Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    That was me leading those kids and they are the only group on the mountain at that time, by design. The Mountaineering Blazers start earlier than the rest of the groups in order to be able to catch opening chairs at Castlerock or Heaven's Gate or North Lynx.

I heard a great addition to a well-known quote the other day, "No friends on a powder day, no enemies either."

John

p.s. To get back to the original question, several of the kids said it was the best day of the year.

Please....no....not the ski school cutter "issue".

I was there with my boys in line when John and the Blazer pack came down downspout into the ski school line. 94% friendly heckling, 6% sour-puss grumbling. Do I imagine that the 6% pretty much grumble at home, at work, at the mini-mart, etc. Just an educated guess....and perhaps I'm wrong.

Anyways, we "lost" about 5 chairs to the group, and were about 25th chair up. And.....amazingly....we skied untracked the entire way down. The herd had thundered hither and yon. We slipped into the seams in between. A little creative thinking was all it took.

The parents of those kids paid very, very well for that time-saving privilege. The members of the adult lesson groups and solos do so also. I can understand the dissenting opinions on the issue expressed above, and respectfully disagree.

And I'm just funnin' with my non-scientific sour-puss grumbling calculations, assumptions, & accusations....

Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    That was me leading those kids and they are the only group on the mountain at that time, by design. The Mountaineering Blazers start earlier than the rest of the groups in order to be able to catch opening chairs at Castlerock or Heaven's Gate or North Lynx.
    What makes them different from other Adventure Blazer groups? I would imagine all kids would like to leave the meeting spot in time to catch first chairs up higher

Quote Originally Posted by gone.skiing
    Quote Originally Posted by atkinson
    What makes them different from other Adventure Blazer groups? I would imagine all kids would like to leave the meeting spot in time to catch first chairs up higher
    The mountaineering blazers meet and leave before the other groups, I think.

Having 2 kids in blazers I have no problem with them getting line cutting privileges. The issue on saturday was that there was the usual powder day large group waiting for the HG to start, when John and the kids came down. There is 'nothing more frustrating than waiting for a lift to load on a day like that. It's just envy which melts away as soon as you get into the freshies. Either way, we caught up to John and crew in Paradise and it was one of the sweetest runs of my life. The snow was so deep I couldn't even see one of the little ones. He was just a cloud of powder

some of you say that if you want an early chair, you need to get there earlier....

how early do you have to be there to not get cut by the blazer group on a powder day?

Talk about entitlement, this poor dude was on the road at 3:45 in the a.m., gets to the mountain early, waits at the HG chair and then gets snaked by John and his brood. Who is the one behaving like they are entitled? The guy on the road at 345 in the morning, waiting 20+ minutes for HG to spin or the "Johnny come lately brood."

Some of you say 5 chairs is no big deal, it works both ways. If it is no big deal for the guy waiting for the chair to spin, why is it such a big deal for the blazers to burn that line of people?

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. What it is, is disrespect for everyone around you waiting. THe lack of respect is what the big deal is.

Blazers want first chairs, get their a$$es up that hill earlier to get in line like the rest of the cattle. Change the program so that the kids get dropped off earlier and get up the hill earlier, then its legit, no cutting necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeme
    Blazers want first chairs, get their a$$es up that hill earlier to get in line like the rest of the cattle. Change the program so that the kids get dropped off earlier and get up the hill earlier, then its legit, no cutting necessary.
    I would sign up for that. We end up bailing on the program on powder days because of 9:15 drop off. Logistically it maybe hard to organize the early drop on powder days, but coming back down at 9:15 when you should be at HG or CR at 8:40 makes no sense.

some of you say that if you want an early chair, you need to get there earlier....

how early do you have to be there to not get cut by the blazer group on a powder day?

Talk about entitlement, this poor dude was on the road at 3:45 in the a.m., gets to the mountain early, waits at the HG chair and then gets snaked by John and his brood. Who is the one behaving like they are entitled? The guy on the road at 345 in the morning, waiting 20+ minutes for HG to spin or the "Johnny come lately brood."

Some of you say 5 chairs is no big deal, it works both ways. If it is no big deal for the guy waiting for the chair to spin, why is it such a big deal for the blazers to burn that line of people?

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. What it is, is disrespect for everyone around you waiting. THe lack of respect is what the big deal is.

Like I said, there isn't anything more frustrating than waiting for a chair to load on a powder day. But to put it in perspective, the blazer group including John took 3 chairs, so that added about 30 seconds or so to the wait.

and don't cry for Boze, we got the 4th chair on the super bravo at 8, and plenty of fresh off the HG.

Respect? What does this have to do with respect? This sounds more like sour grapes to me. Actually this is policy that has been in order for as long as I have been skiing. What makes this generation of entitled skiers any better than the past.
    You ask how early do you need to get there? Well the last storm I did 2 runs on SB and then went straight to HG at 8:30. I was second chair behind Wolfy as usual. From that position the Ski School could not get in front of me.

If it means that much to ski the trails ahead of everybody I suggest the following:
    Join Black Diamond
    Join Bushpilots
    Get a private lesson
    Hit the Lincoln Limo
    Quit your current job and get a job in the ski school
    BUY A CLAYBROOK UNIT

I tell you what, I was in that line behind Boze and Howie about 10 or 15 chairs. I skied 3 runs before moving on and all 3 were totally untracked. There is plenty for everybody.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    Respect? What does this have to do with respect? This sounds more like sour grapes to me. Actually this is policy that has been in order for as long as I have been skiing. What makes this generation of entitled skiers any better than the past.
    You ask how early do you need to get there? Well the last storm I did 2 runs on SB and then went straight to HG at 8:30. I was second chair behind Wolfy as usual. From that position the Ski School could not get in front of me.

If it means that much to ski the trails ahead of everybody I suggest the following:
    Join Black Diamond
    Join Bushpilots
    Get a private lesson
    Hit the Lincoln Limo
    Quit your current job and get a job in the ski school
    BUY A CLAYBROOK UNIT

I tell you what, I was in that line behind Boze and Howie about 10 or 15 chairs. I skied 3 runs before moving on and all 3 were totally untracked. There is plenty for everybody.
    sour grapes my ass broseph....I get more runs in before lifts turn on my own 2 feet than most can scrub all day, so no need to throw out that tired b.s. at me. Now, I can see from the fact you quoted part of my post, that you can read. How is your comprehension? We'll try again. If it is such a non issue for you or I, (the general public) to get snaked 4 or 5 chairs. Why is it such a big deal for someone who came to the party late to hit the end of the line and wait their turn. I am referring only to waiting for the chair to turn, not regular operation during the balance of the day. I fully get that the brood's parents paid to have them in a program to learn and time not turning is time not learning. Again, start the program EARLIER, get the crew to the lift EARLIER and there is no issue. What ENTITLES you to cut me, when I have been waiting here for the chair for 20 minutes? If it is such a big deal for the blazers to have 1st tracks, get there earlier. What if the crew asked you to move back from the spot you held so they could squeeze you out and slide in front of you? How bout this, next powder day, while you're holding fast to your spot at HG and the blazer crew comes down, you move back and let them cut you, I mean it's no big deal right, and you were only there at the front of the line waiting for 10-20 minutes cause it's no big deal right. If it's no big deal, why wait for the chair to spin at all? Just roll in 10 minutes after it starts spinning. I mean, it's no big deal, right?

I fully get that there is enough mountain for all of us and that there are plenty of tracks left to get, it is the principal that you think it is cool to get there late and say screw everyone else, I want to go up FIRST. That is bs.

Hey, I once threw a persons skis out of line on a powder day. The dude left his skis to save his spot in line.....was gone for about 15min. Lift was loading ooops!

Also....how can you complain on a powder day???? C'mon! A stellar pow day!!! Geesshh! After the 1st chair all is forgotten...
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Your right Freeheel. How can you complain? I guess it was the constant complaining about trivial things on this site that got me going. Ridelikeme is obviously worked up about this. I should know beter. Actually he sounds very similar to someone on another thread.

I will say this, I could give a rats ass less about it. I would think that with all the boastful talk that he has something to prove or has a chip on his shoulder. But actually he's chewing gum.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    I could give a rats ass less about it.
    +1. 63" of fresh! Don't worry, ski happy.

While we are on the topic, I have a question about powder day lift line etiquette. Is it acceptable to get on line before the lift starts loading and then have others join you a few minutes later? I boot up with my son in the GH lodge and he usually takes a little longer to get up to the lift.

FWIW-while I was in the line waiting for the SB to start this weekend, two older folk, weaseled their way two chairs ahead of me while I was standing around.

John A is getting kids excited about skiing by taking them up early to ski some powder. These kids are the future of our sport. They will go home and gloat to their family and friends. They will remember those runs for the rest of their lives. I was on line at the Bravo chair, when John and his posse jumped on. I was psyched for them, and recognized the wonderful opportunity that these KIDS were given by a mountain that cares about kids and gives them opportunities that no other mountain does. This is one of the things that makes SB so special (that and the other trails I can't talk about?!?).

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2
    While we are on the topic, I have a question about powder day lift line etiquette. Is it acceptable to get on line before the lift starts loading and then have others join you a few minutes later? I boot up with my son in the GH lodge and he usually takes a little longer to get up to the lift.

FWIW-while I was in the line waiting for the SB to start this weekend, two older folk, weaseled their way two chairs ahead of me while I was standing around.
    Now howie respect your elders!

I wouldn't really have a problem with someone "saving a spot" on a chair for someone else. It's kind of like holding a seat @ the bar for your buddy who is habitually late.

Europe is another story. There is no etiquette. Totally insane!
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."