Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfingOwl
    Don't know if people would go so far as to not vacation at SB if there is not coverage, but it can be an issue.
    Indeed, people do make that choice. Verizon service to the MRV has been hard fought and going on for at least 3 years that I have been aware, probably longer. While I was not directly involved in the final realization of their arrival, I sure am glad!
    Susan Klein, Director, MRV Chamber of Commerce

From the view of a vacationer, this is just smart business. One of my hangups (pun intended) with SB was the lack of Verizon coverage. Whether it's being able to communicate with my wife on the mountain or the unfortunate times I need to be contacted for business (I loathe taking business calls on vacation) or a family emergency (the ski school asks for your cell number, for instance) being shut out of coverage for a week while on vacation can be a problem. Don't know if people would go so far as to not vacation at SB if there is not coverage, but it can be an issue. If you don't believe me, scan the Alpine Zone message boards sometime and you'll see threads regarding inquiries about coverage of carrier X at Mountain Y - obviously people care.
    Wow...I guess the cell phone is the new heroin and the crackberry is the new.......
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    From the view of a vacationer, this is just smart business. One of my hangups (pun intended) with SB was the lack of Verizon coverage. Whether it's being able to communicate with my wife on the mountain or the unfortunate times I need to be contacted for business (I loathe taking business calls on vacation) or a family emergency (the ski school asks for your cell number, for instance) being shut out of coverage for a week while on vacation can be a problem. Don't know if people would go so far as to not vacation at SB if there is not coverage, but it can be an issue. If you don't believe me, scan the Alpine Zone message boards sometime and you'll see threads regarding inquiries about coverage of carrier X at Mountain Y - obviously people care.
    Wow...I guess the cell phone is the new heroin and the crackberry is the new.......
    It's a part of life for better or worse. They have actually been around for few years in case you haven't noticed

FWIW, here's my 2 cents. As a person in a fast paced pressure cooker business, I truly enjoyed not having cell service at the mountain. I'm not telling my staff OR my wife i get service on the mountain. They need to reach me, call guest services and leave a message. I'll call back when i come out of the woods........

Quote Originally Posted by chuck
    FWIW, here's my 2 cents. As a person in a fast paced pressure cooker business, I truly enjoyed not having cell service at the mountain. I'm not telling my staff OR my wife i get service on the mountain. They need to reach me, call guest services and leave a message. I'll call back when i come out of the woods........
    Ahh! the luxury of skiing North! there still is no service at North.

Verizon

Coming up Friday for the first time this winter. Need to do a little work. Any word on Verizon coverage at South. Thanks.

There is Verizon coverage at South. We gave them a temporary tower last year, and they are now permitted for a permanent tower about Village Road. However, the permit did not get completed soon enough to et the permanent tower in by winter. Coverage works ok of LP side of the mountain. They are now talking to us about putting a tower at ME which is great news. Probably not this winter, though.

Quote Originally Posted by win
    There is Verizon coverage at South. We gave them a temporary tower last year, and they are now permitted for a permanent tower about Village Road. However, the permit did not get completed soon enough to et the permanent tower in by winter. Coverage works ok of LP side of the mountain. They are now talking to us about putting a tower at ME which is great news. Probably not this winter, though.
    Thanks for the update -- enjoy the powder.

Quote Originally Posted by win
    They are now talking to us about putting a tower at ME which is great news. Probably not this winter, though.
    There were some guys putting up what they called a "temporary Verizon tower" today at the bottom of Snowflake(old T-bar @ ME). They didn't say when it would be running though.

Are you sure that tower is not being placed to measure the snow totals at ME this winter?
    Stan

"There's No Cure For Life"

Quote Originally Posted by gostan
    Are you sure that tower is not being placed to measure the snow totals at ME this winter?
    I like the way you think!
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

There will be a temporary tower at Mount Ellen - hopefully by Christmas it will be operational and therefore even better coverage around the MRV.