Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I just showed the picture to my 10 year old and he immediately said it was Rim Run. So it must be!!!

why are there no bumps?

Since I was born in the 63 i have no memory or knowledge of ski areas in this era...one of the things I notice from these pics is it appears the trails look perfectly groomed...was this just the luck of the day they took the pictures or were there some type of groomers used?...if they used groomers back then what was the general plan?...or was the style of skiing back than a style which didn't produce bumps?

Quote Originally Posted by othripper
    Hmm....

I taught at Glen Ellen for a few winters in the 70's. What SB did to the SB and GE in the 80's remains a huge crime in my opinion. Anyone else remember the three huge rolls that used to be on Downspout?

Devil's Elbow was nothing like the Elbow of today. It was narrow and gnarly. I think this photo is from lower down on the trail. It really could be Elbow.

Mike
    Almost has to be Rim Run. Note, the location of the peak in the background.

Here's some more examples of the old Glen Ellen:

I wish they'd have left it alone... such a shame to see trails with such character widened and stripped of their unique, interesting, and enjoyable qualities.

Awesome Pics! What is the year?
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

why are there no bumps?

I think it is because skiers make bumps, and there were less skiers, so trails that weren't that steep wouldn't bump up.

Note: This may be a case of Guy Answer Syndrome.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Same old, same old...

It's funny how we always end up coming back to a few topics on this board... the (lack of) webcam, the above Inverness expansion, and not enough snowmaking...
    There's only so much to talk about. After all, it's just a ski area. It's not Jackson Hole and it's not in the swiss alps. It's an eastern ski area.

These are more or less the same topics that come up over beers at our ski house. With maybe a little more emphasis at the house on some of the lesser known parts of Sugarbush than we can cover in a public forum. There's no one keeping us on-topic at the ski house though. Hey, now there's an idea. Hey moderators, are you guys free Friday night at about 10:30? Can we pay you for your time with Harpoon IPA? (on tap of course.)

BTW, I think they should groom castlerock more... um... and add snowmaking on lift line. And damn, those trials are narrow. Couldn't we make them wider and flatter?

Hey, when will I be able to take my snowboard over to mad river?

Ha hah.

Let's try to keep this one on-topic. While I'm biased, I think the ongoing, and perhaps unwitting, destruction of the mountain forest (and along with it much of SB's character) is an important topic for discussion.

That said, I'm always down for free Harpoons.

I think that this topic is important so here is a suggestion on getting more info. We have a regional office/education center of the GMNF in Rochester right on Rt 100. If you stop in you can some awesome maps and even discuss with the several people that might be there on the wildlife, biological issues regarding the damage down by tree skiing.

I know many do not drive this way and your on the road when it's not likely they are open but if you are driving by during the week you should stop in. You can also go online and email questions or even call them directly. You might even get some cool maps/studies done about this issue. I would think the people charged with overseeing the balance of the NSF's mission of "multiple use" for decades, would be a valuable resource. Check it out.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Re: Same old, same old...

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbooter
    It's funny how we always end up coming back to a few topics on this board... the (lack of) webcam, the above Inverness expansion, and not enough snowmaking...
    There's only so much to talk about. After all, it's just a ski area. It's not Jackson Hole and it's not in the swiss alps. It's an eastern ski area.

These are more or less the same topics that come up over beers at our ski house. With maybe a little more emphasis at the house on some of the lesser known parts of Sugarbush than we can cover in a public forum. There's no one keeping us on-topic at the ski house though. Hey, now there's an idea. Hey moderators, are you guys free Friday night at about 10:30? Can we pay you for your time with Harpoon IPA? (on tap of course.)
    BTW, I think they should groom castlerock more... um... and add snowmaking on lift line. And damn, those trials are narrow. Couldn't we make them wider and flatter?

Hey, when will I be able to take my snowboard over to mad river?
    Woo Hoo! Free beers at Club Xstaski.......
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!