Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Invest in Yourself

Yesterday my son, Win, emailed me with a thought. "Given all the turmoil and the angst of the markets, perhaps Sugarbush should suggest that now is the time to 'Invest in Yourself' and who better to help you manage that investment than Sugarbush. As I slept on that, I thought the kid came up with a really powerful thought. What do you all think of this?

After all, if you live in Boston that ROI is only three hours away and in NYC it is only 5 hours away ( at least how I drive!)

Invest in Yourself! It may be the best investment you've ever make!

Sounds like a good slogan, for sure!

Slogans over the years:

* Be Better Here (present)
    * Outside Everyday (SV)
    * Pure Vermont (early SV)
    * Live in the Outside (ASC systemwide)
    * Peace Love and A Ton of Snow
    * Where Great Skiers Ski (sometime 93-94)
    * Sweeter Than Ever (c 1991)

others?

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay
    Sounds like a good slogan, for sure!

Slogans over the years:

* Be Better Here (present)
    * Outside Everyday (SV)
    * Pure Vermont (early SV)
    * Live in the Outside (ASC systemwide)
    * Peace Love and A Ton of Snow
    * Where Great Skiers Ski (sometime 93-94)
    * Sweeter Than Ever (c 1991)

others?
    It's Sweeter Up Here
    www.firstlightphotographics.com
    Sugarbusher since 1970
    Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads.

As I see it the term "invest" has both positive and negative connotations, at the moment. The buying of AIG, the forced sales of other houses, the drop in retirement funds and the $700B bailout have given many people mixed feelings about the investment community. These can be argued well, but not sure you want to spend your marketing time and money to be part of that argument.

On the other hand, I don't think Be Better Here has really been given enough time to set in. I feel it works on many levels. Invest In Yourself does, also, but with Be Better, I think they are all positive.

On still another hand, this being the 50th, it might be the time for a new slogan... but I really don't have that many hands, so...

Two roads diverged in a wood,

and I- I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

"Invest in Yourself"

I'm no marketing guy, but I agree with Lostone--"invest" has too many negative connotations right now--save it for the bull market to follow!

Re: "Invest in Yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by Fourwide
    I'm no marketing guy, but I agree with Lostone--"invest" has too many negative connotations right now--save it for the bull market to follow!
    +1 I like SRO's "It's Sweeter up here"

I like "Be Better Here"

---"Be" is an action word...the act of "be"ing any number of things when you're at SB/MRV....a skier, a relaxer, a hiker, biker, eater, wedding goer, shopper....

---"Better" qualifies the "Be"ing part. Who doesn't want better ? You work toward it. Find challenge in it. Sugarbush Resort works toward providing it. A common goal for the customer....and the business entity that serves that customer.

---"Here" obviously where the pushpin on the map is stuck. And I like the Latitude/Longitude visual tie-in on some of the promo materials that define exactly the "here".

Rolling off the tongue....it sounds good. Sonically symmetrical, if you will.

In print...looks good. Visually symmetrical, if you will.

Catchy, spare, clear....with the ability to be applied to ANYTHING you might do in the valley. "Be Better Here", imho, is a great catchphrase for SB.

not exactly original...

http://www.amazon.com/Invest-Yoursel.../dp/0471248886

then again, it's better than investing in MER at $24.

Maybe if you're trying to sell off the remaining units in Clay Brook, "Invest in Yourself" works, but not for the great unwashed. I was always particular to "Pure Vermont", b/c I really think of the Valley in that manner, and for a large resort, SB is about as unspoiled as it gets.

Its a great slogan, it really goes with the times right now.

yea.. I'm not to keen on "invest in yourself" for a variety of reasons, most of which were touched upon here. Even the word 'yourself' is singular and isn't welcoming. Be better here is good. 'Peace, Love and a Ton of Snow' was by far the best slogan IMHO.

My $.02

Lostone is right on. Those of us at the economic level, that expect to retire on our 401K, have a bitter taste in our mouths with "investments". We feel like we've been had. And I don't think SV wants to tie into that.

On the other hand the Be Better Here is under promoted/explained. It does tie in all the thoughts of investing in yourself, your family.

It really does feel right, especially as this election season is coming to a close. The whole country is about to take on a positive attitude not felt since 1960. It is time to be Better. Be better now.

If the shoe fits....

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol
    yea.. I'm not to keen on "invest in yourself" for a variety of reasons, most of which were touched upon here. Even the word 'yourself' is singular and isn't welcoming. Be better here is good. 'Peace, Love and a Ton of Snow' was by far the best slogan IMHO.
    I agree that "Peace, love, and a ton of snow" is the best motto to date, but I offer "Sugarbush---Get Way Out There"

"It really does feel right, especially as this election season is coming to a close. The whole country is about to take on a positive attitude not felt since 1960. It is time to be Better. Be better now."

Perhaps some parts of the country...

Sorry--political comment--I take it back!

Re: My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by castlerock
    It really does feel right, especially as this election season is coming to a close. The whole country is about to take on a positive attitude not felt since 1960. It is time to be Better. Be better now.
    Did higher taxes really feel that good?? Lets keep the politics out of here.