Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

LP Village Phase II: Almost Shovel Ready?

When leaving work tonight, saw fresh paint and stakes marking out the new buildings to replace the interim village. One was labelled "Adventure Center SW Corner" or something of that nature. As a former surveyor of 8 years, I notice stuff like that. The stakes extend uphill through the "Terrain Garden". Looks like the buildings will not extend into the "drop-off" zone, but will extend uphill a little and come quite close to the Village Chair's loading zone.

This is very tangible evidence of construction in the near future!

Re: Almost Shovel Ready?

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay
    When leaving work tonight, saw fresh paint and stakes marking out the new buildings to replace the interim village. One was labelled "Adventure Center SW Corner" or something of that nature. As a former surveyor of 8 years, I notice stuff like that. The stakes extend uphill through the "Terrain Garden". Looks like the buildings will not extend into the "drop-off" zone, but will extend uphill a little and come quite close to the Village Chair's loading zone.

I noticed that to. FWIW, the village chair's loading zone will be moving as well, a little bit to the NE if the renderings are to be believed.

I also heard this week that the Kids Ski School bldg no longer includes space for day care. If this is true, it's incredibly lame and short-sighted on numerous fronts. Perhaps it's money, perhaps it's on the advice of the new design team, or maybe a function of state outdoor space requirements for day cares, but it's absolutely brainless to keep day care on a separate island like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay

I noticed that to. FWIW, the village chair's loading zone will be moving as well, a little bit to the NE if the renderings are to be believed.

I also heard this week that the Kids Ski School bldg no longer includes space for day care. If this is true, it's incredibly lame and short-sighted on numerous fronts. Perhaps it's money, perhaps it's on the advice of the new design team, or maybe a function of state outdoor space requirements for day cares, but it's absolutely brainless to keep day care on a separate island like that.
    That is so stupid it's hard to believe

I also heard this week that the Kids Ski School bldg no longer includes space for day care. If this is true, it's incredibly lame and short-sighted on numerous fronts. Perhaps it's money, perhaps it's on the advice of the new design team, or maybe a function of state outdoor space requirements for day cares, but it's absolutely brainless to keep day care on a separate island like that.[/quote]

That is so stupid it's hard to believe[/quote]

I agree the decision is terrible. I saw the presentation to the Board and it was indicated that the day care would remain where it is. This is a complete pain if you have a toddler and other young skiers -- 2 separate drop offs and pick ups. There are now going to be three new buildings with an overall decrease in square footage. While I like the appearance of the buildings and that 3 smaller buildings helps change the scale of the project, it would be much better, imo, to keep day care and kids school together.

Shovel Ready

For more info -- check out town of Warren website and application before Board

http://www.warrenvt.org/depts/drb/20...oe%20Groom.pdf

check out this as well

http://www.valleyreporter.com/index....5&limitstart=5

Ski school and day care don't have to be in the same building. It takes all of 10 seconds to walk from one structure to another at the base. So having the services in separate structures will have minimal impact on a very few and zero impact on the rest. Besides maximizing the space for the ski school is smart & future looking. I expect ski school services will continue to grow plus I’m sure ski school creates more revenue than day care.

Having four girls, and having to do the morning drop offs at both micro bear den and mini bear den, this is a hassle! I don't think the two necessarily need to be in the same building, but being within walking distance of each other will certainly take allot of stress out of multiple driving drop offs, and get Mom and me on the mountain much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by madhavok
    Ski school and day care don't have to be in the same building. It takes all of 10 seconds to walk from one structure to another at the base. So having the services in separate structures will have minimal impact on a very few and zero impact on the rest. Besides maximizing the space for the ski school is smart & future looking. I expect ski school services will continue to grow plus I’m sure ski school creates more revenue than day care.
    Wrong.

Day care is remaining where it currently is - quite a bit more than a 10 second walk from where the ski school will be.

This is so incredibly short-sighted, it's difficult to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by madhavok
    I have to disagree with you on this. Most families have more than 1 kid. Getting small kids ready to ski is a huge PIA and not a pleasant or relaxing experience to say the least. To have to take a child to be dropped off at ski school on the mtn, then go to a different location to drop off for day care, then come back to the Mtn to ski, is a huge issue. Obviously, same problem in the afternoon when it's pick up time. Furthermore, parents of day care age kids are generally concerned about the toddlers welfare, especially when they are leaving the little ones with strangers in an unfamiliar day care setting. If the day care is on the Mtn, the parents can check in on the kids, or at least have comfort in the fact that if there is a problem, they can easily drop by. If it's off Mtn, as it is now, that is not possible and therefore the experience is less pleasant. We had friends up last season who had to do this, with one kid in ski school and one in day care, and they were not happy at all. I believe it played a large part in ruining their experience at Sugarbush.

FWIW, I don't dispute the inconvenience factor relative to the ski school. Having the skischool and day school close to one another obviously be more convenient to the majority of visitors, but there is other criteria to consider. One reason to leave the Day school where it is might to not sever the strained and distant connection between the new and the old. Having the Day school there can only drive more activity in that direction that can only help Mountainside, Miguel's Mutha Stuffs etc.

We're up just about every weekend, and our 18 mo. old is at the Day School almost every weekend. Again, not factoring in the distance/convenience, I do like visiting the village. And I like that it is off the beaten path because it makes finding a parking spot for drop is not too bad.

We're on mountain so our getting kids to where they need to be is easier than the majority. And certainly easier than the infrequent visitor that doesn't know the ropes. Just .02.

PS They do a nice job there too.

I must agree with tin and howie - if keeping the day care in it's current location is accurate, this is a major PITA.
    Does anyone know for sure this is Wins/SV plan?

Re: Shovel Ready

Quote Originally Posted by sgottmann
    For more info -- check out town of Warren website and application before Board

http://www.warrenvt.org/depts/drb/20...oe%20Groom.pdf

check out this as well

http://www.valleyreporter.com/index....5&limitstart=5
    Thanks for those links. Let's see where this leaves us:

1) Day care continues to be off-site, thereby maintaining the current PITA process for the foreseeable future.

2) No bar/lounge space to make up for the inevitable loss of space in the VH lodge whenever it is torn down, thereby corwding the CR Pub right back to unacceptable levels on weekends and holidays.

3) No place for parents to sit around with little kids if they just want to relax while spouses or other loved ones ski. The cafeteria upstairs in GH isn't ideal for that (lots of people/activity, especially between 11-2) and you get snarky looks and comments from the staff at CR Pub if you try to do it there.

But hey, at least there will be a Discovery Center! As opposed to other recent decisions which have no practical impact on the customer experience, this represents one epic FAIL on the part of SB mgmt. They are reserving 4500 sq ft of space for new residential in a world in which they can't even sell the remaining 20% of units in Clay Brook.

Of course it will be great to have first class ski school and rental facilities, but the original concept with everything in one place seemed the right approach to me. Sounds like racing programs are going to be somewhere else to. I sure hope they aren't too far down the road to modify the plan. What the hell were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale
    FWIW, I don't dispute the inconvenience factor relative to the ski school. Having the skischool and day school close to one another obviously be more convenient to the majority of visitors, but there is other criteria to consider. One reason to leave the Day school where it is might to not sever the strained and distant connection between the new and the old. Having the Day school there can only drive more activity in that direction that can only help Mountainside, Miguel's Mutha Stuffs etc.

We're up just about every weekend, and our 18 mo. old is at the Day School almost every weekend. Again, not factoring in the distance/convenience, I do like visiting the village. And I like that it is off the beaten path because it makes finding a parking spot for drop is not too bad.

We're on mountain so our getting kids to where they need to be is easier than the majority. And certainly easier than the infrequent visitor that doesn't know the ropes. Just .02.

PS They do a nice job there too.
    If driving traffic to SB village was a concern, I don't understand why the future residential building would essentially have it's rear end facing the village, almost cutting off LP Village from SB Village. It has to be either an issue of money, or state regs. It's difficult for me to believe that the smart people running this mountain would have made this choice based on any other factor.

Ok, I was using 10 seconds figuratively not literally. It’s not a big deal to drop the toddlers off then park the car or head to ski school drop off. In reality there is a limited and small amount of real estate at the base of Lincoln Peak. Personally I think it smart and forward looking to maintain this limited space for services that need to be on the mountain. While yes it maybe more convenient to have day care at the base, it can still operate successfully off mountain at its current location.

It was a very thoughtful decision. Microbears are being located here, so all the on-snow activities will be in one building. The cost of also including a regulated day-care facility also in this building is what drove the decision. We have a certain level of funding and that is going to dicatate what we can build. The existing building in the Village is where our year around day care will continue to be located. We can provide shuttle service as well.

In my humble opinion, this is going to be a great gateway into Sugarbush and families and others will find it convenient and very attractive.

You might all also know that very few resorts are going to be building anything in this climate!