Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FYI

FYI

Mellon called it day @ 8:30 this morning. It was pretty wild up there with constant knock you on your ass wind gusts. When I left Mellon, LP was on windhold with the slightest of chances some lifts might spin. If the forecast holds up, tomorrow should be epic if you stay away from wind blown areas. I bet the woods tomorrow will be unreal.

www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

They sent all us liftys home at 8:15 this morning from LP.... blowing so hard that one person got swept off their feet. Report from the Limo said there was 0 visib.
    Not looking good for any lifts to spin. Guess its possible they could scrounge and get a couple ops to run, but the forecast is calling for winds like this all day. Wish I'd known before I made the trip in, though the drive home an hour after coming in was easier than the drive in.... no way to predict this kind of stuff though.

Get some rest and prepare for tomorrow!

i just returned from LP. Got a ride up on the lincoln limo to top of VH double. Very windy, chairs on VH were blowing all around. Skied Gangster. Everything is drifted with wind slab and powder. Technically demanding and awesome. Will be back tomorrow morning for another try.
    I'm from Vermont and I ski where I want.

Me, Boze and the boys were lucky enough to catch 2 trips up in the cat. Did Gangster and the Mall. Very wind packed with huge drifts. Exhausting.
    Bummed i had to drive home. tomorrow should be great for those lucky enough to be there.

How come I've never heard of "Gangster('s)" until this weekend? I mean it doesn't take a genius to figure out the general area, but it's just funny that after a few years of lurking around these forums I still run into publicly tossed-around names that I haven't heard before...
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    How come I've never heard of "Gangster('s)" until this weekend? I mean it doesn't take a genius to figure out the general area, but it's just funny that after a few years of lurking around these forums I still run into publicly tossed-around names that I haven't heard before...
    You're not alone, Strat! I originally thought the reference was that Last Tracks had to ski like a gangster.... complete with bling and wearing a hat or helmet backwards. Come on, doesn't everyone wear their season pass off a solid gold dollar sign hangin' around their neck?

Maybe Stein's was a gangster
    Or maybe Ravenna's
    Everyone knows real gangsters hang out in Eden

Names are everywhere.

I was sworn to secrecy about a named section of woods that everybody skis.

I've been invited to another "secret stash" by name, to find out I'd been there two runs before.

Where this one is, gets narrowed down by where they were... but you may ride it by another name, or none at all.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

What I wonder more really is where these names come from... I don't know the exact location of the Orchard but one can assume that it refers to the general forest character over there... Bear Claw is earthy at least... Gangster seems quite random though.

What I wonder more really is where these names come from... I don't know the exact location of the Orchard but one can assume that it refers to the general forest character over there... Bear Claw is earthy at least... Gangster seems quite random though.
    I had no idea what "gangster" was called until someone led me there this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    I had no idea what "gangster" was called until someone led me there this weekend.
    But you had most likely skied it before just calling it "the woods off of _________"

"A line by any other name would ski as nice (with three feet of fresh)"

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    But you had most likely skied it before just calling it "the woods off of _________"

"A line by any other name would ski as nice (with three feet of fresh)"
    Exactly.

Well it seems I grotto go there! Or - been there - no more than 5th ot 6th this weekend, then again, entrances are where the skinny keep out those that like width.

Just someone take me to Jerusalem please, this would be the week too.

Do we really want to be throwing the names around? Just asking. My thought process would be that if you hear a name you will start asking around about that spot, and find it. That is what I have done/do. In fact, I heard about one this weekend on the bus......still looking but, yes I will get it.

Names, names, names....everybody's got a different name... I listen to all of the old timers and just stick with what they say. It's kind of funny how some get bent out of shape if you don't call it right...

Anyway, I am sure that if you buy Treeskier a beer he would fill you in on some of the origins of the names....or maybe not.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

THE REAL NAME IS NOT Huey's Chute.