Sugarbush: Viewed Through New Eyes

Good evening everyone - if you rode the Bravo today, you probably saw me. And you'll see me throughout the mtn, though I go by aliases just to keep things interesting.

Today I got to view Sugarbush from the eyes of the insider. I've always had respect for those who keep the mountain in operation, the trails safe, the snow coming from the guns, the removal of snow from walkways, etc, but after today I have even more respect. I'm proud to now be a part of that team. I thought about it today when I saw skiers and riders coming down with face shots, smiling faces, and stories from "up top". As I was at the bottom, the "old" part of me was wishing I was carving my way through the powder, but the "new" part of me was saying that I have a job to do. A small sacrafice to make sure everyone has a great day. And for me, it was a great day!

And I did manage to get in a few runs - conditions were great, and only going to get better!

Congrats and good luck

I did take a few runs on Bravo today.

Only person I saw that I didn't recognize was "Ross".
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I wonder if Ross is from Waterbury???

If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you are doing?

Cool

According to your blog it seems that you are working for lift/ops. Very cool. It seems like you're in good company. I get the feeling there are some good boarders running those chairs. It always seems like a lot of boarders work as lifties.

So what is your job? Are you loading/line management or are you running the chair? Does that mean that you get a free pass this season? Will you be able to give us on-mountain weather reports?

Dont' you guys know?
    Look at his avatar...he's the granite dood at the top of the steps...
    there is no crying, whining, or pouting allowed on the mountain. period.

Re: Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbooter
    According to your blog it seems that you are working for lift/ops. Very cool. It seems like you're in good company. I get the feeling there are some good boarders running those chairs. It always seems like a lot of boarders work as lifties.

So what is your job? Are you loading/line management or are you running the chair? Does that mean that you get a free pass this season? Will you be able to give us on-mountain weather reports?
    Past couple days, been scanning tickets at the bottoms. I know everyone loves getting their ticket scanned every time but its something that has to be done. As far as on-mtn wx reports... it was snowing like (you know what) when I left. It was about 7 deg at the base at noon. Definite advatage is I do get a free pass. I get in a run or two "real quick" at lunch and some near the end of the day. Lot of us are boarders, but some skiers in there too. Everyone is super cool and I've met nothing but nice people there, both employees and "guests". While I may get more actual days of riding in this year, those days may be only be a few runs here or there. This weekend and next week is going to be crazy, with a big snowstorm coming Sunday, work, a quick visit to CT, and somehow squeeze in some Christmas shopping without my truck windows freezing up.

So don't forget to ask me about 'Hulk' or my 'Heroes'.... I've heard 'em all
    See everyone out at the mtn - drive safe, ride safe, have fun!

Re: Cool

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardbooter

Past couple days, been scanning tickets at the bottoms. I know everyone loves getting their ticket scanned every time but its something that has to be done. As far as on-mtn wx reports... it was snowing like (you know what) when I left. It was about 7 deg at the base at noon. Definite advatage is I do get a free pass. I get in a run or two "real quick" at lunch and some near the end of the day. Lot of us are boarders, but some skiers in there too. Everyone is super cool and I've met nothing but nice people there, both employees and "guests". While I may get more actual days of riding in this year, those days may be only be a few runs here or there. This weekend and next week is going to be crazy, with a big snowstorm coming Sunday, work, a quick visit to CT, and somehow squeeze in some Christmas shopping without my truck windows freezing up.

So don't forget to ask me about 'Hulk' or my 'Heroes'.... I've heard 'em all
    See everyone out at the mtn - drive safe, ride safe, have fun!
    Good to see that you got a permanent nametag finally. No more being Ross for you.
    My personal favorite liftie name today was Buttercup.

I worked with Buttercup on Sunday at Bravo... that's not his real name. Everyone I work with is great - yeah, some weird names here 'n there, but all great people.

In fact, there's smiles exchanged from all employees all around. A great atmosphere to work in!

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay
    I worked with Buttercup on Sunday at Bravo... that's not his real name. Everyone I work with is great - yeah, some weird names here 'n there, but all great people.

In fact, there's smiles exchanged from all employees all around. A great atmosphere to work in!
    Yeah, I kind of figured that wasn't his real name. I've seen him down at Bravo quite a bit this season. I just thought the name tag was amusing.

You'd be surprised how many nametags do not match the person who is wearing them. Not so much this week, but last week, noone was who they were advertised as.... hence why I was Ross.

It made it difficult to try to learn the names of who you're working with. But we pretty much are all organized now.

Great day up at North Lynx today - those who were up there lapped it for a good portion of the day, despite some speed issues.