Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ski Was Great

Montpelier, Vt....Steamboat CO for next two years

Ski Was Great

Just got off the hill and its still dumping. great snow for november...thats right this is only november people, we all should just be lucky enough to be skiing and not complaining about how little terrain is open. I for one could not be happier with what we have soo early in the season!

You know I always like the positive attitude, but I hate the hippie love fest that everything is great let's be happy with what we got. I'm sorry. I don't mean to flame or anything, but I was disappointed that after 3 hours in a car and the costs associated with it all that when I got there Sunday I was just going down a run out. I'm assuming from your enthusiasm that HG is spinning right now. If it wasn't and you just had the run out as we did on Sunday you might be smiling, but deep down inside you know you'd be disappointed that more was not open.

So in summary. The snow is great. Yeah!!! Mother Nature is doing her job. Now let's get to opening terrain and getting the chance to enjoy the snow we have been blessed with.

Montpelier, Vt....Steamboat CO for next two years

Hippie I am Not

sorry sir i am not a hippie..not even one in denial. I just love to ski. take a look across the country, not a lot of places are even open yet! As for you driving 3 hours i am sure you knew ahead of time even with HG running there would be a run out. also i know others who were there on sunday and the lift did re-open. all in all just enjoy the fact that you can even ski before Tday...if its not up to your standards wait until it is...

Hmm. Not a hippie huh? Well I'll reserve my judgment then.

I was well aware of it only being a run out after HG. That's all it ever is and in fact I had a good time on Saturday with said run out, but only because there was other terrain open above it. I.e. Jester and it was puking snow. The later of which makes it hard not to smile. However when the HG chair stopped on Sunday it was plainly evident that the master plan might not have been all encompassing. There was snow all around, but nothing open to ski. HG chair did re-open, but I'm raising my eyebrow with the 2 hour turn around that is mentioned. It went down around 11 or 11:30 if I remember and we made it to about half time of the Pats game at Timbers before we decided to pack it in after looking up the mountain to see if it was running (which it was not).

Now maybe you can sit back and enjoy being on snow for the sake of being on snow. I've gotten past that miracle of science. I'm guessing your favorite ride at Disney is Its a Small World. Just sit back and enjoy the fact that you were privileged enough to pay your money and have a place to go. I'm sorry but I'm not. I sat all summer long with my skis in front of me in my office reminding me there's a reason I live in New England. The fact is we were not the only place open in the North East. There were other options, but as always I chose the Bush. Since I did I get the choice to voice my opinion. Now you have the privilege of reading it. or ignoring it.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!

Hey MntMan4Bush - you want some cheese with that whine???

It's still the beginning of the season suck it up.

Or why not do what these guys did and hike for your turns, it might ease up on your whining...

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141287

I'm a hippie and proud of it. Beats being a yuppie!
    Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
    Got two good eyes but we still don’t see!

Re: Ski Was Great

Quote Originally Posted by SKItheBOAT
    Just got off the hill and its still dumping. great snow for november...thats right this is only november people, we all should just be lucky enough to be skiing and not complaining about how little terrain is open. I for one could not be happier with what we have soo early in the season!
    + 1!

if i was three hours away instead of six, i would have skied the bush twice already.

Heaven's Gate was on wind hold. We only had Downspout. There were a lot of smiles out there. I'm a hippie... or I used to be, at least.

It ain't science. It is money. Would that there was enough to spend to install a system that could cover the whole mountain in 2 days, but so few people want to buy $1M passes.

I really asked a lot of people how their day was on Saturday. The results were 100% positive. Most were very positive.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

don't worry, as soon as i get my 1 trillion dollar bailout check i'll upgrade the system for free and buy you guys and domestic beer of your choice.

Sure. Sure. All is great. Bash on me for opening my mouth to say that I was not happy with the number of trails or terrain open. Good policy. Let's all just keep quiet. If the Bush just kept that one trail open all season would any of you speak up?? Probably not. You'd all be happy just skiing your one trail. So I'll sit back with my cheese and whine (Good one by the way. Never heard that one before. Maybe next you'll open with a Carrot Top joke. Points for originality.)

As for my science comment all I meant by that Lostone was that snow alone does not excite me. I'd like some terrain to go with it. The Ops Team did do a great job laying base down on the trails that were open and the falling snow gave a huge boost to the ski-ability. I think Tin said it and isolated my issue in that the capacity to blow snow is lacking and I wold like to see it improved. Had we more capacity maybe there would have been more terrain open which I would have liked to have seen. Also had you asked me on Saturday my response was positive. I also told Win as such when I saw him in Timbers after my day. However on Sunday my opinion differed and it emphasized the need for more terrain open on opening weekend.

I would like to thank Sugarbush in advance for being here 5/10/20 years from now by not blowing every extra dollar they may (or may not have) out the end of a snowgun in october and november and thus becoming a debt-laden shell of a ski area and forever bailing a sinking ship. Over-extension and crushing debt is all too common in the ski industry. I too would love to see more open but I am glad the current ownership sees the need to run Sugarbush like a business, sustainable with a long-range view. Keep up the good work and save some cash to get through this economic downturn.

Quote Originally Posted by flakeydog
    I would like to thank Sugarbush in advance for being here 5/10/20 years from now by not blowing every extra dollar they may (or may not have) out the end of a snowgun in october and november and thus becoming a debt-laden shell of a ski area and forever bailing a sinking ship. Over-extension and crushing debt is all too common in the ski industry. I too would love to see more open but I am glad the current ownership sees the need to run Sugarbush like a business, sustainable with a long-range view. Keep up the good work and save some cash to get through this economic downturn.
    Well said.

i beleive we have a bumper sticker in the making

SUGARBUSH Vermont
    quityerbitchin'

and saturday was great in my book. it's only gonna get better...
    there is no crying, whining, or pouting allowed on the mountain. period.

No one was asking for snow making in October. Nor too early in November but the week before opening weekend (which some consider the start of the ski season) might warrant a bit more attention. No one is asking to have had the whole mountain open as everyone likes to jump to that extreme conclusion. Although I do agree your statement of fiscal responsibility has merit and I agree. There is also a responsibility to the clientele who pay for the passes and a middle ground needs to be reached. I'm not asking for millions to be blown away (literally in this case through guns) at the start, but I'm also saying let's not be penny-wise and pound foolish by not pleasing the paying customer. I think that another run would have been prudent for the lower mountain. Obviously no one else agrees so I stand alone on this one. Regardless as a paying customer I get a say. Your responses about whining and bitching are the type of retorts I'd expect from a 3rd grader. I.e. they have no point other then to provoke and you can't hold an intelligent conversation. Flakeydog at least makes a point which is sound logic.

Also so far I see a lot of people saying "I had a great time on Saturday". Did you ski Sunday? If you did and you skied while HG was down were you not wishing you had more? If you didn't ski Sunday then thanks for your input, but its about as valuable as sand in the desert.