Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Lynx

North Lynx

Anyone else wonder why they did not open the North Lynx chair this weekend? I saw a few patrollers on the bottom of Birch Run Saturday morning. There certainly seemed to be enough snow up there to open.

My guess! Don't want to allow any easy access to slidebrook! The bus is not running yet. See if it opens next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by vonski
    My guess! Don't want to allow any easy access to slidebrook! The bus is not running yet. See if it opens next weekend.
    I think that is very accurate. It is also going to be interesting to see how the road out of slidebrook will shake out this winter with the new house.
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

I understand that the inspector who was to inspect North Lynx Friday skunked us again this year and went to a different MT instead of following his schedule. Hopefully he gets back on track and inspects North Lynx ASAP. I also understand that many spots in the valley where back to grass after last Wed.'s rain. Since the bottom of Slidebrook is our lowest elevation it concerns me that there probably is not enough cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskier
    I also understand that many spots in the valley where back to grass after last Wed.'s rain. Since the bottom of Slidebrook is our lowest elevation it concerns me that there probably is not enough cover.
    Yes. Someone will ski it though.
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Quote Originally Posted by freeheel_skier
    I also understand that many spots in the valley where back to grass after last Wed.'s rain. Since the bottom of Slidebrook is our lowest elevation it concerns me that there probably is not enough cover.
    Should be "Skied". Past tense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

Not I..... but I heard the war storys.

I understand that the inspector who was to inspect North Lynx Friday skunked us again this year and went to a different MT instead of following his schedule. Hopefully he gets back on track and inspects North Lynx ASAP. I also understand that many spots in the valley where back to grass after last Wed.'s rain. Since the bottom of Slidebrook is our lowest elevation it concerns me that there probably is not enough cover.
    That sounds more plausible then the slidebrook theory since they could just rope off the entrance.

If the reason was to prevent people from going into slidebrook, I find that to be a little inexcusable. Personal responsibility has disintegrated to nothing if buffoons can get mad at a resort because they decided to jump into a huge wilderness just because it was ahead of you when you got off the lift. There is such a huge difference between skiing birch run and jumping into slidebrook. This is the kind of thing I would shake my head at had i been up. Lower elevation, rare windholds, and a great place to warm up before you move onto other things OR take a few sunny laps before calling it a day.

If it was the grinch inspector, there isn't much to say.

I agree that if it was due to Slidebrook a rope and crossed stakes should have been a sufficient deterrent if the lack of snow at lower elevations and common sense wasn't enough.

So I would think it might likely be the inspector theory. I have a general question regarding this. Can the inspector only come during the ski season when a resort is functioning and the season started or X days in advance (Say 15 days) of a lift being opened? I ask because I know this has happened in the past and I'm always curious why the inspector wasn't called or brought in in October or November to view all the lifts in anticipation they would be opened for the season. Of course it may also be the inspector's schedule that is an issue if they are the only one for all of New England or something like that, but regardless something I've wondered about for a while. I.e. why are we waiting until now to request and inspection.

The reason is that is has not yet been inspected. The one Tram inspector for Northern Vermont was scheduled to be here Friday and blew us off for another resort. He is rescheduled for Wednesday.

Remember that we have 16 lifts and each has summer maintenance, so you do maintenance and schedule inspection in order of the opening of various lifts. North Lynx and Slidebrook will normally be the last to open so they will be the last to be inspected.

Maintenance begins when the resort closes in the spring and continues right up to opening day.

There you have it. A definitive answer. Thanks.

Not I..... but I heard the war storys.
    Isn't it "stories" rather than "storys?" Ordinarily I ignore making such posts, but considering its a correction for a corrector....

You are right. Dam that spell check.