Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Gonna have to rename you...

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol
    Driving advice: In the name of all that is good and holy, keep right except to pass..... [I'm looking at you guys with MA, NY or CT plates, VT'ers seem to have this one down....]
    ..."Dawn da Troll" if you keep it up. Everyone knows the "don't keep righters" aren't guys...they are all gals with NJ plates. Get your facts straight !

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol
    The Roxbury Gap is definitely the fastest way.

Driving advice: In the name of all that is good and holy, keep right except to pass..... [I'm looking at you guys with MA, NY or CT plates, VT'ers seem to have this one down....]
    Not that it's relevant to anything other than DP's out of stater hater advice, but this guy in the truck VT Plates.

It"s been my experience that you really have to decide the route based on current driving conditions. I89 can become a skating rink especially when it has just started to snow. I heard last Friday Night there were 8 Flatbeds out picking up the cars that left the road between Exits 4 & 5. I think one was a Trooper's Car that was hit by another car that was traveling way too fast in the left lane.

The Exit 3 route even though longer and quite possibly slower due to slow moving traffic is IMHO safer

If the weather's clear Exit 5 to the Gap is the best.

Wow, great responses. Thanks all. I'll check out the routes...I do have a great snow car (AWD Subaru) and am experienced in witner driving, but I would like to do the gap route when it's light out....

Thanks again for all the advice. Hopefully see you out there....white helmet, prolly red shell, pair of Line Prophets, name is Joe. Pumped to get back up there. I was there for a pow day a few weeks ago, it was great.

Just an FYI, Bethel Mountain Rd has plenty of good frost heaves, probably not the most comfortable ride.

I agree with rhm's point about the driving conditions dictate what route to take. I try and avoid I-89 after Bethel as it seems that Friday nights are brutal with skiiers driving way too fast and not realizing that that stretch of road can get slippery and black ice real quick.

I have had some success with the Roxbury Gap, but more times than not , I skip it. Once I had to rescue a couple (with a cat , too) who flipped their SUV over and skidded half way down the other side. Last year, I had to turn around as there were many cars off the road. That is really irritating as you have to backtrack.

Bethel Mt. gets very large frost heaves late in the winter so be careful.

You only save about 10-12 minutes going over Bethel Mt.

About 20 minutes with Lincoln Gap.

Watch out for the moose in Granville Gulf; they will always win.

Quote Originally Posted by John Walden
    I agree with rhm's point about the driving conditions dictate what route to take. I try and avoid I-89 after Bethel as it seems that Friday nights are brutal with skiiers driving way too fast and not realizing that that stretch of road can get slippery and black ice real quick.

I have had some success with the Roxbury Gap, but more times than not , I skip it. Once I had to rescue a couple (with a cat , too) who flipped their SUV over and skidded half way down the other side. Last year, I had to turn around as there were many cars off the road. That is really irritating as you have to backtrack.

Bethel Mt. gets very large frost heaves late in the winter so be careful.

You only save about 10-12 minutes going over Bethel Mt.

About 20 minutes with Lincoln Gap.

Watch out for the moose in Granville Gulf; they will always win.
    I always watch for moose but have never seen one. Seriously, I think I may be only one who has never seen a real moose. I even camped out for 4 days in the granville gulf without a moose in sight. They're very stealthy, to me. My sister was bitten by a moose........

They tend to hang out by the marsh in the forest. I have seen two in the past 8 months. Do you remember the one at the Sports Center a few years ago? It came right up to my ramp in Sugarbush Village; it had to be 8 feet tall and ugly! How does one get bitten by a moose?????????

We almost ran into the moose that resides in the woods at MRG between Chute and Fall Line. We were 5 feet away as it starred us down, so we backed up mighty quick and got out of there.

If you really want to see a moose, give it a few runs and you will likely run into him, maybe even literally.

Quote Originally Posted by John Walden
    They tend to hang out by the marsh in the forest. I have seen two in the past 8 months. Do you remember the one at the Sports Center a few years ago? It came right up to my ramp in Sugarbush Village; it had to be 8 feet tall and ugly! How does one get bitten by a moose?????????
    No, really. She was carving her initials into his hide with an interstellar toothbrush

That was a little joke for those fans of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I'm up from Jersey every weekend, my house is off Camp Brook Road (Bethel Mt. Road), been driving this road for 30 yrs, since it's been paved all the way up and over, both towns do a pretty good job of keeping it clean and clear. An awd will have no problem heading up and over. Just be careful past Sargents drive doesn't get much sun, quite slick, and slow down way before the stop sign on the Rochester side, can't tell you how many folks i've yanked out of the snow bank. Mac's has good cuts of meat, but i think they close around 7. The bethel central market has awesome cuts of meat, and fresh fish deliveries on thursdays.

Moose...

Watched one get hammered by the vehicle coming toward us on Route 73...about a mile West of Brandon Gap. They are definitely big and fuzzy and black like ink at night.

Mostly see them during summer, but have seen the one hit and another standing in road during winter weekend commutes.

The Mad River Glen website has pictures of the moose on Fall line. Pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by rfm
    It"s been my experience that you really have to decide the route based on current driving conditions. I89 can become a skating rink especially when it has just started to snow. I heard last Friday Night there were 8 Flatbeds out picking up the cars that left the road between Exits 4 & 5. I think one was a Trooper's Car that was hit by another car that was traveling way too fast in the left lane.

The Exit 3 route even though longer and quite possibly slower due to slow moving traffic is IMHO safer

If the weather's clear Exit 5 to the Gap is the best.
    Totally agree rfm. RT 100 may take a bit longer (if you encounter slower traffic). While 89 is an Interstate, people drive way too fast in less than ideal conditions. Often the mentality is that people think that because they have AWD or 4WD, they've got more control. However, most of the vehicles you see off the road are those same AWD/4WD's. Why? . . . All Season Tires. I'm getting way off topic here . . . but, make sure you've got good SNOW TIRES folks. Cheap insurance. A set of snow tires is probably about the same as your insurance deductable. . .

The most important part of the Friday drive from Boston is the time of departure and the route taken to 89. Excluding weather issues, if you can't leave by 3pm, you are better off leaving after dinner. If you can, take route 3 instead of 93, which can be a killer.