Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News

Very pumped to have Mexican back! Can't wait to check it out. Mmmmm enchiladas
    "Quietly Heartbroken Tennis Player."

yeah, i used to walk down to miguels from Mountainside....the new location will be even closer.

also, is still Bernard running Chez Henri solo?
    He's really a great guy, and I don't want to take away from that at all but I'd really like to see Henri one last time tearing it through the gates or over a bowl of french onion soup.
    But, that place is a classic no matter which one of them runs it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlucas
    yeah, i used to walk down to miguels from Mountainside....the new location will be even closer.

also, is still Bernard running Chez Henri solo?
    He's really a great guy, and I don't want to take away from that at all but I'd really like to see Henri one last time tearing it through the gates or over a bowl of french onion soup.
    But, that place is a classic no matter which one of them runs it.
    Or with a glass of red wine in his hand! ; }

I just hope it didn't sound like I was dissing Bernard, I used to wash dishes sometimes there during busy weekends many years ago when I was in college and I forgot to get my last paycheck for a bunch of days of work. It was on my mind next winter when it started snowing, and I went down there to get some dinner and to chat with my old peeps if they were still around when I mentioned the issue of the last check. Bernard apologized as if it was his fault and cut me a check on the spot.

Anyway, he's a class act and the food is dead on. I doubt that there is anyone on this board that hasn't been there but consider this a serious plug for the. I also hope they get a special place in the anniversary weekend because they are literally living sugarbush history.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    I'm cautiously optimistic. I like the sound of the family oriented idea.

While some of you had good times at the Phoenix, many of his neighbors had many problems from not being able to park in our parking lot, because of people parking there, to go to the bar, to an explosion, fire and significant damage. And there was a lot a lot between.

I don't miss the Phoenix at all.
    I think this is a little bit of NIMBY parochialism. If you love SB and want it to succeed long term, you have to realize that there must be something to keep the single 20 and 30 somethings interested on weekends and holidays. If that inconveniences you or your neighbors at times, I think that's the price you have to be willing to pay. You can't please everyone with any location.

Hopefully the CR Pub and the other new additionas in the Valley provide a bridge to a more active scene at the LP base area in 4-5 years time when (if?) the buildout is at a more advanced stage, a center of gravity begins to develop, and connectivity to the SB Village is established.

Sugarbush succeeded quite a while without the Phoenix. It was a poorly run operation whose price I was not willing to pay.

It may have been a NIMBY, but it was agreed by almost all in this building. Don't remember the Phoenix supporters trying to defray our significant extra costs. Quite the opposite, they could easily have made things better for the neighbors. They didn't. I don't miss the Phoenix, and those who do spent very little time around here.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Actually I think this could work out well if CR Pub picks up the nighttime party scene and starts booking bands at night. Sugarbush Village is a good location for a family oriented restaurant, but not as good for the nighttime party scene with all the condo's a few feet away and limited parking. CR Pub seems to be a better location for the nightime party scene as it is not as close to condos or Claybrook and has plenty of parking. As long as they can keep the partygoers from annoying the Claybrook folks.

Disclosure: I'm in the SB village - so I could be accused of NIMBYism. But I do like having a restaurant in the old Pheonix location.

Haha.. The title of this thread reminded me of:

Ladies and gentlemen, can I please have your attention. I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. I need all of you, to stop what you're doing and listen...

and

How now brown cow.. How now brown cow.... Unique New York.. Unique New York.

PS. Glad someone's filling the building, sad I can't eat mexican...

Thanks for the news, Win. Very happy to have Mexican back in the valley. Now, if we could just get some Thai and/or Indian, I'd be very happy.

As far as restaurants go, I'd like to see American Flatbread expand into retail space in the new buildings that might arrive in the next few seasons. People love flatbread and they're willing to wait an hour or two. There is definitely demand in the valley and it would really round out the base area. Especially if there was live music and more of a "scene" at the castlerock pub.

Of course, we'd have to make room for a fire pit near the beginner chair or something. :)

Quote Originally Posted by KingM
    Thanks for the news, Win. Very happy to have Mexican back in the valley. Now, if we could just get some Thai and/or Indian, I'd be very happy.
    I'll second that. Can't have everything but Thai and/or indian would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbooter
    As far as restaurants go, I'd like to see American Flatbread expand into retail space in the new buildings that might arrive in the next few seasons. People love flatbread and they're willing to wait an hour or two. There is definitely demand in the valley and it would really round out the base area. Especially if there was live music and more of a "scene" at the castlerock pub.

Of course, we'd have to make room for a fire pit near the beginner chair or something.
    That's actualy a really good idea. Question is whether they'd be open more than just Friday and Saturday.

I'm with Lostone. I have a unit in Center Village that was destroyed by an explosion/fire caused by a Phoenix patron. If anyone had been in the unit that night there would have been either a death or serious injury as the fire shot up the wall next to the bed. That I believe is a little bit more of an inconvenience than I should have to bear.

I will not miss the Phoenix with the cursing, loud arguments, and genereal mess that surrounded the place. I agree that 20 to 30 somethings need a place to hang--but that is not in an area where there is a high concentration of condos. It would be much better served to be located in the business district where music and loud noises won't disturb anyone.

I certainly hope that the Mexican Family Restaurant is a big success.

[quote="Tin Woodsman"][quote="Hardbooter"]As far as restaurants go, I'd like to see American Flatbread expand into retail space in the new buildings that might arrive in the next few seasons. People love flatbread and they're willing to wait an hour or two. There is definitely demand in the valley and it would really round out the base area. Especially if there was live music and more of a "scene" at the castlerock pub.

Question is whether they'd be open more than just Friday and Saturday.
    Real question is why would they want to do that? They are too busy during the week making and shipping out hundreds of pizzas to grocery stores in the northeast. Weekend is the only time the wholesale production is shut down. Maybe they can expand down the road but that would be counter-productive regarding the mission George has built the business on.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer

Question is whether they'd be open more than just Friday and Saturday.
    Real question is why would they want to do that? They are too busy during the week making and shipping out hundreds of pizzas to grocery stores in the northeast. Weekend is the only time the wholesale production is shut down. Maybe they can expand down the road but that would be counter-productive regarding the mission George has built the business on.
    I don't disagree with that at all. The problem is that I doubt they are paying rent in their current premises (safe to assume they own the bldg?), so opening the restaurant only Friday and Saturday makes financial sense. It would be really hard to justify same with an outlet in LP Village where the rent would be due every month. Given that the peak season is just 4 months long, you'd have to be open every day to justify the expense me thinks. IOW, I doubt it would come to pass.