Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Closed?

Phoenix Closed?

Say it ain't so?

It's so.

On the good side, there are plans to keep the Castlerock Pub open for evenings. And the Lincoln Peak base area is where the weekend Mad Bus will be waiting, when it is not on its route.
    Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

The Phoenix closed back in April. Anyone heard any word of somebody new moving in there?

I just cried a little bit inside...

Soo.. Where does the 21-35 crowd hang out?

[Moved to Valley forum]

The replacement for the Phoenix seems to be the Slidebrook, but maybe someone better informed on the subject might want to contribute?

No word on anyone wanting to buy the Phoenix. There were plans underfoot, that we were supposed to vote on, in our condo meeting, but they fell apart before we had our meeting.

I was pondering whether to put this in the MRV forum or the Sugarbush forum.. I figured it was on the hill so it should be in the Sugarbush forum like the Castle Rock Pub.. Or are we basing it on Sugarbush owned vs not?

Does anyone know what the asking price is on the Pheonix?

That's really too bad. If SB is going to hook the next generation of families, they've got to have something to offer 20 and 30 somethings before family time begins. The options are noticeably lacking in the MRV, and seemingly more so every year.

The Castlerock Pub is supposed to be open for late nights this year. Other than that it seems like it will continue to be a sleepy late night scene.

Tin Woodsman, I agree with you 100%. It is a huge mistake to ignore the next generation of families. It seems very short sighted to me. I am having a hard enough time keeping the 30's and 40's single crowd in the valley due to lack of fun and entertainment at night. Slidebrook is a great place but too small and really not set up for bands. The Phoenix was the only place that brought in bands "vacationers" enjoyed.

Slidebrook Lodge is a good place and gets sweet live music acts throughout the season, but I can't see it filling the void of the Phoenix. Slidebrook is small and was already pretty packed most mid-winter Fri and Sat nights last year. I only made it to the Phoenix once or twice last winter, and there were a ton of people there when I went. I can definitely see Castlerock Pub picking up business that would have gone to the Phoenix if it does stay open late, especially if there are live music acts. I also think that would be a generally positive thing for the resort.

Dawn Patrol, I thought it was fine where it was for just the Phoenix and Castlerock Pub, but moved it down here, to possibly include other places.

Also, I heard around 380K for the asking price.

Also new for this year, The Den is supposed to be reopening as a sports bar. What will it be like? How late will it be open? Those questions might have to do with how many people will go, and how often. That pertains to the Castlerock Pub, too.

I remember many people, when expressing sadness at the death of the Blue Tooth, saying they went there one night of each of the 2 or 3 weekends they were up here. Hard to keep a place open with that kind of business. They pay mortgages 12 months per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    Dawn Patrol, I thought it was fine where it was for just the Phoenix and Castlerock Pub, but moved it down here, to possibly include other places.

Also, I heard around 380K for the asking price.

Also new for this year, The Den is supposed to be reopening as a sports bar. What will it be like? How late will it be open? Those questions might have to do with how many people will go, and how often. That pertains to the Castlerock Pub, too.

I remember many people, when expressing sadness at the death of the Blue Tooth, saying they went there one night of each of the 2 or 3 weekends they were up here. Hard to keep a place open with that kind of business. They pay mortgages 12 months per year.
    I would agree, depending on how late the CRP is open and the type of bands they have (if they have any) it could fill the void. This place NEEDS very badly a place us young punks can hang out and blow our cash. $380k is a bit out of my price range right now.. Maybe if it's still for sale next fall...

Rumor has it . . . that someone is looking at the Phoenix and Warren House to possibly open a Mexican joint. It wouldn't solve the nightlife problem, but I'd be down with some good Mexican food.

I think the lack of nightlife is an issue for Sugarbush . . . but owning the Blue Tooth was also an issue for Sugarbush. Serving booze on the hill to a customer, and then again at a resort owned establishment off the hill can create somewhat of a liability issue when that customer is over-served and causes an accident.

It would be great if someone re-opened the Phoenix, but it's a tough sell and a big risk for a year-round business, especially at $380K. That being said, I'm sure the Phoenix would be available for lease. That's what Omar did when he ran the place. To bad he met a girl in California and moved west at the end of his lease.