeter for the finding.

Prepare. Explore. Discover. Be better here.

John

^^^^^
    Love the stokage.

Very well said! Atkinson nailed it. Especially regarding orientation.

I love the ski pole shot.....do ya think the woods are filled in yet
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    We tell the kids not to name names, because many names are wrong or at least non-descript. Call it what you want, but know where you are. What's left, what's right, what's below? How far? Any water, ice or cliffs? Am I ready?
    It wasn't that long ago that you weren't supposed to go in the woods at all. we used to to sneak around to enter and exit to avoid getting "busted".

things have sure changed for the better.
    I'm from Vermont and I ski where I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Tracks
    Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    It wasn't that long ago that you weren't supposed to go in the woods at all. we used to to sneak around to enter and exit to avoid getting "busted".

things have sure changed for the better.
    Or worse depending on how you look at it.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!