Trip Report 1/21/2009

Interesting day... couple of my friends called me up in the AM to go. We got their tickets and rentals and were ready at 9:30... then the lights flickered, and the mountain went silent. Word had it a transformer blew somewhere - heard conflicting reports of it happening on German Flats and up somewhere north of the Village. By 11, power was restored, and we got first chair on Bravo at 11:20. My goggles took a dive onto Gondolier, which I later retrieved, but now they are cracked slightly,... oh well.

Our first run was Birdland - freshly groomed to perfection. Next, Downspout, where I lost my crew, so I headed for Heaven's Gate. I gave Upper 'Grinder a shot, though it was a little slick in spots up top. Jester on the next run was much nicer and quieter. Arriving at the base, I hooked up again with my crew, we had a beer and some nachos in the Castlerock Pub, and then set back out and did VH Traverse to Snowball to Spring Fling, loosing another member of our party. Gate House was spining so we did some runs over there - freshly groomed Hot Shot-Waterfall, then a beautiful Birch Run, which was sooooo good it had to be done twice, the second time down to Sleeper. Returning to Super Bravo, we hit up Birdland again, taking that to Lower Jester and Header to the 'Rock Runout - which had some fun "whoop-dee-doos" on it. At the base, we found our lost 3rd member and after another beer break, hit up Hot Shot-Waterfall again.

Despite the morning delays, it was a great day... uncrowded slopes... and still courdoroy at 3 in the afternoon. Can't beat it!

YAY a trip report. Thanks Jay....
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

The reason for all the reports of transformer explosions is there were a bunch of them.

I was talking to someone who was describing the one that took her power when I saw the one that took mine.

Still, skiing was quite good. Didn't make it up to North Lynx today, but yesterday Birch was groomed super. Still my pick for the day was Morning Star. Few scratchy spots, but great snow!
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Birdland was my pick of the day, followed closely by Birch. Upper OG was slick in spots but looks like they're grooming it tonight so tomorrow it may be better. Still would like a little more snow on Morning Star before I tackle that this season... same goes with the 'Rock.

Hats off to Green Mountain Power. They responded quickly and got the power back on in a timely fashion. The problem started with a ground short high up in Sugarbush Village.