Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do You Miss the Spring Fling Triple?

So it has been about seven years since it was removed. Was this a good idea? It was sold to an amusement park. Should it have been moved to another location on the mountain?

I would have to say that I do miss having the Spring Fling Triple there. While it is nice to not have the traffic coming off the lift at the top of Spring Fling I really don't think the lift and tower placement effected the flow of the trail all that much. I always thought of Spring Fling as "South's Inverness" with a variety of terrain- sometimes low angle bumps on the lift-side (skier's right) of the trail, cruising on the other side, access to lower Moonshine/Twist and now Eden Woods. Now that Eden is so well developed, I know a lot of kids that would do laps in there. I am not saying we need to put it back, I just remember spending a fair amount of time over there when it was running.

Also- It's funny that amusement parks use ski lifts as "rides" while we skiers view a chairlift as just a means to get around.

Chairlift Soliloquy‏ - funny video for those who spend a lot of time on the lift...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUEQG8ixY-I
    I'm from Vermont and I ski where I want.

My buddy and I were at the Valley House. He needed to take a bio break. I figured I'd take a quick run up Spring Fling, while I waited. When he came out I was... at tower 3.

Still, would be handy for the end of the season, when they have so much trouble keeping the Snowball lane open.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

And that Chairlift Soliloquy was great!

Sent it to a bunch of non-skiers.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I can honestly say that I only rode it once or twice....and the comparison to Inverness is quite interesting and appropriate, IMHO.

I like Spring fling more without the chair. What I do miss (but not angry!) is when you could unload off the Valley house double left or right. Never saw it to be a problem, plus I think it caused less congestion on the traverse.

I don't miss it at all. I like the trail without it. Years ago I remember riding spring fling on thanksgiving and that was the only lift and trail open. It must have been around '87.
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Quote Originally Posted by madhavok
    I like Spring fling more without the chair. What I do miss (but not angry!) is when you could unload off the Valley house double left or right. Never saw it to be a problem, plus I think it caused less congestion on the traverse.
    I would think unloading left would make sense to avoid that bad bottleneck.

Agreed--don't miss it at all (and we're in Snowcreek).

Anyone got a pic of this thing ?

nm

I only remember riding it once, and I don't remember how fast it went, but I remember thinking "Hey, this would be a nice jaunt for a last run, cruise down Spring Fling or Snowball late afternoon, get a few more turns in before heading to the parking lot..." It's just such a schlep to get back over to that area when Valley House isn't running (most days of the year)... I would say I kinda miss it.
    Ithaca is (not) Vermont (but it is gorges)

Re: Anyone got a pic of this thing ?

Quote Originally Posted by smootharc
    nm
    Compliments of Chairlift.org:

The last pic is funny......"hey check me out, I'm posing in front of the Spring Fling Chairlift because I know that someday when this lift is removed I will be on Chairlift.org and SkiMRV.com!"

Love the chairlift.org pics.
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Funny - my cousin and I were just discussing this same topic an hour or so ago. I do miss it... it was great for a quick run to end the day... whether down Snowball or Spring Fling. On weekdays to reach that terrain, its a long traverse from top of 'Bravo, and on weekends, you have to either take the 'Bravo and fight the traverse, or hike up to VH.

I believe the ride time was the same as the VH - 6 1/2 minutes.